Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I cant remember any defendant going through so much physical drama.
    I think most people take a break and/or leave the courtroom.

He's been asked several times if he would like to take a break and always refuses.

But yeah, very unusual.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Ahhh, thanks Prancer for directing me to this thread! I must admit I have a weak spot for Oscar. He is (or was) such a hero for so many that it's incredibly sad that he manged to throw his life away in a moment of madness. Even if he gets acquitted, his life - as he knew it - is over. He will suffer a similar fate to O.J. (even if he doesn't commit armed robbery). All his sponsorship deals will stop. People will always wonder if he didn't murder her after all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The perpetrator is also a victim.
    He killed this girl, with a gun he wasn't allowed to have. The courts can decide if it was an accidental death or not, but it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't suppose to have a gun in the first place. And I think deserves jail time for having the illegal gun, and shooting the girl with the illegal gun.

And I find the it was an accident thing not necessarily believable. He's also getting preferential treatment from the courts. Who should be allowed to leave the country when on trial for murder! No one.

vCash
    Although I must admit the intruder hiding in the toilet cubicle story sounds improbable, why on earth would he deliberately kill her? There is no motive and the "jealous" texts don't explain it either because out of 1700 text between them, only 4 indicated any kind of arguments and all couples argue at one point or another.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Xela M View Post
    Although I must admit the intruder hiding in the toilet cubicle story sounds improbable, why on earth would he deliberately kill her? There is no motive and the "jealous" texts don't explain it either because out of 1700 text between them, only 4 indicated any kind of arguments and all couples argue at one point or another.
    All couples don't end up with one couple shooting the other.

vCash
    why on earth would he deliberately kill her?
    A few statistics:
    - 4,000 women are killed every year by domestic violence.
    - 40% of women killed worldwide are killed by their partner
    Why do men kill their wives & girlfriends? I don't know, but I know that it's very common, and it's a hell of a lot more believable than the ridiculous story he told in court.

vCash
    All couples fight, but in how many couples does one person state they are afraid of the other?
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    All couples don't end up with one couple shooting the other.
    That's kind of my point. There is no indication from their text messages that there was anything wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    A few statistics:
    - 4,000 women are killed every year by domestic violence.
    - 40% of women killed worldwide are killed by their partner
    Why do men kill their wives & girlfriends? I don't know, but I know that it's very common, and it's a hell of a lot more believable than the ridiculous story he told in court.
    But he was the famous, rich, handsome athlete who had many women after him, so it wasn't an ordinary relationship. Plus, I have seen messages from people who claim to have known the couple who claim that it was, in fact, Reeva who was the jealous and possessive one whereas he was cheating on her with a number of other women.

It just seems odd. His previous girlfriend quite publicly cheated on him whilst he was at the London Olympics and he didn't shoot her - he just dumped her. Also, if there really was an argument between him and Reeva that night, wouldn't she have called or texted someone about it?

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    All couples fight, but in how many couples does one person state they are afraid of the other?
    I guess, but that was taken out of context. She said something like she was sometimes scared of his temper. It didn't really indicate that he had ever been abusive towards her.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    But he was the famous, rich, handsome athlete who had many women after him, so it wasn't an ordinary relationship. Plus, I have seen messages from people who claim to have known the couple who claim that it was, in fact, Reeva who was the jealous and possessive one whereas he was cheating on her with a number of other women.
    You do realize that some people cheat on their SOs but still get jealous and/or angry? And that one relationship is not necessarily a good predictor for another?

And that people cheat on their famous, rich, beautiful SOs?

And that people can get into fights that blow up out of nowhere?

And that a lot of people get into fights without texting their friends halfway through?

Also, if there really was an argument between him and Reeva that night, wouldn't she have called or texted someone about it?
    Maybe she was planning to and he shot her first; her cell phone was in the bathroom, wasn't it? That seems really odd to me; if you just have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, do you take your phone with you? But there are probably people who do and Reeva may have been one of them.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    He killed this girl, with a gun he wasn't allowed to have. The courts can decide if it was an accidental death or not, but it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't suppose to have a gun in the first place. And I think deserves jail time for having the illegal gun, and shooting the girl with the illegal gun.

And I find the it was an accident thing not necessarily believable. He's also getting preferential treatment from the courts. Who should be allowed to leave the country when on trial for murder! No one.
    I am not disputing any of that.

vCash
    I think at the minimum he is definitely guilty of at least manslaughter or SA's equivalent. He violated the basic rules of gun ownership and acted in a reckless manner. I read that even by SA's self defense laws what he did was not considered legal.

I think the prosecution (to me at least) has shown he is reckless and quick to temper and then acts out. Shooting a gun out the sunroof in anger is a prime example of that. A bullet going straight up can kill someone just as easily as shooting them directly. He seems to shoot guns rashly and in anger.

vCash
    That's kind of my point. There is no indication from their text messages that there was anything wrong.

It just seems odd. His previous girlfriend quite publicly cheated on him whilst he was at the London Olympics and he didn't shoot her - he just dumped her. Also, if there really was an argument between him and Reeva that night, wouldn't she have called or texted someone about it?

I guess, but that was taken out of context. She said something like she was sometimes scared of his temper. It didn't really indicate that he had ever been abusive towards her.
    This relationship ended with him shooting and killing her. Its natural to ask some questions about the relationship. The police say in the previous relationship there was at least one domestic violence call-on HIM. And I think some mental health issues on HIM.

He also has a history of violent behavior with guns when he's angry. See the sun gun roof incident.

Really why would an intruder look themselves in the bathroom? And if the intruder is looking themselves in the bathroom wouldn't the prudent thing be to cool for help, or wait to them come and then shoot, when you see who it is. In case it is you know your girlfriend-whose there in the house with you?

She didn't shoot and kill him, so what if she'd get a little jealous. SHE is not a on trial here, and there's nothing even in his stupid defense, that indicates she did anything to deserve this like threaten his person.

I would imagine that couples with domestic violence are actually less likely to have people texting friends saying we were arguing. Part of what happens is the abusive partner tries to separate the victim from loved ones.

At the very least what he did was manslaughter. Its one thing to shoot your significant other when there's actually documented intruder and the gun rickashays. But this guy basically went guns and blazing, and was shooting around without even looking or verifying.

So what if he had lots of money and was cheating on her. That doesn't stop him from being a possessive jerk. In fact it suggests a sense of entitlement..

My issue here is his story doesn't pass the smell test, and even if his story was correct, he still should face time, a lot of time for doing this. What if there had been a child in that house?

In fact a part of me would argue and I don't know how legal I'm being that what he did in some was premediated or at least second degree murder much worse than a manslaughter because he knew there were people legitimately in his house and didn't bother to make sure said person was a threat, he just shot to kill.
    Last edited by bek; 03-29-2014 at 01:52 PM.

vCash
    A good BBC article summing up what's been going on recently: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-26989222

vCash
    A very good article - thanks Ziggy. This case kind of reminds me of the Casey Anthony case in some ways. Absolute, indisputable proof may be hard to come by - but it seems a huge stretch to imagine anyone of sound mind shooting into a locked bathroom door without making sure that the other person they know to be in the house is not the one in the bathroom. If this is a small toilet affair it would seem obvious that this is at most one person, not a group of thugs, and so many more obvious choices were available such as shooting into the ceiling as a warning or calling the police, at the very least calling out to her to ascertain where she is. I think his previous behaviour with guns is also interesting and telling.
    pug lover

vCash
    A good BBC article summing up what's been going on recently: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-26989222
    Yes, this is an excellent article. Indeed, why did he fire four shots? Why not just a warning shot? And all his hysteria in the court room.....seems contrived to me.

vCash
    Everything about this tells me that he meant to kill this poor woman.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I've watched some clips of the prosecution. Gerrie Nels is relentless. I read somewhere else that everyone respects him but hardly anyone likes him, and I believe it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I've watched some clips of the prosecution. Gerrie Nels is relentless. I read somewhere else that everyone respects him but hardly anyone likes him, and I believe it.
    I'm glad this case has an attack dog prosecuting this case.

vCash
    I have a lot of respect for Reeva's mother. From all I have seen and heard, she is conducting herself with calm dignity - while still sitting through all the grizzly details to make sure everyone remembers who the real victim is. I don't think I would have her self control if I was in her shoes.
    pug lover

vCash
    This guy is creepy, his defense is a laugh, and I hope no one in that courtroom is fooled by his blubbering, Oscar-baiting (hah!) antics.

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast