Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

vCash
    The thing that sticks out to me (again) is that he apparently didn’t even stop to consider his guest might be the one using the bathroom, nor did he think of her safety. If he did think of her safety, he would have *verified* she was safe before going after whomever was in the bathroom. That IMO indicates a very self-absorbed ego. Not that I think that in and of itself should convict him of any crimes but it makes me think he is a bit of a jerk.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Well the totally disastrous police investigation is surely helping Pistorius to look innocent, whatever actually happened.

Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    I'm going to come across like a piss-fetishist since I keep harping on this one point, but I don't think it is unreasonable for a wounded person to release all muscle control, yet still be alive for a time.
    In situations of extreme stress - so when you believe your life is in danger - your body will expel anything that can slow down your escape.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

As for Heath Ledger, the fact that he was a drug abuser is part of my point. Those close to him knew that, and it informed the decisions they made. Similarly, Oscar's decisions would have been based on what he knew about the dangers to himself and her, who he could trust, what steps he had to take to protect himself etc.
    Hmmm, OT, but what the heck. Heath Ledger may have dabbled in recreational drugs on occasion ... (I don't know and it's certainly irrelevant to the case under discussion). However, being a Hollywood actor does not necessarily equate to being "a known drug abuser." IMO, Heath Ledger was high on acting and high on life. At the time of his death, he was reportedly undergoing some emotional turmoil (due to the unresolved separation from his daughter Matilda, and former love, Michelle Williams). From his own admission in interviews, Heath was also exhausted after making a series of movies, including his devastatingly epic portrayal of The Joker, in The Dark Knight. As a result, Heath was taking sleeping medications prescribed by different doctors, which led to him unfortunately taking several medications at once that turned out to be toxic in combination. He just wanted to get some rest, and tragically ended up going to sleep forever.

Condolences to Reeva Steenkamp's and Oscar Pistorius' families. Whether or not Reeva's death is proven to have been accidental and unintentional, Oscar's life and spirit are in a place of suffering, and will be forever changed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Heath Ledger was high on acting and high on life. At the time of his death, he was reportedly undergoing some emotional turmoil (due to the unresolved separation from his daughter Matilda, and former love, Michelle Williams). From his own admission in interviews, Heath was also exhausted after making a series of movies, including his devastatingly epic portrayal of The Joker, in The Dark Knight.
    This reads like something from a Hollywood publicist. Or from Us Magazine. Kudos.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    But then I also have trouble understanding gang members who kill each other based on something as small as a perceived insult, or because it makes them feel more powerful in some way. Oscar lives in a different culture than most of us here; maybe the value of human life is different for him, and he needs a lot less reason to kill someone than we would. After all, even if he didn't deliberately kill Reeva, he apparently had little trouble killing an intruder who had not threatened his life or hers, who was unseen, whose potential for violence was unknown, and whose motive for entering the house was also unknown to Oscar. And yet, just being in the house was by Oscar's own admission all he needed to know to shoot him.
    I don't think even people in crime-ridden South Africa have different opinions on the value of human life and would kill each other at a perceived slight. You're right that many gang members live by that code, but gang members already exist on the fringe of society. I highly doubt Pistorius would have gotten to where he is, going to international sports meets, let along the Olympics, believing that. He would have to have the best PR person in the entire universe.

And I believe most Americans would have no problem killing an intruder if their children were sleeping in the house. But I'd wager that most would be called to action by the sound of a broken window, or the door being kicked down, not merely "sounds coming from the kitchen or bathroom." So many children or spouses would be killed every year if that was the default trigger!

At best, he shouldn't be trusted with even a cat in the house, if he's that trigger happy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    This reads like something from a Hollywood publicist. Or from Us Magazine. Kudos.
    Please, not US mag. But, Hollywood publicist sounds like a gig. Very rad, in fact. But, I'd want to avoid the younger set. Give me Dustin Hoffman, Jeff Bridges, Daniel Day Lewis, and Robert DeNiro ... well, uh scratch DeNiro, but the rest I'd love to handle ... uh write for. Brad Pitt and Angelina might be loverly to write for too, but nix that -- way too complicated family life.

BTW, how do you think some of your ramblings read?

vCash
    even if he didn't deliberately kill Reeva, he apparently had little trouble killing an intruder who had not threatened his life or hers, who was unseen, whose potential for violence was unknown, and whose motive for entering the house was also unknown to Oscar. And yet, just being in the house was by Oscar's own admission all he needed to know to shoot him.
    I don't think this attitude is unusual among people who are really into guns and find themselves in a position where they feel that they have to protect themselves and their home. Shoot first; Ask Later. I bet it's an adrenaline rush for them to empty the rounds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I don't think even people in crime-ridden South Africa have different opinions on the value of human life and would kill each other at a perceived slight. You're right that many gang members live by that code, but gang members already exist on the fringe of society. I highly doubt Pistorius would have gotten to where he is, going to international sports meets, let along the Olympics, believing that. He would have to have the best PR person in the entire universe.

And I believe most Americans would have no problem killing an intruder if their children were sleeping in the house. But I'd wager that most would be called to action by the sound of a broken window, or the door being kicked down, not merely "sounds coming from the kitchen or bathroom." So many children or spouses would be killed every year if that was the default trigger!

At best, he shouldn't be trusted with even a cat in the house, if he's that trigger happy.
    We had an attempted break-in when I was little - with the sound of a broken window. The absolute first thing my parents did was check on me (and my dad is a gun owner). *Then* my dad went to the broken window.

In my house, if a noise wakes me up at night, I always first assume its my cat.
    Last edited by snoopy; 02-22-2013 at 02:29 AM.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    BTW, how do you think some of your ramblings read?
    If I'm lucky, like a cross between Oscar the Grouch and Rodney Dangerfield with extremely subtle traces of Alastair Cooke.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    The defense has rested in the bail hearing and Magistrate Nair has said he'll make his decision at 12:30 GMT (about an hour and a half from now).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog...-live-coverage
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    With the police case being so weak, I think they should bail him. For a huge amount of money though. He can afford it.

I guess the judge is probably scared that he's gonna get eaten by the media/mob for 'giving special treatment to a celebrity' though.

vCash
    FWIW, Jeffrey Toobin on CNN just said that no matter what, he will get some jail time because South African law does not allow someone to blindly shoot someone else through a closed door.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    FWIW, Jeffrey Toobin on CNN just said that no matter what, he will get some jail time because South African law does not allow someone to blindly shoot someone else through a closed door.
    Of course. But there's a big difference between homicide and murder.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Hmmm, OT, but what the heck. Heath Ledger may have dabbled in recreational drugs on occasion ... (I don't know and it's certainly irrelevant to the case under discussion). However, being a Hollywood actor does not necessarily equate to being "a known drug abuser." IMO, Heath Ledger was high on acting and high on life. At the time of his death, he was reportedly undergoing some emotional turmoil (due to the unresolved separation from his daughter Matilda, and former love, Michelle Williams). From his own admission in interviews, Heath was also exhausted after making a series of movies, including his devastatingly epic portrayal of The Joker, in The Dark Knight. As a result, Heath was taking sleeping medications prescribed by different doctors, which led to him unfortunately taking several medications at once that turned out to be toxic in combination. He just wanted to get some rest, and tragically ended up going to sleep forever.
    He was abusing drugs.

vCash
    This judge has been rambling on forever and still has not given his decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    This judge has been rambling on forever and still has not given his decision.
    Indeed.

I was afraid to go get a coffee from the kitchen when he started talking for fear I would miss his ruling live.

I could have taken a shower, done my makeup, gotten dressed and went to get my groceries and come back and still not missed it.

vCash
    So Pistorius has got bail - the judge summed up as if it was a trial IMHO - he seemed to go on forever - though I guess he needed to do that to justify his final decision. I listened to it all and kept switching my mind as to whether he was going to allow bail as he made many points that supported both the defense and the prosecution. The initial investigating officer's actions did not help the prosecution IMHO and it seemed that the prosecution were probably too quick to bring the charges and claim Pistorius is a huge flight risk. As the judge said this is a hugely circumstational case - with Oscar being the only person alive who knew exactly what happened - so the prosecution needed to really have hard facts that Pistorius killed intentionally.

Anyway I assume Pistorius will now go off into seclusion and most certainly not head back to the track in a public manner as that would be too arrogant and beggar belief. Though it was never him or his family saying he would get back to training - just a coach.

So now we have the trial to look forwards to - but that isn't going to be for a while yet though I suspect it will be in the South African press from now until then.

vCash
    90 minutes that guy rambled on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    90 minutes that guy rambled on.
    It felt much longer

vCash
    You know, if these are the conditions that people with disabilities face in South African jails, then it's a good thing that a person whose guilt has not yet been proven will not have to go there. It sounds appalling - even if someone is guilty, and certainly when it's a prisoner awaiting trial.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast