Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Poor Dorothy Withdrawing due to injury is something that I don't want to see anybody have to do. I know the chances are next to nothing, but I really wish that they'd invite back all of the couples who have had to leave the competition early and haven't been able to go as far as they possibly could -- Dorothy, Misty May.. Jewel & Nancy O'Dell never got to perform. Just an invitation back whenever they are healthy and up for the challenge would be a nice gesture, IMO.

vCash
    Dorothy,classy as always, withdrew before someone had to leave the competition.

vCash
    Poor Dorothy. My heart goes out to her. If withdrawing can save her ability to skate, as well as to just live without yet another medical problem, it will be worth it.

vCash
    Did the doctor call her at 9:55? Or was she hoping that she'd be the one going home? Knowing the show, they knew well in advance but hid it for the drama.

I'll miss the always classy Ms. Hamill. Still a role model.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Oh no!! Why couldn't they have given Dorothy a Waltz as her first dance!

Well, I think its pretty much going to be Disney Girl and Kelly (Kelle? Kellie?) for the Final 2. Aly and Jacoby (because the football players always do well personality wise) will be the dark horses. The rest are meh.

And it amazes me how much Val dances like Max! Yeah they are brothers, but just because they are brothers doesn't mean they would move exactly alike. Its amazing how they dance almost exactly alike, right down to how they hold their heads and bodies and move their arms/hands and legs/feet. I keep thinking I'm watching Max dance! Can they call Max back and have Max and Val do some kind of side-by-side solo number?

vCash
    What a shocker at DWTS tonight! I don't normally watch that show, but I was going to because Dorothy was in it. It was very classy of Dorothy to withdraw early enough to save someone else's spot. I am so sorry about her spinal injury. I would have loved to see her elegant dances. I am not sure who to root for anymore. Kellie looked very good, so may be her.

vCash
    So sorry to see Dorothy and Tristan having to leave. I do think she has tons of class, but she had trouble walking so it's not like she could've danced next week even if she had wanted to continue.

vCash
    I love Dorothy and I was hoping she would do well. I just don't understand why she signed up to do this at all when she already had back problems.

The stupid local dance instructor who comes on our local morning news every week to critique the dancers said basically it was no big loss because she wasn't a good dancer. Uh....................she was already in pain and couldn't practice. Didn't he watch the first week?

Ha. This is the same station that, while discussing "Rain" that is here in Dayton, one of the anchors said her favorite Beatles song is Imagine. I don't think she's going to be hearing a John Lennon solo song during the show tonight! Kids today. ha ha

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I read a while back that Misty May wants another chance at DWTS. She was campaigning on FB for it.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    No Dorothy. Makes it an easy choice now to watch the Voice. They beat DWTS in ratings both nights.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    I'm sad for Dorothy. I wish her a complete recovery.
    Unlike some others that have appeared on the show, she really wanted to be there.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post

The stupid local dance instructor who comes on our local morning news every week to critique the dancers said basically it was no big loss because she wasn't a good dancer. Uh....................she was already in pain and couldn't practice. Didn't he watch the first week?
    While I allow that I didn't find her "contemporary" all that world-beating either, at risk of sounding catty, is he a six-week wonder from Arthur Murray? It's not like there are a bunch of future Blackpool finalists on DWTS.

And yea, call me cynical, dbell1, but I had the exact same thought. The doctor called her ten minutes before the show ended? I have no doubt since she was able to appear standing up the producers asked her to come on and go for a 'dramatic last-minute reveal', plus allow them to show who were the bottom couples.

vCash
    I'm sure that they didn't have material ready to fill the time; so, needed to proceed "as usual" until the end.
    Even if that were the case, Dorothy handled the situation beautifully.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    One thing DWTS's producers have NEVER had an issue with is finding fluff/padding. This looked more dramatic, and I'm sure she made it a condition she got to do it nicely and not in a random or tacky way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    No Dorothy. Makes it an easy choice now to watch the Voice.
    There's no justice in the world when the delightful Dorothy exits our screens and Skank-ira remains.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Tristan deserves a ringer next season, if there is one!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    ^^ ITA!!! Tristan's so cute and talented. It might have worked beautifully with Doro too if she'd been healthy physically.

Awwww ... Well, at least there are lots of Dorothy skating clips on youtube.

Dorothy Hamill is class, class, class all the way. It's DWTS' loss that Dorothy had to pull out. Even hobbled by her body's aches and pains, Dorothy's heart and spunk were clearly visible. Tristan is top-notch and very sweet (he's great with all of his partners). I love the way Tristan and Dorothy interacted. They looked so good together! A waltz from them would have been so lovely to see. Maybe when Doro is healthy, she and Tristan might get together for some fun, private lessons. That would be so cool. If nothing else, DWTS should consider having all the contestants who had to pull out early due to injury come back sometime for special show dances.

I was definitely pulled back to watch DWTS this season because of Dorothy. Anyone who thinks Dorothy can't dance, simply doesn't know Doro and never saw her skate either. It was simply that her body wasn't going to allow her to do all the rigorous training required. I'll bet due to the show's schedule, the training is much more rigorous than the average ice show. Doro has a history of arthritis and obviously other aches and pains due to a lifetime of athletic performance, in addition to the difficulties of having an older body that is simply unable to bounce back in the way that younger bodies generally can.

In any case, most figure skaters will be able to do well on DWTS because they are used to performing choreographed moves and they are athletes. Look at Kevin Van der Perren, Evan and Kristi. The difference with ballroom vs skating are the feet and the upper body positions required of certain dances. However, most athletes are able to catch on fairly quickly. Witness all the ballplayers, gymnasts, Apolo Ohno, and also Kellie Pickler. Kellie is a former cheerleader and an onstage performer (she looks to be a fit athlete who also knows how to perform in front of people, plus her ace in the hole is Derek Hough -- Derek is a great dancer, teacher and choreographer ... but he always seems to luck out too with his partners). Kellie definitely looks like a professional dancer out there already.

Zendaya is simply a marvel. I've never heard of her before, but she's very precocious and she seems talented and graceful beyond her years. She does have an extensive performance background, singing, acting and dancing (but ballroom is different from other styles of dance). Not a bad partnering with Val, but Zendaya might have looked even better with Gleb who seems a bit taller. It was funny how Zendaya seemed to feel on the defensive about being the youngest. She said she just wanted to prove she could keep up with the older contestants. That was funny because clearly Zendaya doesn't realize that everyone probably secretly wishes they were sixteen again, or maybe that they had her gorgeous sixteen-year-old body combined with their own adult brains.

vCash
    Con: Dorothy is gone.

Pro: I don't have to DVR the show anymore.

vCash
    Does anyone know if Kellie Pickler has any dance experience or not? She almost looked like a pro.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Feet, and...um, really, unless you've done both seriously, it's kind of hard to explain how different the body use is. Though I think it is probably easier for skaters to learn to dance than dancers to learn to skate (not that you can get them onto the ice...chickens. Been trying to convince people for ages a skating party would be the PERFECT studio outing...wimps. At the very least it would stop them making ill-fitting skating analogies to movement in Standard dances.) Especially if you don't ACTUALLY drill serious technique THAT hard (as they don't on DWTS where they're going for speed. With the Standard dances, there are people who can do things like spend twenty minutes on toe releases. Why? I don't know. This is one of the many reasons I am just not a Standard girl. Which is kind of funny as I can be figures-era anal about things like MITF...) I would think the biggest advantage is similar to the advantage you get being a hip hop dancer or a Pussycat Doll---you are used to learning physical information relatively quickly and thinking about how to use your body in ways that aren't really natural.

And just raw discipline. Skaters and dancers from other styles (and here's where the general athletes come in) are used to being told "We have practice from 9-11" and knowing that means show up and WORK. That's not just physical discipline, that's mental discipline. Coming in with that already installed is a huge help.

Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast