Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 452
  1. #121

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33350
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post

    I heard that on the radio this morning. Yeah, as if competing is even an option. It isn't as if someone else murdered his gf and he decided to cancel all upcoming races to help in the investigation any way he could. He is in jail and without bail, right? His agent should have known better than to even say he would cancel his races, that doesn't come across right, not that murdering your girlfriend does either. I also heard that his sponsors are supposedly sticking by him. Yeah, right. Maybe they worked out some deal where they wont announce anything right now but it is coming and we all know it and so do the sponsors.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  2. #122
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,154
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46687
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I also heard that his sponsors are supposedly sticking by him. Yeah, right. Maybe they worked out some deal where they wont announce anything right now but it is coming and we all know it and so do the sponsors.
    Nike and Oakley dropped him earlier today.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  3. #123
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,077
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    His agent should have known better than to even say he would cancel his races, that doesn't come across right, not that murdering your girlfriend does either.
    It was probably his agent's attempt to make Oscar look good, as in, Oscar takes this issue so seriously that even if he got bail, he wouldn't plan to resume life like nothing happened. OJ Simpson looked pretty bad when he resumed playing golf right after he got out of the clink.

  4. #124
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,154
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46687
    Prosecutors accused Oscar Pistorius, the double amputee track star and one of the world’s best-known athletes, of premeditated murder on Tuesday, saying he opened fire four times on his girlfriend through a locked bathroom door after putting on his prosthetic legs and walking more than 20 feet from a bedroom.

    Mr. Nel, the prosecutor, said on Tuesday: “If I arm myself, walk a distance and murder a person, that is premeditated,” he said. “The door is closed. There is no doubt. I walk seven meters and I kill.”

    He added “The motive is ‘I want to kill.’ That’s it.”


    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/wo...arge.html?_r=0

    So there's the reason for the premeditation charge.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

  5. #125
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,349
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10728
    He is officially claiming that he thought she was an intruder - says he woke up and found her not in bed and was scared, and thought someone had broken in through the bathroom window - Reuters story.

    I'm sure there will be much discussion now about that bathroom window - how big, how accessible, if it was the most likely place for an intruder to enter etc. Also, according to the article, the bathroom was very small - 1.4 by 1.14 metres or about 4.5 feet by 3.7 feet - so she had nowhere to hide once he started shooting.

  6. #126
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Depending on what type of mental state Pistorius was in that night, it's possible that he thought he was shooting at an intruder through the bathroom's door. If Pistorius was a responsible and well-trained gun owner, you would think that he would've yelled out his girlfriend name first to make sure she was safe somewhere before shooting his gun at the "intruder". I'm sure the defense will go with "his mental state not being in the right of frame of mind that night" angle ....but his girlfriend was supposedly shot first in the bedroom before she locked herself inside the bathroom so that would be very difficult to explain.

    ETA:

    From the article linked by Prancer:

    He was nervous, he said, because the toilet window did not have burglar bars and contractors who had been working there had left ladders behind.
    It seems like Pistorius was always worried about break-ins in his house, so it's odd that we wouldn't have had all the windows secured also when the house was built.


    The room was dark, he said, and he did not realize that Ms. Steenkamp was not in bed. He felt vulnerable and fearful without his prosthetics and opened fire at the door, he said, calling to Ms. Steenkamp to telephone the police.
    The above reasoning seems plausible enough; He felt panicky and the adrenaline kicked in, although it's difficult for me to understand the firing blindly through the door part. Again, if Steenkamp had been shot before going into the bathroom then he won't be able to explain it, but we don't really know if that was true or not.
    Last edited by orbitz; 02-19-2013 at 02:18 PM.

  7. #127
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,349
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10728
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    He is officially claiming that he thought she was an intruder - says he woke up and found her not in bed and was scared, and thought someone had broken in through the bathroom window - Reuters story.

    I'm sure there will be much discussion now about that bathroom window - how big, how accessible, if it was the most likely place for an intruder to enter etc. Also, according to the article, the bathroom was very small - 1.4 by 1.14 metres or about 4.5 feet by 3.7 feet - so she had nowhere to hide once he started shooting.
    Just realizing I got the order wrong - he says he woke to a noise and headed to the bathroom thinking it was an intruder, shot through the door and then shouted to Reeva to call the police, only then realizing she wasn't in bed. He says he then bashed open the door with the cricket bat and found her.

  8. #128

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    with the traditionless
    Posts
    5,618
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8583
    Wouldn’t you say “who is in there”, or even "hey, MF, I have a gun, get out of my house", prior to shooting through your bathroom door? Especially if you have a guest in the house.
    What would Jenny do?

  9. #129
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,052
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    But wasn't her skull crushed too? How does he explain that?

  10. #130
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,349
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10728
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Wouldn’t you say “who is in there”, or even "hey, MF, I have a gun, get out of my house", prior to shooting through your bathroom door? Especially if you have a guest in the house.
    I'm guessing that's going to be the defense - that woken by the noise he acted quickly and impulsively, rather than logically. It's easy for us to say, how didn't you notice that your girlfriend wasn't in bed and how did you not assume the most obvious thing, that it was she using the bathroom? Why didn't you call out for her, or attempt to scare off the intruder? Why did you think it necessary to shoot an intruder who was in a confined space, rather than call the police first and simply guard the door in case he came out?

    But in the heat of the moment, he's likely to say that there was no time to think logically because he thought he was in danger, or even that his girlfriend was in danger too. The defense may then establish a known danger - a history of break ins and robberies in the community perhaps, a pattern of using bathroom windows to get into the master bedroom quickly, reasons why a criminal would choose his house (known valuables in the house), previous threats on his life, etc that will suggest that he had good reason to jump to the conclusion that it was an intruder and there was a potential danger significant enough to respond with a gun.

    For the cricket bat, he might say that it was dark, and in the course of smashing in the door, he hit her head.

    The fact that he moved the body is reminding me of another famous murder case - JonBenet Ramsey's father discovered her body in the basement and carried it up the stairs and laid it by the Christmas tree, thus compromising the murder scene and the body, and leading many to suggest that he did so on purpose.

  11. #131
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    But wasn't her skull crushed too? How does he explain that?
    We don't have all the facts at this point. Bits and pieces printed by the media in the past few days should not be totally trusted.

  12. #132

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Cuddling the sheep smilie
    Posts
    8,983
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6476
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Wouldn’t you say “who is in there”, or even "hey, MF, I have a gun, get out of my house", prior to shooting through your bathroom door? Especially if you have a guest in the house.
    You would unless you were drunk and high on drugs and prone to anger management issues and paranoia and had just had an argument with your girlfriend anyway prompting you to be in a "don't care about anything anyway" frame of mind.

    I don't think drink or drugs should ever be extenuating circumstances but they are contributing circumstances.
    They're substances that are designed to make you lose control and do just that, aggravating existing character flaws and removing censors.

  13. #133
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,349
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10728
    According to Oscar, they had gone to bed some time earlier, and he awoke to sounds that he thought came from an intruder. Sounds like his defense will be that it was an honest mistake, perhaps resulting from the late hour/that he had been startled awake, and general circumstances that make it reasonable that he would jump to conclusions.

    The police perspective seems to be that there was a history of domestic disturbance, including immediately preceding the murder (witnesses have been referenced). Their position is that this was deliberate and a likely a direct result of a fight between the two that led her to lock herself in the bathroom and him to go after her with the gun.

    From what I've read, no one on either side has suggested any form of intoxication played into what happened. There have been references to testing, but I would think that was normal procedure.

  14. #134
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    9,948
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    But in the heat of the moment, he's likely to say that there was no time to think logically because he thought he was in danger, or even that his girlfriend was in danger too. The defense may then establish a known danger - a history of break ins and robberies in the community perhaps, a pattern of using bathroom windows to get into the master bedroom quickly, reasons why a criminal would choose his house (known valuables in the house), previous threats on his life, etc that will suggest that he had good reason to jump to the conclusion that it was an intruder and there was a potential danger significant enough to respond with a gun.
    Who on earth would hear a noise in the bathroom and automatically think it is an intruder without even checking if his girlfriend is lying right beside him? It takes a split second to reach out a hand, even if it is pitch dark. He was composed enough to put on his two prostethic legs and to take the gun. Why wouldn't he make sure it wasn't his girlfriend before shooting through a closed door?

  15. #135

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,986
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    1833
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Who on earth would hear a noise in the bathroom and automatically think it is an intruder without even checking if his girlfriend is lying right beside him? It takes a split second to reach out a hand, even if it is pitch dark. He was composed enough to put on his two prostethic legs and to take the gun. Why wouldn't he make sure it wasn't his girlfriend before shooting through a closed door?
    It really doesn't make sense that he was aware enough to put on his legs and yet miss that she wasn't in bed...

  16. #136

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,736
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Who on earth would hear a noise in the bathroom and automatically think it is an intruder without even checking if his girlfriend is lying right beside him? It takes a split second to reach out a hand, even if it is pitch dark. He was composed enough to put on his two prostethic legs and to take the gun. Why wouldn't he make sure it wasn't his girlfriend before shooting through a closed door?
    I think some people may wake up more confused than others, or even do such things while not fully awake. Of course, if you know you're like that, then having easily accessible guns in your house is probably not a very bright idea.

  17. #137
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,349
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10728
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Who on earth would hear a noise in the bathroom and automatically think it is an intruder without even checking if his girlfriend is lying right beside him? It takes a split second to reach out a hand, even if it is pitch dark. He was composed enough to put on his two prostethic legs and to take the gun. Why wouldn't he make sure it wasn't his girlfriend before shooting through a closed door?
    That's what I was trying to say in the post above - that logically it doesn't make sense at all. But it sounds like his defense will be that at that moment and for whatever reason, his first thought was intruder. He could even say that having been startled awake, he didn't immediately recall that his girlfriend had stayed over that night, should be in bed and reasonably might have got up to use the bathroom, resulting in the noise that awoke him. His defense team might say that it happens to all of us - those first moments when you awake, before you realize what day it is or remember something important. As I said, I suspect his defense will also attempt to build a case to say that it was reasonable for him to jump to the conclusion that there was an intruder and that he needed to act quickly and decisively.

    btw, he is saying that he approached the door and shot without his legs (not quite sure how he did that, but the fact that he claims he did it suggests that he had enough mobility without the legs), then called to his girlfriend to call the police and only then realized she wasn't in bed, put the legs on and broke the door down.

    The challenge for his defense team is that the jury is likely to think like the rest of us, and not buy his story at all, thinking that if it were them, they would realize immediately that she wasn't in bed and conclude she was in the bathroom, and that they would have called out to her, and that they would not have just started firing through a bathroom door like that.

  18. #138
    recovering Oly-holic
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the frozen, snowy north
    Posts
    1,259
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3166
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Who on earth would hear a noise in the bathroom and automatically think it is an intruder without even checking if his girlfriend is lying right beside him? It takes a split second to reach out a hand, even if it is pitch dark. He was composed enough to put on his two prostethic legs and to take the gun. Why wouldn't he make sure it wasn't his girlfriend before shooting through a closed door?
    Report said he put on his legs AFTER shooting. Not defending his actions, just clarifying this one point.

  19. #139
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,119
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33169
    That means don't go to the bathroom in the middle of the night lest your significant other shoots you. Wow, I've had so many narrow escapes.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  20. #140
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,349
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10728
    This is interesting - here is what Oscar says happened, in his own words from the court affidavit.

    He says he has been threatened before, thought he was protecting himself and his girlfriend, and gives his explanation as to why he didn't immediately think it was her in the bathroom.

    Also, it's a bit confusing the way he refers to the bathroom - I saw a sketch in one news report, and it seems that it was a large bathroom with a tub in the open, a shower stall, and a smaller room with a toilet and sink that had a door within the larger bathroom.

    ETA - here's the graphic of the bathroom floorplan.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •