Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Satisfied skating fan
    vCash

What's your electronic budget for the skating season?

We've had threads about clothing and makeup. What's your electronics budget for watching skating? I'm investing in a new 48" smart HDTV that I can watch IN and any online Olympic coverage. I have a smaller internet TV in my office, but I need a bigger one in the den so I can lounge on the sofa while I watch. I have my laptop, PC and ipad to keep up with FSU pbp. Some wine and chocolate and I'm good. What will you be watching?

And, I didn't shop at the Goodwill store.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I like to watch on my iPad3. The picture is so pretty.

vCash
    What's a "budget"?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I like to watch on my iPad3. The picture is so pretty.
    How do you get IN on your ipad?

vCash
    ^^^ Too true.

I bought a smart HDTV not really knowing what it was, but just needing a replacement tv. OMG - the thing is beyond fabulous! I am trying to find a smaller smart TV for my office.....I am sure it is a company expense!

I have my laptop, my desktop, my 7" tablet and phone.

It is a very busy season........follow the PBP, watch on line, watch TV coverage, and handle the paramedics whom I have to have on hand in case one of my faves skates, and I need oxygen, or heaven forbid, they win or lose, and I need reviving. Hazardous, I tell you!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    How do you get IN on your ipad?
    I haven't tried yet? Is it flash? Dammit.

vCash
    1) 1 HDTV
    2) Two Cable boxes - one with a PVR and one without; the PVR can record 2 shows at once but if I need to record a third (or more) show, I connect one of my recording devices to the cable box that does not have a PVR.
    3) My monthly cable bill - besides the obscure channels that show skating, I am a big fan of timecasting where I can record the east, central and west coast broadcasts (so I can watch US Nats live, even though I live out west); I don't care about HD as I cannot burn HD broadcasts on DVD
    4) I will order channels just for skating, ie. BOLD, RDS, TVJapan
    5) Four DVD Recorders with a HDD
    6) One DVD Player that can play dvds from Europe
    7) Blank DVDs to burn skating
    8) DVD Sleeves
    9) DVD plastic cases
    10) Storage containers to store dvds
    11) 3 old VCRs to record those 24/7 news channels during the Olympics
    12) 10-hour vhs blank tapes to record news channels
    13) an expander that gives my PVR more space to record stuff
    14) laptop - to catalogue my skating dvds, surf the internet, watch the occasional Youtube skating clip (I have no real interest in watching actual skating on the internet), book my tickets to skating events
    15) Postage when trading dvds

Besides the traditional electronics brick n mortar stores (I especially like Fry's), I check out craigslist for some of the machines that are becoming obsolete (DVD recorders with a HDD).

I will wait in line on Boxing Day for any new cable box or expanders.

I try to buy in bulk when there's a sale (so, I have A LOT of dvd sleeves). In terms of cutting my cable bill, my biggest worry is if I switch providers, what happens to everything I stored in my PVR? I am so behind my dvd burning!
    Last edited by manhn; 08-27-2013 at 08:16 PM.

vCash
    I'm investing in a new 48" smart HDTV
    And, I didn't shop at the Goodwill store.
    Will you be wearing socks when you buy it???

vCash
    Why would you watch new skating when you can get hand me down DVDs or videos from someone else?

vCash
    I have an old computer that barely works anymore. I plan to buy a screen wipe for it- so my budget is about 35 cents.

vCash
    I plan to subscribe to IceNetwork and I hope to attend a sectional competition that is driving distance from my home.

For TV broadcasts, I'll just watch on my TV. I don't have a good method nor the technical know-how (if the TV is even capable) to get Internet feed on my TV or even to be online in the same room where I can see the TV, and it's not worth it to me to invest lots of money in making that possible.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I plan to subscribe to IceNetwork and I hope to attend a sectional competition that is driving distance from my home.

For TV broadcasts, I'll just watch on my TV. I don't have a good method nor the technical know-how (if the TV is even capable) to get Internet feed on my TV or even to be online in the same room where I can see the TV, and it's not worth it to me to invest lots of money in making that possible.
    Ah, a sister under the skin. I have a nice TV in the living room, 38 inches, and a nice big monitor on my desk PC in my bedroom for IN. Theoretically I could get IN to play on my TV but haven't a clue how to do it and am not even going to try. As for FSU, at least I can get it on my smartphone since I have no tablet.

I am clearly poor and deprived.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash

I wish I could watch TV broadcasts on my TV; but NBC never seems to come in on my antenna after the digital conversion, because it is broadcast so low frequency now

However, internet on TV is really easy. We just hooked the computer to the TV as if the TV was a monitor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    However, internet on TV is really easy. We just hooked the computer to the TV as if the TV was a monitor.
    1) The TV is from early 2000s so I'm not sure if it's capable of receiving the signal.

2) I'd have to completely rearrange my living room and dining room/office in order to get the computer closer to the TV and still be able to use the computer (from a desk chair) and the TV (from a couch) normally the rest of the time. Already I have cables crossing a doorway on the floor and I don't want more of those, or worse yet through the middle of the room.

3) I'd have to figure out how to hook up the computer to the TV without disturbing the connections to the VCR/DVD player and/or cable box. I don't want to have to disconnect and reconnect those every time I change what I'm watching from where.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    The new smart TVs have WiFi. All you need is a router.

vCash
    The new smart TVs have WiFi. All you need is a router.
    Now if only it were in my budget to buy one . . .

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Now if only it were in my budget to buy one . . .
    Shouldn't have been buying all those new socks...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I haven't tried yet? Is it flash? Dammit.
    Re: IN - Instead of Safari, buy the Puffin browser app. It handles Flash sites well, although it is a little slow.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I know now that I wont be purchasing an IceNetwork subscription this year. USFS is trying to silence Jenny and Dave's The Skating Lesson and denying them access to many of the skaters they planned on interviewing...IN PERSON.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    A PC-TV converter (which I use more for non-skating programs)
    Videotapes and DVDs
    Bold subscription (may cancel now that Bold has been sold)

That's it!!

I still have the TV given to me by my neighbours when they got an LCD TV. It's a flat screen and the picture is fine. I do have a small LCD TV in the bedroom, and the picture is about the same quality as my older living room TV.

In general, I don't buy electronics unless I need to because I consider planned obsolescence to be a money grab. Technology producers exploit consumers by convincing them that they must get the latest smartphone or laptop, or whatever. This viewpoint obviously marks me as 'old', given that many younger people don't consider the purchase of electronics optional.

I can't justify buying a new TV because I watch very little TV. Also, my last dog used to jump up and put her paws on the screen whenever she saw or heard a dog on the TV, which meant we would have to reconfigure the shelving unit in which the TV was located to accommodate an LDC TV that should not be 'pawed'. Our new puppy doesn't seem so drawn to the TV, so perhaps it won't be an issue. Even so, I plan to wait some more before getting a new TV. I am interested in smart TV/computer combos, which will be the next generation, but want to wait for the price to come down.

I'm sure that the picture on an HDTV is much better than the picture on mine, but I don't even think about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast