Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

vCash
    How many convicts give an interview to media right after the guilty verdict? This is bizzare.

vCash
    How many are actively pursued?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I think this woman is so manipulative that she is putting this out there because she is actually afraid of the death penalty. She is hoping this makes its way to the jurors and they decide that the true ultimate punishment would be life in prison where she can at least appeal to her death and hope for parole at some point.
    Well, I'm sure she's going to appeal no matter what--death penalty cases usually drag on for years because they have a LOT of appeals to go through. (Which, fair enough, you don't want to get it wrong...) But yeah, I think this is a probably-ill-advised attempt at reverse psychology. I suspect the jury may be inclined to say "You'd rather die? Okey-dokey."

vCash
    I think that if she receives the death penalty there is an automatic appeal on her behalf? Lawyers can you tell me.

vCash
    Don't know about AZ, but in CA, there is one appeal of right, directly to the Supreme Court, which must hear it (and decide it). If affirmed, they can ask the SCOTUS to review the case, but this request is usually denied. Usually, there is also a petition for habeas corpus filed within a year after the appeal is decided .... this is where new evidence can be presented (if any) whereas appeals are limited to the transcripts of the trial.

vCash
    I was surprised to hear that Jodi was surprised by the verdict.. really?

vCash
    why? if you are a defendant, you need to believe that you will be acquitted. otherwise you would plead guilty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    why? if you are a defendant, you need to believe that you will be acquitted. otherwise you would plead guilty.
    not really. That's not true at all. I bet Ariel Castro will plead not guilty even though he knows he won't be acquitted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    How many convicts give an interview to media right after the guilty verdict? This is bizzare.
    Yeah. And she obviously took the time to refresh that makeup and comb that hair too. Thank goodness! Can't be caught looking dowdy. That would be downright...CRIMINAL!!!
    Last edited by twinsissv; 05-10-2013 at 05:20 AM.

vCash
    I don't think so. She clearly thought she could get away with this. People who do things like this, often, think they can get people to believe whatever lies they tell.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    not really. That's not true at all. I bet Ariel Castro will plead not guilty even though he knows he won't be acquitted.
    I don't know...he's apparently cooperating with police including waiving a bunch of rights. He might try for not guilty by reason of mental defect, but all things considered the odds of acquittal are so long, pleading might be the only way to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I don't think so. She clearly thought she could get away with this. People who do things like this, often, think they can get people to believe whatever lies they tell.
    Which is exactly why I said she was surprised because she thought she would be acquitted on what she presented to the jury. Lies would be believed and she would receive a not guilty determination.

Regarding Castro and what he will do - obviously the reports say that he is admitting to a great deal of horrible things/crimes. I think that he might be setting up for the mental illness thing. And I believe that there is good reason for the 8 mil bail. He might not flee but I am pretty sure that he would do harm/suicide. There is also a reason he is on suicide watch in prison.

re: the interview and "make-up" prior to the interview, the local Fox network is the one who got the interview right? I would bet that they sought and got an "exclusive interview heard only here on channel _____" prior to the end of the trial. And probably gave her the make-up person to do her hair/make-up. I know in some high profile murder trials in my area there have been the "scoop" news interview after the trial.

FWIW - I am glad that the jury found her guilty, not only because I thought she was guilty of pre-mediated murder in a particularly heinous manner, but to appease all of you who would take out your anger/frustration on how stupid the jury was.

Our legal system was set up to have a jury of your peers determine based upon evidence provided that you have done something, in this case murder, without a reasonable doubt that the crime was committed by that person. If the prosecution does not erase that doubt or they do something that presents itself as a reasonable doubt (if the glove does not fit, you can not convict - puts a reasonable doubt in one's mind). Sitting on a murder trial is not something that is easy to do. My dad did. He has agonize for 50 years over the outcome, which was indeed to find the man guilty. IT IS NOT EASY. and to sit on a jury is a privilege not something to get out of. Any of these high profile cases deserve a jury who will listen and weigh the possibilities not a jury that convicts before they are seated based upon the media reporting prior to and during the trial.

Blergh
    vCash
    Which is exactly why I said she was surprised because she thought she would be acquitted on what she presented to the jury. Lies would be believed and she would receive a not guilty determination.

Regarding Castro and what he will do - obviously the reports say that he is admitting to a great deal of horrible things/crimes. I think that he might be setting up for the mental illness thing. And I believe that there is good reason for the 8 mil bail. He might not flee but I am pretty sure that he would do harm/suicide. There is also a reason he is on suicide watch in prison.

re: the interview and "make-up" prior to the interview, the local Fox network is the one who got the interview right? I would bet that they sought and got an "exclusive interview heard only here on channel _____" prior to the end of the trial. And probably gave her the make-up person to do her hair/make-up. I know in some high profile murder trials in my area there have been the "scoop" news interview after the trial.

FWIW - I am glad that the jury found her guilty, not only because I thought she was guilty of pre-mediated murder in a particularly heinous manner, but to appease all of you who would take out your anger/frustration on how stupid the jury was.

Our legal system was set up to have a jury of your peers determine based upon evidence provided that you have done something, in this case murder, without a reasonable doubt that the crime was committed by that person. If the prosecution does not erase that doubt or they do something that presents itself as a reasonable doubt (if the glove does not fit, you can not convict - puts a reasonable doubt in one's mind). Sitting on a murder trial is not something that is easy to do. My dad did. He has agonize for 50 years over the outcome, which was indeed to find the man guilty. IT IS NOT EASY. and to sit on a jury is a privilege not something to get out of. Any of these high profile cases deserve a jury who will listen and weigh the possibilities not a jury that convicts before they are seated based upon the media reporting prior to and during the trial.
    I agree with you.

What really irked me about the whole Casey Anthony trial is how everyone was so sure they'd come up with a different verdict while sitting in the courtroom, listening to all the evidence away from the media hooplah and Nancy Grace-types out there. I mean, people are people and in these types of settings, nobody is really extraordinary or extra special.

vCash
    Awwwwwww... She was initially held in the Estrella Facility. While there, the other inmates wanted to...
    meet her...(star treatment)
    hug her...(star treatment)
    get her autograph...(star treatment)

The Spanish word for star? Estrella!

Source: The "star's" immediate post-conviction interview (star treatment)
    Last edited by twinsissv; 05-13-2013 at 01:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsissv View Post
    Awwwwwww... She was initially held in the Estrella Facility. While there, the other inmates wanted to...
    meet her...(star treatment)
    hug her...(star treatment)
    get her autograph...(star treatment)

The Spanish word for star? Estrella!

Source: The "star's" immediate post-conviction interview (star treatment)
    "Alright Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up"

vCash
    Right now the jury is deliberating on "life or death" for Jodi. My guess is she will get life without parole.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I'm pretty sure that's the next phase. Right now they're deliberating whether or not the elements that would support a death penalty are there.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    awwww...

Jodi looking all toady ...
    because Juan won!

vCash
    I just heard that Kirk Nurmi and Jennifer Willmott wanted off the case but the mostion was denied by the judge. I am not sure what pissed them off, the interview after the verdict or.

vCash
    Is it just me or does time-management seem to be something that this court does not take very seriously? $12 per day for jurors?
    I've NEVER seen a case with so many dark court days, postponements, early recesses, sudden illnesses, witness scheduling conflicts, hastily arranged hearings in judge's chambers, etc. I mean...this case has been going on since one day after New year's Day for Pete's sake! And why do the jurors need EVERY Friday off? This will turn prospective jurors off even MORE in the future. Sheesh!!!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast