Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    The police are also investigating two more possibilities: that Steenkamp may have used the bat in self-defence
    Does Oscar have any injuries? There's nothing noticeable on his head, neck or hands, but the rest of his body is covered by his suit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by equatorial View Post
    According to the latest reports, the victim was wearing a night gown, she also had suffered a head injury prior to her death, and a blooded cricket bat was discovered at the scene.
    Jesus Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I personally would never date someone with a gun in his house, especially if the person has shown any type of temper. People are just too darn quick to grab that gun as a mean to resolve problem.
    Which is why it should be close to impossible to obtain a gun permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the premeditated part; to me, a scenario where he was loaded up on drugs and/or alcohol and an argument got out of control seems more likely.
    Yes, this is definitely the most likely scenario.

vCash

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    They do, but again, someone who does it to the level that he did, is a danger to society.
    Uh, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I don't think you're defending him, though.
    Well, I'm glad to know that, since it never occurred to me that anyone would think I was.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    double post.
    Last edited by Choupette; 02-18-2013 at 03:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I think all of that is true, but I also think that it is human nature for people to try to get away with things when they get caught and I don't think most people are rational or realistic about evaluating their odds of getting away with murder in the immediate aftermath. I would think in cases like this, there would be a lot of denial going on, too--I didn't mean it! I really didn't! He may even have convinced himself, at least on the surface, that it was an accident. Our minds rewrite events to shield us.
    It's totally possible that somebody who would commit a crime such as the alleged crime here would think like that. However, a personal experience I've had with somebody difficult to deal with made me conclude that some people simply don't think the way the rest of us do. It's like they are living in another reality. I don't mean that they shouldn't be considered responsible of what they do, but simply that they are lacking so much in the interpersonal relationship department that where most of us would think "I have no right to do this" or "I'm tempted but I'll surely get caught", they don't, even if it is completely illogical. I understand what you are saying and I don't mean that it can't potentially happen to otherwise "normal" people in certain circumstances; but I now tend to believe that most people who do not experience such terrible intepersonal problems probably do realize that getting away with something like that is a very difficult thing to do, and they aren't that impulsive or aggressive in the first place so they just wouldn't do it anyway.

I mean, basically I agree with you except that I would think that most people are rational and realistic enough in their evaluation.

EDIT: okay I may have misunderstood your post, where you said "in the "aftermath". I guess I was thinking that the aftermath simply didn't exist for somebody who would commit such a crime.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Well, I'm glad to know that, since it never occurred to me that anyone would think I was.
    Just covering all my bases!

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Pistorious may become something of a negative poster child for domestic violence in South Africa, given the timing.

Pistorius appeared in court in Pretoria Friday morning, which coincided with "Black Friday," a day when people were being urged to wear black to protest rapes and violence against women.

South Africa has one of the highest rates of gun homicides, with killings of women by intimate partners the leading cause of female homicide in the country. Some 57% of female homicide victims were killed by their partners in 2009, according to a report last year by the Medical Research Council, a rate of 5.7% per 100,000. One-third of female homicides were committed by partners with a history of prior violence against their partners, according to the report.

He's being charged with premeditated murder.

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/wo...,1295646.story
    I had no idea of the severity of the domestic violence in South Africa.. if any good came come of this at all is creating the awareness and hopefully education with regards to the issues of DV??

Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    How awful for Reeva I read that she wasn't just a beautiful model but also had a law degree and did advocacy work for females who have been raped.
    challenges the stereotypes of not only the perpetrator (being a white/athlete hero type) but also that of the victim (advocate/educated/aware re: DV)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Sort of switching topics--A lady posted a comment at the bottom of a news article that I found worth repeating. Her child also has two prosthetic legs. Until they saw Oscar Pistorius at the Olympics, they were ashamed and felt hopeless. But Oscar Pistorius, even though they had never met him, gave the child the confidence to stand up for themselves to bullies, push themselves to try new physical activities, and re-evaluate what they felt was possible for themselves. Children like these are among society's most vulnerable, and they need a role model like Oscar Pistorius. (To a lesser extent, Lance Armstrong had this effect among some cancer survivors who were physically traumatized by the disease and the side effects of the treatment--another similarity to the Pistorius case.)

This mother is struggling with how to break the news to the child. The child is 5 or 6 years old and may not understand the concept of murder or even death.

I'm not a parent, so I ask the parents on this board--what would you do?
    I don't think you have to be a parent to have an opinion and even give advice, some of the best therapists I know that work with parents are not parents themselves..
    Anyway age child of such a young age of 5 or 6 doesn't need to be explained about this.. too young..

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Article

This is chilling:

I wonder why the authorities are going after the premeditated murder charge instead of something like involuntary manslaughter, for example. I think it was a crime of passion that happened in an instance of rage and not something that he had planned to do, since early reports said that a panicked Pistorius tried to revive Steenkamp after the shooting. If it was planned then I think he would have probably killed himself also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    I'm having a difficult time wrapping my head around the premeditated part; to me, a scenario where he was loaded up on drugs and/or alcohol and an argument got out of control seems more likely.
    pre-meditated is quite different to 'planned' you can be charged with pre-meditated murder even if you pre-mediated by a few minutes.. so like others have said - if he started out with the cricket bat then followed up with the gun - the latter part would have been pre-meditated - he 'decided/chose' to murder her..

I'm very curious as to what his defense/explanation is.. So sad for her family.. actually for both families..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Well this makes me so sad for Reeva. Imagine her final moments hiding in the bathroom after already being bloodied and beaten. The fact that she had an "overnight bag" perhaps suggests that she was planning to break up with him and was going to pack some things and leave in the morning. Don't know but I have read that these are often the small triggers in DV cases. Like in OJ Simpsons case I read that Nicole did not accept a necklace gift and that was the final straw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canbelto View Post
    Don't know but I have read that these are often the small triggers in DV cases. Like in OJ Simpsons case I read that Nicole did not accept a necklace gift and that was the final straw.
    The most dangerous time for a DV victim is when she takes steps to leave.

Not sure if the overnight bag is evidence that she planned to leave, though.

vCash
    But that's why I said "if what is reported here is true." Sorry about the link; I didn't have to register for it . I can see a few scenarios where someone could legitimately shoot a non-intruder thinking the person was an intruder, but I would think such situations would be very, very rare.
    Oh, I was only responding to the part about how could it be possible for someone to accidentally fire more than once. From all the information reported so far, I highly doubt that Pistorious's actions and motives were in any way similar to Cory Maye's (the shooter in the story I linked yesterday). I don't think such shootings are common by any means, but I'm not sure they are extremely rare, either - though I imagine they are more common in areas with high crime and/or in situations like Maye's (confusing late night police raid).

vCash
    See, and I took the presence of her overnight bag as she intended on staying the night. Perhaps in my naivety I misunderstood - I assumed that after only a few months of dating that they were not living together yet. I don't believe I have read anywhere saying one was or other.

As for him owning a gun...That doesn't surprise me one bit. I have heard stories from people that fled South Africa because of the dangers, and I think people living there are quite reasonable for having a gun for protection. I am thankful I live in a society where having a gun in the home is unusual and frowned up rather than in a society where it seems a necessary requirement to have such protection.
    I'm honest, just not always in a nice way

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckSk8r View Post
    See, and I took the presence of her overnight bag as she intended on staying the night. Perhaps in my naivety I misunderstood - I assumed that after only a few months of dating that they were not living together yet. I don't believe I have read anywhere saying one was or other.

As for him owning a gun...That doesn't surprise me one bit. I have heard stories from people that fled South Africa because of the dangers, and I think people living there are quite reasonable for having a gun for protection. I am thankful I live in a society where having a gun in the home is unusual and frowned up rather than in a society where it seems a necessary requirement to have such protection.
    i could see owning one gun (not that I ever would) .. but he had then in each room and an assault weapon as well?? Domestics and weapon is a bad mix Hopefully we will hear soon.. I hope he doesn't get bail if the evidence they are suggesting is true - that is a slap in the face for every woman in SA
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckSk8r View Post
    See, and I took the presence of her overnight bag as she intended on staying the night. Perhaps in my naivety I misunderstood - I assumed that after only a few months of dating that they were not living together yet.
    I have not read anything to suggest that Reeva had moved in. Since Reeva was found dead in her nightgown early on Thursday morning, it seems doubtful that she intended to break up with him that evening. She arrived at his house at 6 pm on Wednesday. Assuming that they'd just been in a heated argument and she wanted to leave the house, it seems that the more logical order of events would have been for her to put on her street clothes before deciding whether or not she had time to prepare an overnight bag. I suppose there's a possibility that her overnight bag contained something necessary for her to leave, such as glasses or contact lenses needed for driving.
    Last edited by heckles; 02-18-2013 at 07:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post

pre-meditated is quite different to 'planned' you can be charged with pre-meditated murder even if you pre-mediated by a few minutes.. so like others have said - if he started out with the cricket bat then followed up with the gun - the latter part would have been pre-meditated - he 'decided/chose' to murder her..

Thank you for the explanation!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    The Sun is reporting that steroids were found at Pistorius's house by police.

Would like to see a more reputable paper confirming....
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    How can a multiple medallist who got tested loads of times get away with taking steroids?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    How can a multiple medallist who got tested loads of times get away with taking steroids?
    Ask Lance Armstrong.

But there are steroids and steroids. If you searched my house, you'd find steroids, too. They aren't anabolic steroids, but they are steroids. Corticosteroids are often prescribed to people who have injuries and inflammation; amputees often take them to to heal wounds.

I wouldn't be surprised if the police found anabolic steroids; he's a track and field athlete and anabolic steroid abuse is rife in T&F. But "steroids" is a frequently misunderstood term.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Well yeah I have allergy to pollen so I take steroids as well, I assumed The Sun meant anabolic steroids.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Well yeah I have allergy to pollen so I take steroids as well, I assumed The Sun meant anabolic steroids.
    I might, too, except it's The Sun.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast