Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    In an interview just before Worlds 2013, Joannie clearly said that she has not yet made a decision but that she will make one soon and that she will make an announcement after the CSOI tour is done and she's had some time at home.
    Joannie has indicated that the team event was what she found most interesting about a possible comeback for Sochi. Canada seems like the front runner for the team event, and I have to think that Joannie would seriously consider that opportunity.

Back to WTT, I wonder if Alexa and Chris were offered the spot. Marissa and Simon are National Champs, but S&K did better at Worlds, not sure how they decided the invite, but I'm glad Marissa and Simon will get a chance to perform.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Considering it's in Japan, sending the Shibs might have been a nice gesture, but after C/B surpassed them at Nationals and Worlds, I don't think there was much of a chance that they'd be chosen over C/B.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Back to WTT, I wonder if Alexa and Chris were offered the spot. Marissa and Simon are National Champs, but S&K did better at Worlds, not sure how they decided the invite, but I'm glad Marissa and Simon will get a chance to perform.
    This quote by Alexa Scimeca after S/K's FS seems to indicate that they were not planning on competing at WTT:
    "We’re going to take a mini-vacation/break for my foot. We’re going to visit family and let my foot heal then get busy for next season."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Joannie has indicated that the team event was what she found most interesting about a possible comeback for Sochi. Canada seems like the front runner for the team event, and I have to think that Joannie would seriously consider that opportunity.

I heard they were offered the first alternate position and declined that. Had they been offered the spot they probably would have gone. It makes for a very late season to be an alternate so to decline..finish healing and have a vaca before the next season starts makes sense I think.

vCash

You have to be qualified for the individual discipline first before you can be named to be on the team for the team event, so Joannie has to qualify for a spot in the Ladies first and willing compete there at the Olympics. For my money I don't expect Joannie to compete at Sochi.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    That whole thing is ridiculous. The ISU has already negotiated for ten spots -- singles or teams -- or up to twenty extra athletes for teams that don't have discipline(s) that qualify. That makes the whole "No more athletes than participate in the individual events" argument moot. Why they didn't negotiate for an extra athlete or team for each nation, optional and to be applied to a discipline for which there is no qualifier or to compete in a discipline for which only one or two qualified, is beyond me. The liability is theoretically the same for the IOC, and while Russia might choose Plushenko and Canada Rochette, a lot of the nations, especially those who don't have that many athletes that meet the age and TES minimums, might rather spread the metals and experience among their singles competitors, and the IOC gets a better show, storyline, publicity.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Nan Song (CHN) has withdrawn from the World Team Trophy due to a knee injury. He has been replaced by Yi Wang.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    You have to be qualified for the individual discipline first before you can be named to be on the team for the team event, so Joannie has to qualify for a spot in the Ladies first and willing compete there at the Olympics. For my money I don't expect Joannie to compete at Sochi.
    Since the team event is first, say Joannie qualifies a Ladies spot, competes Team event, then withdraws- can Osmond replace her for the singles event?

Pretty much every skater always has some injury they can cite as a reason if needed.

vCash
    Is there a schedule for the WTT yet?

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Is there a schedule for the WTT yet?
    http://www.isuresults.com/events/WTT...ceSchedule.pdf
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    If Joannie wanted to come back, she really should have done like all the other skaters who are attempting a comeback---started preparing this season. Of course, maybe she has been doing that and keeping it private.

Where can this event be viewed?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    WTT will be streamed live via the ISU site except in the countries that are broadcasting (Japan, Korea).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I can't believe some of you are so much in denial to believe Rochette is actually going to come back.

Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Yay for Gabby Daleman! This will be such a wonderful experience for her, one that she had earned with her performances at nationals and junior worlds. Given that she's one of the front runners for the second Olympic spot, she needs this type of experience (she just attained age eligibility for senior, I believe, so this will be her first senior international.)
    Third. She's competed at Challenge Cup and Four Continents this season.

Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    She's not listed as alternate either. Maybe she's injured? She had injury problems this past season, right?
    Chartrand was 3rd at Nationals, Lacoste was 4th. That's probably why she's not an alternate.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    No, Daleman won the Junior silver medal at Challenge Cup last year and was too young (14) for 4CC this year.

ETA: I still feel badly for Lacoste since she did contribute GP points to Canada's team qualification and is still the top-ISU Canadian lady for now.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-02-2013 at 03:21 PM.

vCash
    Julianne Seguin was at 4CC 2013 with Osmond.
    Last edited by rvi5; 04-02-2013 at 03:11 PM.

vCash
    Grazie!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

What are you talking about? Lacoste, Osmond and Siguin were at Four Continent, not Daleman.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Since the team event is first, say Joannie qualifies a Ladies spot, competes Team event, then withdraws- can Osmond replace her for the singles event?
    Osmond earned two spots for Canada for Sochi and 2014 Worlds. Canada can choose to have the same woman skate in the SP and FS, or have different women for each progam. It depends on what their strategy is, since in any two of the four disciplines, they can have different skaters/teams in each phase.

Even were Rochette to come back, whoever the other Ladies entry is would skate in Ladies regardless of whether she was chosen for the Team Event.

As for any substitutions, it depends on what the rules and timelines are for changing entries. Does anyone know what triggers the deadline? First day on practice ice? X days before the start of the event? The SP/SD draw? Something else?

It's not a crazy scenario for a skater/team to sustain or aggravate an injury during the team event or practices. I hope the IOC has made the ISU think this one through.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 04-02-2013 at 08:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    WTT will be streamed live via the ISU site except in the countries that are broadcasting (Japan, Korea).
    It will be streamed in US and Canada??? OMG.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I like how the Isu has on the face of the vid screen for live stream the countdown (no worry about time conversions): 3hrs 20min 2 seconds till live stream starts.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast