Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 452
  1. #341

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,846
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Now that all the stories about his hot-temperedness and jealousy are coming to light, I guess some points in the CNN article are spot-on. It's not a surprise he's in this situation.

  2. #342

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    with the traditionless
    Posts
    5,629
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8583
    There is a police brutality and South African violence link in that article that I found interesting. I have noted a parallel to American gun culture and South African, and have wondered if the history of racial animosity instigates it in both countries.
    What would Jenny do?

  3. #343

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,846
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    There is a police brutality and South African violence link in that article that I found interesting. I have noted a parallel to American gun culture and South African, and have wondered if the history of racial animosity instigates it in both countries.
    South Africa's post-apartheid culture does seem to be a culture of crime and violence. And it's sad that they are living this way - the stories of robbery, rape and murder are frightening. But the only link between this, Oscar and Reeva is that it gave him easier access to a gun. I think this would have ended badly even without guns factored in. It's more about domestic violence and specifically, violence towards women.

  4. #344

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,865
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Now that all the stories about his hot-temperedness and jealousy are coming to light, I guess some points in the CNN article are spot-on. It's not a surprise he's in this situation.
    I haven't read these; in the US, media has cooled down a bit. I'll go check CNN and the UK news sites. Thanks.

  5. #345
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,506
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    South Africa's post-apartheid culture does seem to be a culture of crime and violence.
    The level of crime of violence is a result of rampant inequality and the number of people living in poverty. Isn't SA the country with the most unequal wealth distribution in the world?

  6. #346

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,846
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The level of crime of violence is a result of rampant inequality and the number of people living in poverty. Isn't SA the country with the most unequal wealth distribution in the world?
    So they say.

  7. #347
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,377
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    A judge has ruled that Oscar can leave the country to compete - although no firm dates set yet.

  8. #348
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Somewhere in Canada
    Posts
    560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Wow, if that's not preferred treatment I don't know what is.

  9. #349
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,213
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44756
    While this article says he has no plans to compete anytime soon, his lawyers got every restriction they had appealed lifted:

    http://www.salon.com/2013/03/28/cour...um%29_7_30_110
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  10. #350
    From the Bloc
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    California, I wish
    Posts
    17,377
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11617
    Amanda Knox needs to hire his legal team.

  11. #351

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    with the traditionless
    Posts
    5,629
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8583
    I would guess that being one of the most famous athletes in SA works to his benefit.
    What would Jenny do?

  12. #352

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    8,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7854
    I'm kind of shocked actually, can't help but wonder if he will try to flee, nah he's got too much family in South Africa.

  13. #353
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,506
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    Wow, if that's not preferred treatment I don't know what is.
    It's not like he's realistically going to flee. Innocent until proven guilty. I see nothing wrong with allowing him to continue competing, if he so wished.

  14. #354
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    9,949
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It depends on the probability of a long prison sentence though, doesn't it? If this is high, he might decide to spend his life in another country instead.

  15. #355
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,024
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    It depends on the probability of a long prison sentence though, doesn't it? If this is high, he might decide to spend his life in another country instead.
    Surely the judge considered all this...

  16. #356
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Somewhere in Canada
    Posts
    560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's not like he's realistically going to flee. Innocent until proven guilty. I see nothing wrong with allowing him to continue competing, if he so wished.
    I just doubt the fact that someone else accused of murder but with less means than Pistorius would be allowed to leave the country.

  17. #357

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Wildrose country
    Posts
    1,335
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1356
    He's too well known to just disappear so he's not a flight risk, and he needs to travel to earn a living. Despite the rush to convict him in the tabloids he is innocent until proven guilty - especially given the incompetence and corruption of the S African police.

  18. #358

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,259
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    920
    Why? WHY? Why would he EVER want to go back to that house though?

  19. #359

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Home in England!!
    Posts
    2,500
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1014
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsissv View Post
    Why? WHY? Why would he EVER want to go back to that house though?
    I guess he doesn't actually want to go live there but it is his home and he may want to get possessions from it. He may also want to talk through his defence with his lawyers - and showing them step by step what he did that night.

  20. #360
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,090
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsissv View Post
    Why? WHY? Why would he EVER want to go back to that house though?
    He may believe that an item that could have been used in the case against him has not yet been identified as such by detectives, or perhaps wasn't even located, and he wants to remove that item from his house.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •