Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

vCash
    It is my understanding that she will no longer be able to make profit from her crime....that includes a book....and they won't care what she says she is going to do with the profit.

Where was this jury with Casey Anthony. I am so proud of them! Thank G-d!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    It is my understanding that she will no longer be able to make profit from her crime....that includes a book....and they won't care what she says she is going to do with the profit. Although there are groups testing the constitutionality of the Son of Sam Laws, as near as I can tell, they apply at the moment.............as well they should.

Where was this jury with Casey Anthony. I am so proud of them! Thank G-d!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Premeditate murder and felony murder are both First Degree Murder. So she will either face the death penalty or life in prison without parole.
    Well, not so much according to this source: CBS They have to decide mitigating factors:

OPTION 1:

The panel doesn't find the presence of aggravating factors. In this case, the judge dismisses them and sentences Arias to either the rest of her life in prison or life in prison with the possibility of release after 25 years.

OPTION 2:

The jurors find there were aggravating factors, and the case moves into a penalty phase. The same jury decides whether Arias should be executed or get life in prison. This portion of the case could go on for several weeks, and additional witnesses could be called by both sides. If jurors don't then reach a unanimous agreement on the death penalty, the judge sentences Arias to either the rest of her life in prison or life in prison with the possibility of release after 25 years.

vCash
    Maybe a criminal attorney can explain this to me, but how can someone be guilty of First-degree murder and felony-murder? That doesn't make sense to me.

vCash
    I have mixed feelings about todays' verdict. I was so happy for Travis Alexander's family and friends but at the same time I felt really bad for Jodi Arias' family.

vCash
    unfortunately there is never a good outcome for all.

vCash
    Her family must be hurting. This has been a nightmare for everyone. I am just so glad the jury had to courage to convict her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by talulabell View Post
    yes, they just showed the reading of the verdict again... Felony was the word. I'm not sure what that means in the context of the verdict.
    I haven't been following the trial, but "felony murder" is a term that means that someone caused someone's death in the course of committing a felony. For example, let's say that someone robs a bank and ends up killing someone in the course of committing the crime. That's felony murder. It's also usually first degree murder even if the killing wasn't premeditated. For example, they might hit someone and kill them when they're speeding away from the bank.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I haven't been following the trial, but "felony murder" is a term that means that someone caused someone's death in the course of committing a felony. For example, let's say that someone robs a bank and ends up killing someone in the course of committing the crime. That's felony murder. It's also usually first degree murder even if the killing wasn't premeditated. For example, they might hit someone and kill them when they're speeding away from the bank.
    That's right. Depending on the state that recognizes felony murder, it may also apply to any death that occurs in the course of one committing an "inherently dangerous" felony. So if a man commits an armed robbery, and the cashier defends himself with a gun but accidentally shoots an innocent customer, the armed robber could be charged with felony-murder.

That's why I was confused as to how she could be convicted of both first-degree murder and felony-murder since usually deadly assault or physical violence (which could be felonies on their own) would absorb into the first-degree murder charge since the violence would be an essential element for first-degree murder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    That's right. Depending on the state that recognizes felony murder, it may also apply to any death that occurs in the course of one committing an "inherently dangerous" felony. So if a man commits an armed robbery, and the cashier defends himself with a gun but accidentally shoots an innocent customer, the armed robber could be charged with felony-murder.

That's why I was confused as to how she could be convicted of both first-degree murder and felony-murder since usually deadly assault or physical violence (which could be felonies on their own) would absorb into the first-degree murder charge since the violence would be an essential element for first-degree murder.
    I don't have a law background, so this may sound dumb, but isn't murder itself an act of violence? Plus stabbing someone 27 times and then shooting that person in the head sounds pretty violent to me.

vCash
    How ironic that the felony would be the theft of Travis' gun (wink...wink!) resulting in his death. We all know where that gun came from..now don't we? So Jodi will pay dearly for that particular theft and her grandfather will have to buy another gun.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't have a law background, so this may sound dumb, but isn't murder itself an act of violence? Plus stabbing someone 27 times and then shooting that person in the head sounds pretty violent to me.
    Yes, but if you just kill someone and that's all you're doing, you only get charged with murder. Felony murder as I generally understand it is, like VIETgrlTerifa said, when you're committing another crime (robbing a bank, breaking into a house, etc.) and someone dies as a result, whether you intended it or not (you shove someone down the stairs fleeing and they break their neck, you're driving the getaway car for someone robbing a store and they shoot the cashier), you can be charged with felony murder because your actions in committing the felony lead to the death, even if you didn't actually intend to kill them.

I'm not sure how that works here unless they mean the robbery in the theft of the gun, which I wouldn't think is the DIRECT cause of his death, but rather shows premeditation.

On the radio I heard Arias quoted as saying she wants the death penalty rather than life in prison, as death is the "ultimate freedom" and she wants her freedom sooner. Either she's REALLY off her rocker or she's trying really ill-advised reverse psychology. They also, though, mentioned there are already two women on death row in Arizona, but Arizona hasn't executed a woman since 1930. She may be sitting around in jail for a long time anyway....

vCash
    Some interesting statistics regarding women and the death penalty n the US.

As of December 31, 2012 there were 61 women on death row. This constitutes 1.93% of the total death row population of 3,146 persons. (NAACP Legal Defense Fund).
    http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/women-and-death-penalty

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I don't know if she is allowed to write a book. Is she allowed to?
    Of course she's allowed to write a book. This is the US not some dictatorship. What she's not allowed to do is make money off it. So she could it away or sell it and give the profits away.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Yes, but if you just kill someone and that's all you're doing, you only get charged with murder. Felony murder as I generally understand it is, like VIETgrlTerifa said, when you're committing another crime (robbing a bank, breaking into a house, etc.) and someone dies as a result, whether you intended it or not (you shove someone down the stairs fleeing and they break their neck, you're driving the getaway car for someone robbing a store and they shoot the cashier), you can be charged with felony murder because your actions in committing the felony lead to the death, even if you didn't actually intend to kill them.

I'm not sure how that works here unless they mean the robbery in the theft of the gun, which I wouldn't think is the DIRECT cause of his death, but rather shows premeditation.

On the radio I heard Arias quoted as saying she wants the death penalty rather than life in prison, as death is the "ultimate freedom" and she wants her freedom sooner. Either she's REALLY off her rocker or she's trying really ill-advised reverse psychology. They also, though, mentioned there are already two women on death row in Arizona, but Arizona hasn't executed a woman since 1930. She may be sitting around in jail for a long time anyway....
    The way they(HLN) explained before the verdict came was that when Jodi started stabbing, she was not welcomed at Travis' house anymore therefore she was not authorized to be there anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post

I may be totally off here, but as far as I know a 1st degree murder conviction would either be for premeditated murder or felony murder (or both). She was convicted of 1st degree murder. after that they broke it down: 5 of the jurors thought it was premeditated... she went to murder and that's what she did. 7 thought, not only was it premeditated, but it happened during the course of a felony. My theory on that is: she was stabbing him... that's felony assault, and he died (murder). I have no idea if that's right, but I really dont think the felony had to do with the gun being his, because (a) she didnt steal it, and (2) they all knew she was full of crap and she brought it with her.

I could be totally wrong, tho.
    Erm.... I got nothin'

vCash
    The stabbing would be a part of the murder itself. The felony for felony-murder would have to be something separate from the actual act of killing.

vCash
    So I read she wants the death penalty because she doesn't want to live the rest of her life in prison. Personally, I think that would be the perfect punishment, not killing her. Make her spend the rest of her life thinking about how she took someone else's.

vCash
    The next phase of the trial (aggravation) was suddenly canceled. Expected to resume Wed. 10 am

http://www.azcentral.com/community/m...postponed.html

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    So I read she wants the death penalty because she doesn't want to live the rest of her life in prison. Personally, I think that would be the perfect punishment, not killing her. Make her spend the rest of her life thinking about how she took someone else's.
    I think this woman is so manipulative that she is putting this out there because she is actually afraid of the death penalty. She is hoping this makes its way to the jurors and they decide that the true ultimate punishment would be life in prison where she can at least appeal to her death and hope for parole at some point.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast