Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    Reuters reports that Pistorius shot Reeva four times through the bathroom door. I wonder if she was in the bathroom, or he was in the bathroom; I haven't been able to find out the exact positioning. If she was barricaded inside the bathroom door; this scenario would seem to point towards murder. However if he was inside the bathroom, the exact situation seems a bit more unclear; still could be murder though. Also, I'm sure toxicology reports will become available in weeks to come.

Whatever really happened, a family lost their beloved daughter, and that's tragic.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91E09620130215

vCash
    I can't help thinking that if this were due to any kind of accident, the press would be full of statements by Pistorius' publicist, lawyers, family and federation explaining how it was all a tragic misunderstanding. Their silence speaks volumes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Pistorious may become something of a negative poster child for domestic violence in South Africa, given the timing.

Pistorius appeared in court in Pretoria Friday morning, which coincided with "Black Friday," a day when people were being urged to wear black to protest rapes and violence against women.

South Africa has one of the highest rates of gun homicides, with killings of women by intimate partners the leading cause of female homicide in the country. Some 57% of female homicide victims were killed by their partners in 2009, according to a report last year by the Medical Research Council, a rate of 5.7% per 100,000. One-third of female homicides were committed by partners with a history of prior violence against their partners, according to the report.

He's being charged with premeditated murder.

http://www.latimes.com/news/world/wo...,1295646.story
    So sad that women are being killed by their significant others.

I saw this morning on MSNBC that he is being charged with premeditated murder, with a clip from the courtroom where he buried his face in his hands, crying.

It's not clear from the LA Times article (I have not read others) if Pistorius was in the bathroom and heard footsteps outside when he shot her. In that case it could have been a case of mistaken identity (if she did not announce it was her). That's how I am imagining the scene.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    It's not clear from the LA Times article (I have not read others) if Pistorius was in the bathroom and heard footsteps outside when he shot her. In that case it could have been a case of mistaken identity (if she did not announce it was her). That's how I am imagining the scene.
    That doesn't sound ANYTHING like -premeditated- murder. The police have to have some evidence that shows he planned to do this if that is the crime they are charging him with. Based on the fact they are calling it premeditated, it just does not look good for him...

If it really was accidental, I just cannot imagine how he must be feeling right now. Not because of the charges he faces, but because of what he did.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 02-15-2013 at 05:51 PM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Just because it was premeditated doesn't mean it went according to plan. Pure speculation here, but what if she barricaded herself in the bathroom because he was coming after her with the gun?

Anyway, according to another AP article, he has now released a statement and plans to fight the charges:
    Following the hearing, Pistorius’ family and his London management company issued a statement calling into question the criminal charge the 26-year-old athlete faces.

“The alleged murder is disputed in the strongest terms,” the statement read. The statement did not elaborate.

The statement also said Pistorius wanted to “send his deepest sympathies to the family of Reeva.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Just because it was premeditated doesn't mean it went according to plan. Pure speculation here, but what if she barricaded herself in the bathroom because he was coming after her with the gun?
    I think this is what most people assumed happened. I think Vash01 was suggesting that HE may have been the one in the bathroom (hiding from an intruder?) and shot through the door without knowing who he was shooting. Oddly, I haven't found a single article that says who was on which side of the door- and it seems to be a pretty huge piece of information.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    That doesn't sound ANYTHING like -premeditated- murder.
    Yes more like a domestic incident gone wrong. Maybe drugs were a factor as well?

vCash
    I'm sure that Pistorius is guilty. I mean, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

vCash
    I think this is what most people assumed happened. I think Vash01 was suggesting that HE may have been the one in the bathroom (hiding from an intruder?) and shot through the door without knowing who he was shooting. Oddly, I haven't found a single article that says who was on which side of the door- and it seems to be a pretty huge piece of information.
    Actually, I read an article on the train that said she was inside. (Evening Standard I think) . That would support the premeditated murder charge.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    That doesn't sound ANYTHING like -premeditated- murder. .
    Oh, I dunno.

Let's say that I wanted to kill my husband. In the middle of the night, I go into the bathroom and shut the door. Then I call for help--"I've fallen and I can't get up!" My husband comes to help me. I shoot him through the door.

I then tell the police that I was in the bathroom, taking care of business, and I heard someone creeping down the hall. I called out my husband's name several times, but there was no answer, When I heard the steps stop outside the door, I panicked and shot blindly. Why oh why didn't he answer when I called? And yes, I do carry a gun to the bathroom with me in the middle of the night. Everyone will tell you that I am paranoid and afraid of break-ins, and that I always have my gun with me.

I just might get away with that, too, if indeed I had that reputation and no one was around to dispute my story.

I do think it's far more likely that she was trying to barricade herself in the bathroom. According to reports, there are witnesses who heard them shouting just before the shooting. I would think that what the witnesses heard them shouting would be more indicative of whether the intruder story was going to hold up or not than who was one what side of the door. If he was shouting, "Who's there? Identify yourself! I have a gun!" that's one thing. If he was shouting "I'm going to kill you, you @#$(*&#($&#$(&!" then that's another. And if she was shouting anything at all, I don't think he will be able to argue that he didn't know it was her.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Every other guy who offs his old lady uses the "intruder" defense, and many a Dateline episode is devoted to their stories crumbling, one by one.

vCash
    I long ago (30 years) heard of a story where a woman shot her husband dead. He had come home, drunk, and was literally crawling up the stairs, she said "who's there," and with either no answer or unintelligible mumbling, boom shot in the direction of the sounds. That's probably when I decided to definitely never have a handgun in the house.

vCash
    http://world.time.com/2013/02/15/det...car-pistorius/

This does NOT sound like an "I thought she was an intruder" case. If police were called there at midnight, obviously the couple had been fighting and the situation was escalating.

vCash
    How does South Africa define "premeditated murder"?

I haven't heard a single shred of evidence in favor of the intruder theory. Not saying that it's not true, as there's a ton of evidence we haven't heard, but so far nothing has come out to support it. I read that this neighborhood has many security cameras, and if she was shot just after entering, I imagine that the police wouldn't have dismissed the theory so quickly.

I think this is what most people assumed happened. I think Vash01 was suggesting that HE may have been the one in the bathroom (hiding from an intruder?) and shot through the door without knowing who he was shooting.
    Then why shoot four times? Isn't one shot enough to send the message to a thief that they better get their ass out of there ASAP?

Personally, regardless of his culpability in this case, I find Pistorius a pretty pathetic symbol of the spirit of the Olympics considering his piss poor sportsmanship when he didn't win gold in the 200 at the Paralympics.

How awful for Reeva I read that she wasn't just a beautiful model but also had a law degree and did advocacy work for females who have been raped.

Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    I'm sure that Pistorius is guilty. I mean, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.
    I know it's bad taste, but I found this pretty
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 02-15-2013 at 11:11 PM.

vCash
    If she barricaded herself in the bathroom, she probably was either terrified or trying to get away and give him some space. Either way for him to shoot her through the door shows a level of anger and aggression that sure turned him from hero to zero.

vCash
    Unfortunate wording in this Nike ad: http://consumerist.com/2013/02/14/ni...ng-girlfriend/
    "I am the bullet in the chamber"
    Chilling.
    What a shame. I still cannot believe this. And now all of this stuff about domestic issues with Reeva...I'm afraid more stuff is gonna come out.
    But they were only together for a few months? What an intense relationship.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post

I know it's bad taste, but I found this pretty
    It was yesterday morning when it was said by the person who thought it up. Now it's just stale.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canbelto View Post
    http://world.time.com/2013/02/15/det...car-pistorius/

This does NOT sound like an "I thought she was an intruder" case. If police were called there at midnight, obviously the couple had been fighting and the situation was escalating.
    I don't think anyone really believes the "thought she was an intruder" argument and I doubt if anyone ever did beyond a few minutes of giving him the benefit of the doubt. I don't even know if that is HIS story; I am getting the impression that it was speculation in the media and not any kind of statement that was made.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    It was yesterday morning when it was said by the person who thought it up. Now it's just stale.
    Indeed, because when I think of what's fresh and relevant, I think of the guy who channels Ernie from My Three Sons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post

Personally, regardless of his culpability in this case, I find Pistorius a pretty pathetic symbol of the spirit of the Olympics considering his piss poor sportsmanship when he didn't win gold in the 200 at the Paralympics.
    Thanks for the link. Many people don't know this jerkwad was in the Olympics and the Paralympics last year. Seems like he wanted it both ways, and got it.

In rapid succession, Pistorius and Lance Armstrong have ruined their "physically-challenged athlete becomes a role model" narratives. Hopefully, surfer Bethany Hamilton doesn't come out as a tweaker next month.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast