Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    vCash
    ^^Quite a lot of skaters also take dance. It has been my experience that ballet, modern, jazz, etc help tremendously with upper body in skating. The only problem is, as you said, the feet. While a dancer is usually pointing their toe (and I think skaters, especially ice dancers should be as well) skaters standing feet are not pointed. And skaters typically bend their knees. It has also been my experience that ballet, et al, helps skating but the reverse is not true. Except for the presentation training aspect.

Wonder if they would ever consider an ice dancer for DWTS. Maybe not, because it is based in ballroom.
    Last edited by cruisin; 03-28-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Wonder if they would ever consider an ice dancer for DWTS. Maybe not, because it is based in ballroom.
    Yeah, I think it would be just one step too much into ringer-ism. Even if they haven't done anything specific in ballroom as part of their training (and I think quite a few elite ice dancers have at some point or other, if only as an adjunct to specific choreography in their programs), they certainly have knowledge about the rhythms involved.

Not that the CDs always seem to be such a great reflection of the ballroom equivalent, from what I can tell.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    Yeah, I think it would be just one step too much into ringer-ism. Even if they haven't done anything specific in ballroom as part of their training (and I think quite a few elite ice dancers have at some point or other, if only as an adjunct to specific choreography in their programs), they certainly have knowledge about the rhythms involved.

Not that the CDs always seem to be such a great reflection of the ballroom equivalent, from what I can tell.
    Personally, I think that it has more to do with fan base/name recognition. Even with all of the recent sucess of US Ice Dancers, dance is still not creating skaters with national name recognition.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Oh, I would bet Tanith (who was voted favorite Oly athlete on the ESPN site in 2006) would be a great vote-getter. But I agree, she's too close to real ringerism for DWTS.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    While I allow that I didn't find her "contemporary" all that world-beating either, at risk of sounding catty, is he a six-week wonder from Arthur Murray? It's not like there are a bunch of future Blackpool finalists on DWTS.
    I should check his credentials, but I think he is the owner of a dance studio that has been in the area for a long time. He, and a former Bengal cheerleader, are the "experts" that they trot out every morning after a DWTS show or elimination. He usually has pretty good insights and picks. And he is certainly old enough to remember Dorothy's skating career. Maybe he's just disappointed that she is not Kristy Yamaguchi (considering Dorothy is old enough to be Kristy's mother). I didn't see their critique after the first week, so I don't know what he thought then. I just thought the comments after she left for medical reasons were awfully cruel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    I should check his credentials, but I think he is the owner of a dance studio that has been in the area for a long time.
    Profile from internet (guess he might know what he's talking about a little, but being from Poland, maybe is not familiar with US figure skating before Kristy) -- originally from Warsaw, Poland where as a young teenager he began his ballroom dancing career competing in International Style Standard and Latin. During this time he won several titles in both the Latin and Standard divisions. He also taught and competed in wheelchair ballroom, in which he would lead paraplegics in specially made wheelchairs. In 1995 he established the first Wheelchair Dance Federation in Poland and became its first vice president. In 1996, he won the Wheelchair Ballroom World Cup in Holland with his partner.

After numerous championships throughout Europe, he came to the U.S. in 1998 and worked briefly in New York before joining the Dayton Arthur Murray Staff. He then rose to great heights winning the World Arthur Murray Rising Star Smooth Championship in 2003. He has also performed with the Cincinnati Pops and Symphony Orchestras.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    The Euro titles actually mean more than an AM championship, which is kind of a Mickey Mouse title--those are closed events so they're not competing as Open Pro, only against other AM pros. Usually an AM champion would get creamed in an Open event. But depending on who he was competing against and what exactly he won (Youth titles are nice, but it's not on a par with Open Amateur or Open Pro) he's not totally uninformed, just being pretentious (and clearly giving the dancing ability WAY more weight than DWTS tends to deserve....)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I've only seen the second episode, but now I understand why the silver lining of Hamill's withdrawal is the return of Gleb for at least one more week. Did they scour the planet looking for a Russian who looks a little like the young Tom Cruise, only much more and ? I hope Tristan gets a lot of work doing numbers and being brought in by another pro to help his or her charge.

I loved how Karina brought in that group of girls to whip the football player into shape. I love the football player, more than any of the past players. At least this week, he had stature and nice musicality. I was surprised at how agile the Bachelor guy was. I really liked Kellie's form, but she doesn't have much going on the diagonal or spiral: she's a straight up-and-down dancer and I found her a little stiff. The Disney girl is very talented. I can't believe that Aly Raisman is going to make me like Mark Ballas. I just want to hug her.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I've only seen the second episode, but now I understand why the silver lining of Hamill's withdrawal is the return of Gleb for at least one more week. Did they scour the planet looking for a Russian who looks a little like the young Tom Cruise, only much more and ? I hope Tristan gets a lot of work doing numbers and being brought in by another pro to help his or her charge.

I loved how Karina brought in that group of girls to whip the football player into shape. I love the football player, more than any of the past players. At least this week, he had stature and nice musicality. I was surprised at how agile the Bachelor guy was. I really liked Kellie's form, but she doesn't have much going on the diagonal or spiral: she's a straight up-and-down dancer and I found her a little stiff. The Disney girl is very talented. I can't believe that Aly Raisman is going to make me like Mark Ballas. I just want to hug her.
    I think we'd have gotten Gleb another week anyway (and I don't really like Russians as a rule but when he keeps his shirt on and avoids the five-o'clock shadow look Val seems to love...my my, they found a NICE one). Look at who you're forgetting...I really do think going by the look on his face Victor was sure he was about to be eliminated and I think of everyone concerned, he's least likely to have any fan-base crossover, and so far, there's nothing about his personality that's making me remember him. That's usually a bad sign.

vCash
    Dorothy Hamill will be interviewed on "The Doctors" this afternoon about her withdrawal from DWTS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Dorothy Hamill will be interviewed on "The Doctors" this afternoon about her withdrawal from DWTS.
    Did anyone watch this? Can you summarize, please?

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Thank you, skatesindreams. Very interesting.

vCash
    I will be voting for Victor and Andy Dick tonight in hopes that annoying Lisa and her silly dog go home!

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jkl View Post
    I will be voting for Victor and Andy Dick tonight in hopes that annoying Lisa and her silly dog go home!
    Can we vote for the dog to stay and Lisa to go home?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Con: Dorothy is gone.

Pro: I don't have to DVR the show anymore.
    Exactly my own thoughts. And I will save the money I've been paying on votes for Dorothy. Good riddance, DWTS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I thought Aly's dress made her look bigger than she is, but I was impressed with the cleavage - where did that come from?!
    Aly has definitely 'blossomed' since Olympics. It's her new puffed body, not the costumes.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Can we vote for the dog to stay and Lisa to go home?
    Oh sure that works for me. Gleb and the dog will do fine!

vCash
    Dorothy and Kristi sighting in the audience!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    way to put aly on the spot, pandaface
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast