Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

FSU Astrology Thread!

Hey FSUers! Any of you into astrology like me? I thought it would be fun to create an astrology thread.

As for me, I'm a Sagittarius, Aries rising, Moon in Aquarius (born in moon-in-void!). Also a couple of planets in Scorpio, Venus in Capricorn, Mars in Taurus and three more planets in Sagittarius.

While I'm not fanatical about living my life by looking at planetary placements on a daily basis, I do check out the void moons when it comes to something important.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I am familiar with astrology although I'm not into it anymore as I used to be. I studied it quite extensively some years ago and learned to calculate charts by hand using an ephemeris. For a time I practiced astrology but I never got to the point where I could read charts intuitively and synthesize them well, I always analyzed them element by element, in writing, and it took forever.

Although I'm generally skeptical of many spiritual systems, I find that astrology holds a lot of truth for me and reading charts has always given me good and accurate insights into people. I enjoy reading psychological/spiritual interpretations of astrology, like the work of Dane Rudyar and Stephen Arryoho (who are likely to be longer current).

When I read charts my focus has been on the planets, planetary configurations, the four angles, and house planets. I usually distill it down to major themes and signs. A person's major sign or signs may not be their birth sign, which makes it interesting.

A few years ago I got myself a 21st century ephemeris but I rarely consult it, just don't have the time. But I should do so as I have always found transits to be very telling, more so than progressed charts. For many years I followed the movements of Saturn in my chart, which accurately predicted that my work life would gel when Saturn hit my midheaven. It was a long wait, though!!

I'm a Scorpio with four planets conjunct in Scorpio, Moon in Aries, and Virgo rising, and a grand trine in fire. Fire/water type. Mercury, the ascendent ruler, is in Scorpio - so I'm very Scorpio. Fortunately though I have two planets in Libra as well. Had I been born just a few days later, they'd be in Scorpio and I've already got more than enough Scorpio to deal with. During my 20s I survived the transit of Pluto through Scorpio. It lasted for quite a few years, Pluto being slow moving, and it was hell.

What do you make of the void moons, skateboy? I've always been intrigued by them but not ever gained an understanding of their astrological meaning.

vCash
    Hey Japanfan, here's a description of the moon-in-void: http://www.integralastrology.net/pag...14/page14.html

I used to not pay any attention to void moons until, out of curiosity, I checked to see if some important projects and events that hadn't worked out for me had happened during void moons. In every case, yes. They can't be avoided, as they happen every few days or so. Most of the time it's no big deal, but I've found that if you're planning something important, it doesn't hurt to avoid the void moons, if at all possible.

ETA: In case anyone is interested, here's a list of all the time the moon is in void, for 2012-2013: http://www.debbikemptonsmith.com/ori...moon_sheet.htm
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I thought it might be fun to do a skater chart, so I chose for the purpose of discussion the current Men’s world champion - Patrick Chan – I am working with his solar chart because there is no recorded birth time that I am aware of. I used his ISU bio data of Dec 31st 1990 and his listed place of birth in Ottawa, Canada, and a noon birth time using Sun on Ascendant house system, should anyone reading this thread like to erect the chart and follow along more easily by using any of several astrology sites on the internet where one may cast a natal chart for free. Ex. www.astro.com

This will be a quick and dirty presentation using Tyl psychological approach with smattering of other ideas. With no actual birthtime its difficult to do a proper reading, but there are some standout features even in his solar chart that do pop out.

The 1st thing that catch’s my attention is the large collection of planets all in the sign of Capricorn.

Capricorn energy is essentially connected with affecting one’s progress in life, it suggests taking a “make it happen for self” approach, where energy is put into organizing, strategizing and deploying resources. Capricorn energy is also the management of obstacles and seeking to meet tangible goals – the self’s hard work and ambition is somehow being put on display, either positively, or negatively. Capricorn is all about learning how to become responsible, useful, efficient, authoritative, disciplined, and wiser, or about becoming more expert at doing something over time, in order to progress in life.

In Chan’s chart, his Capricorn sign strategy is strongly emphasized by the Sun, Uranus, Neptune, Venus, Saturn as well as the North Node. These planets form a rolling Capricorn stellium, - a huge form of concentrated energy where 3, or more planets, are all expressing the same sign strategy (in Chan’s case there are 5 planets, plus the N.Node,); they are working together and alone to potentially “make things happen” in Patrick’s Life, that is, if he chooses to express these ambitious urges, or not. Remember that planets don’t do anything, only people do by responding or not to whatever potentials they are born with.

I can’t determine hemisphere/quadrant emphasis without Patrick’s birth time. But I do see a See Saw planetary pattern, that suggests a huge focus on binary opposites (in his case note the Capricorn/Cancer polarities – there is the emphasized need “to make things happen,” using own ability to shine(Sun), subtly altered by concentrating on special genius qualities/ individuality factors he has (Uranus), and/ or thru his focus on life’s intangibles; the unseen, self’s delusions of grandeur; even a suppression of self, or the idea of something being other than it seems (Neptune’s bewilderment and artistic, spiritual factors).

All this Capricorn energy being showcased by Sun, Uranus and Neptune, opposing his Moon’s reigning need “to be emotionally secure, esp., within the family, or via his own interactions, with the public”. OR, its showcased via his Chiron need to break the rules, be a maverick, or his ability to heal, mentor, or be mentored using self’s sense of comfort, security and satisfaction to prove the point. The planetary oppositions suggesting that much objectivity and awareness on his part is required, or the seeking of balance in one’s life is necessary in order to cope. Life can become a difficult balancing act for Patrick –public achievement versus private fulfillment of own reigning needs.

The see saw pattern by itself, suggests fluctuating behavior patterns are being addressed not only by competing hemispheres and house strategies, but also are echoed by planet and sign strategies via the reigning need of the emotional and domestic security seeking Moon, in opposition to Capricorn’s visible demonstration of ambition strongly manifested by the Sun, Uranus and Neptune developmental energies. Chan’s maverick rule-breaking tendencies met thru his family and the people approaches (Chiron in Cancer) is also seen versus self’s relational, or the self’s aesthetic concerns (Venus), or by those in authority over him, or via any important life lessons represented by the kind of reward gained from long term pursuit of a goal met (Saturn) thru a Capricorn demonstration of ambition, authority and responsibility.

Patrick’s Sun/Moon combo, shows how his practicality, his purposeful, ambitious behavior affecting progress in life, is always going up against his emotions, reigning needs of personality, his sensitive, protective, defensive, reactionary responses to things or people he cares about -- the energies of the Sun and Moon each of them always fighting for the center of the stage! With Patrick, it’s all about whatever need is stronger at that particular moment in time. Any ambition being expressed by Patrick needs a base of emotional and domestic security and the balance is often precarious. The Sun’s ability to shine and be recognized is conditionally altered by Moon’s need press that demands a completely opposite strategy in order to feel fulfilled, as well as having to adjust to Jupiter’s internalized hope for personal reward – or Neptune’s bewilderment principles, both outer planets, plus Venus being parallel to the Sun, all a suggestion of idealism, or a strong sense of aesthetics, art, creativity being expressed at the core of life orientation. However the road to success will see its fair share of potholes as there is also the suggestion of demanding conditions in his life journey met through Uranus’s intensification and disruption strategies. On the other hand the Moon also has some demanding conditions to meet that alters its own behaviour due to the 3 quindecile aspects it makes involving Mercury, Venus, and Saturn.

Quindecile energy is strongly emphasized in Patrick’s chart. Quindecile energy represents disruption, separation¸ upheaval likely resulting from dynamics of obsession-compulsion. Or it showcase’s one’s ability to stay completely focused on something, someone, and that enduring focus may be a response to an upset or trauma in one’s life… As I previously stated Chan’s Moon makes Quindeciles to Mercury (centaur mindset expressing arch opinion likely drives emotional responses – some emotional immaturity may be highlighted, as well as prominent intuition and insight, and excellent self-evaluation, when objectivity is present), Venus (He may seek security through either love or money, creativity is strongly highlighted) and Saturn (may be driven by a fear of loss, can exhibit strong emotional control, can set goals and achieve them). Venus is also Quindecile Jupiter (excessively driven with a need for relationships and or money, codependency may be an issue, idealism may be present, extensive artistic and creative talents or a huge enjoyment of sports may be present, or a belief system may become major motivators, so education or the need to cooperate and collaborate is essential for positive manifestation.) Jupiter also found in a Quindecile to Saturn (fears drive expansion and growth factors, an expectation of extreme ups and downs, ambitions or fears and doubts compulsively being given the go ahead signal) and the N.Node (relationship with the public; maternal influences, the life purpose drives the hope for personal reward and recognition). Physical world reality -Capricorn linked to emotional responses - Cancer. Security tied to success. Must constantly push to prove self.

The next big bell I see is that Patrick has a peregrine Pluto. Pluto dominates the horoscope behaviorally, in terms of its planetary -transformation/phoenix principle/having a major impact archetype. Pluto becomes a significant singleton in Chan’s chart because it is not in traditional aspect (conjunction, square, opposition, sextile, or trine) to any other planet. It thus makes a lot of noise to attract attention. Pluto is also dignified being in its own sign of Scorpio, giving it extra power to do what it does, just the way it needs to do it. There is the potential for prominence within his own core developmental level, as this dominating Pluto energy will likely run away with the horoscope.
    What is this Pluto energy all about?

- It is a major dose of empowerment, or not, thru own personal perspective; the expectation of an extreme, or important form of development, or knowledge about something, and the price that must be paid to release one’s inner power urges; it is a deep psychological self-examination, that stimulates growth, development and ultimately change; the need to do something with one’s life that makes a difference. The act to empower the self in that extreme way requires risk, or faith, as well as desire so deep and compelling that one has no choice but to go with it at all costs! These psychological behaviours are all being experienced by Patrick in terms of the sign (Scorpio), house Pluto is in (?), or that it rules over(?) however, that can’t be determined without an exact time of birth. All Patrick’s Pluto energy is being met thru the level of passion , zeal, a compulsion for something, or someone, or via the need to control by knowing, or via the urge for self-mastery, urge to be masterful, his need is to be significant, prominent. Expectation being that he will channel his intensity into an empowerment to make dramatic sweeping changes. His challenge is to recognize that sacrifices are often necessary to allow continued growth and progress. Pluto makes a quintile (strong accentuation of creativity or special intelligence within core development) to the North Node (life purpose, recognition and renown, the maternal influence, relationship with the public) further suggesting his talent for making a major, dramatic impact on the public; an ability to connect with powerful people, and for publicly presenting a new perspective.

Uranus in Capricorn is oriental, suggesting there is likely to be a press for excitement or a sense of adventure, doing anything that is dangerous, or outside the status quo. Being adventurous, or innovative, socially progressive, or working independently, perhaps being self-employed will likely have the highest work appeal.

Mars RX in Taurus – applied energy in the form of action to fulfill needs is being met thru an urge to keep things as they are, or by making them, as they should be, all to maintain structure, organization and security. However Mars energy is being internalized, or there may be a secondary agenda, or counterpoint experience that demands overcompensation within the house affairs it is in or that it rules.

Feel free to jump in Japanfan, and skateboy. Oh my own data is Oct 9th 1954 in London Ontario at 9:30 AM EST giving Asc of 19 Scorpio, Sun/Moon combo of: Libra Sun and Pisces Moon...
    Last edited by Debrah; 02-19-2013 at 02:40 AM. Reason: spelling

vCash
    Taurus reporting here.

I never studied Astrology, but I know a few people that did.

vCash
    In addition to Chan's unaspected Pluto in Scorpio suggesting the potential for prominence, he also has the significant midpoint picture of Aries point=Jupiter Pluto.

Contact with the Aries point also suggests the potential for public projection. While there is no planet in contact with the Aries Point it does make contact with a significant midpoint of Jupiter/Pluto that describes exactly how dominant energies could be publicly demonstrated, or how one may come to be well known, or what they are famous for. Jupiter and Pluto energies combine in an aspect relationship forming a midpoint picture and this contact with the Aries point tells us that Patrick may become known/famous for, or he expresses a potential for public demonstration/projection of (1) a strength of conviction and or optimism for creating dramatic sweeping changes; (2) an expansive, transformational change, or growth; (3) recognizing embracing, or promoting necessary inevitable change; (4) expansion of own power needs;(5) enormous success/wealth, or generosity;(6) a hugely empowered form of athleticism...

vCash
    Debrah, thanks for the great info on Patrick!

So you're a Libra with Scorpio rising and Pisces Moon... what an interesting combo... you are obviously a fascinating person!

vCash
    Thanks for the detailed analysis, Debrah.

Patrick has Moon in Cancer, right? Is it directly opposite the Sun?

vCash
    Thanks for the detailed analysis, Debrah.

Patrick has Moon in Cancer, right? Is it directly opposite the Sun?

Saturn is well-placed in Capricorn as its ruler. Are Sun, Uranus, Neptune, Venus, and Saturn all conjunct? And what house are the planets in?

That's a very interesting set of planets in Capricorn. Venus will soften the hard edges of Saturn, and Uranus and Neptune will make it interesting, as they are not natural bedfellows of Saturn. You describe how this manifests very well. Fortunately he does not have the destructive force of Pluto in there.

It would be interesting to look at the transits impacting Patrick's chart now, given that he is having such a bad season and made such a serious change to his regime - not to mention, falling in love.

vCash
    Yes, Chan's Moon is in Cancer (dignified) and opposes his Sun in Capricorn. I find it interesting that Chan has said he prefers doing competitions that are closer to home, that makes sense when you know his Moon sign
    No way to know the house set up, without the actual birth time to tell us his rising sign, that's why I used Sun on ascendant house system -a solar chart.

The Sun, Uranus are both 9 Capricorn and Neptune is at 14 Capricorn so are all considered conjunct within tight 5 degree orb. Then a 10 degree gap finds 24 his Capricorn Venus, the 25 Capricorn Saturn and The 29 Capricorn (a critical degree) North Node, so these points are also conjunct. However due to the Sun's reach some astrologer's might conclude a wide rolling stellium rather than see 2 distinct groups. My observation is 2 distinct groups that SOMETIMES may all act in concert. Yep that.s my fence sitting Libra sun talking, LOL!

Venus cnj Saturn may express as: the ability to make aesthetic beauty tangible; possible social caution or reserve; grace being given to ambition; the arts introduced to the life; the hurt of love lost, or the suppression of love feelings, perhaps a relationship with someone of conspicuous age difference. Life's neccesary controls -reality factors, the influence of one's own authority figures, may unduly emphasize own social and relationship connections, or own aesthetic urges.

vCash
    I find such nonsense a distraction from reality and every day life, often with pointless unforseen consequences. I knew this couple who split apart because he was a Capricorn and she was a Mattawitter.

vCash
    I find astrology a lot of fun though total nonsense. Just something to amuse yourself with rather than anything real about your personality, considering everything seems so very generic that could apply to anyone. I'm an Aquarius, and the personality traits don't particularly fit me very well. Not sure about the rest though I do know my birth time and all that.

vCash
    Duh - of course you don't know the houses . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Debrah View Post
    The Sun, Uranus are both 9 Capricorn and Neptune is at 14 Capricorn so are all considered conjunct within tight 5 degree orb. Then a 10 degree gap finds 24 his Capricorn Venus, the 25 Capricorn Saturn and The 29 Capricorn (a critical degree) North Node, so these points are also conjunct. However due to the Sun's reach some astrologer's might conclude a wide rolling stellium rather than see 2 distinct groups. My observation is 2 distinct groups that SOMETIMES may all act in concert. Yep that.s my fence sitting Libra sun talking, LOL!
    I wouldn't consider it one stellium, because it isn't. I prefer tighter rather than broader definitions of conjunctions and stelliums - all aspects, in fact,

The Sun/Uranus conjunction is interesting - going to make Patrick less conventional than he otherwise would be. It may explain why he favour spontaneity and honesty over researched lines in interviews. Then Saturn-Venus. That's nice, just nice. Going to just make him a nicer guy period. Capricorns can be gloomy sorts and rigid in their adherence to what they see as right or necessary.

vCash
    Wow....I only know that I am a Leo, don't know a thing about my moons or planets or conjunctions! All the personality descriptions I have seen for Leo's have very little in common with my own personality. Madonna, for example is a Leo, all confident and fierce, and I am, well, not.

vCash
    That's the problem with Sun Sign astrology it's only 1 part of the whole, sometimes the Sun is the weakest part of the entire personality so people dismiss astrology because the traits they read about in the paper don't seem to fit.

Quartz - there are many types of Leo's, most contingent on the specific Moon sign that fuels the Sun's Leo energies or the specific Ascendant sign that projects it. The performer, or executive/manager or leader types that actively seek applause, recognition via need to feed a self-expressive, self-dramatizing ego that seeks a center stage position or an executive role in life, are just the most well known types of a Leo Sun! Houses also alter Sun traits, since a 1st house Leo Sun is very different in expression, from that of a 12th house Leo Sun, for example.

There are many other Leo types that are NOT the well known "in your face" kind that are all about the self-drama,self-love by openly expressing daring, pride, courage, and vanity. Some Leo Sun's are actually very shy, often quite idealistic, or gooey romantics; these Leo's tend to be more behind the scenes types who may shun the spotlight, but who are still creatively imaginative, often very sentimental, or romanticly self-expressive types who only seek to be loved, respected, and made to feel they are important notso much by the general populace, but by the actual people they themselves care about, or love!

Astrology is a science that has survived for thousands of years, it has nothing to do with religion, or witchcraft! Astrology is currently even taught at the university level, one can get a professional degree in astrology, but there are still some people who practice or disseminate it, who are not well informed, or properly trained, they are the dabbler's, the hobbyists with only a smattering of knowledge that can be dangerous, many other are the fruitloops, the con artists, the one's who only want to make a quick buck preying on the vulnerable, who tend to give astrology a very bad name. Ever hear the expression a little knowledge can be dangerous, well it certainly applies to astrology where the misunderstandings can turn lethal. Planets do not do, or cause anything, people do based on the decisions they make! Just because you have say, a Jupiter transit does not automatically or magically confer money, success that is just going to drop out of the sky and into your pocket, you have to be out in the world working hard, and efficiently so that when an opportunity actually appears, then you can grab it and run with it. A Venus transit won't make Mr. Right knock on your door and propose to you; you have to be out in the world, doing whatever you do, confident of who you are, and what you want in a mate, and you have to love yourself, before asking someone else to love you, thus a Venus transit only provides more of an opportunity to unite, find that special person provided you have laid the proper goundwork and have put your best qualities out in the world and on display, so Mr. Right can actually recognize you and ask you out, then it's up to you to say yes or no to him, and both of you to discover if you can row the boat together over time and get where you both want it to go. You MUST use common sense not magical thinking with astrology.

vCash
    Wow again! Debrah, I am amazed at the complexity and all the layers that you are discussing. So, I feel better now for being a Leo and not being like Madonna! How do you even find all the other planet stuff relating to your birth? (I was born a loooong time ago....)

vCash
    Oh, and Debrah, I just noticed you were born in London (fake)......are you still in the area? If so, I am practically your neighbor, over here in St.Thomas!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    Wow again! Debrah, I am amazed at the complexity and all the layers that you are discussing. So, I feel better now for being a Leo and not being like Madonna! How do you even find all the other planet stuff relating to your birth? (I was born a loooong time ago....)
    Go to: www.astro.com.

vCash
    Quartz - I no longer live in London, but I will be in London for the world championships! I am with the tour group - Downhill Rider's staying at the 4 points Sheraton, and I will be seated in section 111, row G, seat 1, at the arena, if you too, are attending; feel free to drop on by. My name really is Debrah.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debrah View Post
    Astrology is a science that has survived for thousands of years, it has nothing to do with religion, or witchcraft!
    Or science.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast