Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

vCash
    Blog by Evan Bates. Who is funny, as usual.
    Excerpt:
    In reality, I am a sore thumb in this Asian metropolis. At 6-foot-2 with blond, curly hair, the mere sight of me caused Japanese schoolgirls on the plane to point, giggle and reach for high-fives. Of course, I embraced it and ran down the aisle high-fiving Japanese strangers before proceeding to wash my hands profusely in the small-quartered airplane bathroom. I will take this small amount of attention with a grain of salt, as I know when I return to Ann Arbor, Mich., next week and slip back into complete anonymity, I will feel comfortably at home.
    Action photos!
    I can do pushups JUST with my two arms, no feet needed!
    The French take a brief rest during the FD
    Y'all thought I was done with the bad facial hair after Worlds, didn't you? You were WRONG!
    Han Yan's contribution to the jumpface competition
    Dai's contribution
    But nobody beats the jumpface king (LOVE YOU, JEREMY!)
    Last edited by LilJen; 04-12-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Twitter:

Jackie Wong‏@examinerskating 23m

It's once again Daisuke Takahashi on top at World Team Trophy, Chock/Bates give #TeamUSA a win in dance RECAP: http://exm.nr/153dMpz #WTT13

vCash
    WTT Current ranking, with Pairs and Ladies LP remaining...

32 CAN
    29 JPN
    28 USA
    16 FRA
    15 RUS
    14 CHN

The following spoiler is the WTT result projections after the Pairs LP. Although nothing is guaranteed, don't look if you prefer to remain blissfully unaware...

Spoiler

Ladies projections to follow. Stay tuned...
    Last edited by rvi5; 04-13-2013 at 03:16 AM.

vCash
    The following spoiler is the WTT result projections after the Ladies LP. Although nothing is guaranteed, don't look if you prefer to remain blissfully unaware...

Spoiler

Last edited by rvi5; 04-13-2013 at 04:12 AM.

vCash
    Will there be a gala broadcast on the ISU streaming site?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I think I recall watching the gala last year via the ISU live stream?

ISU's Day 2 recap: http://www2.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/p...0.html?id=1308

Tatjana Flade has confirmed via Twitter that Konstantin Menshov dislocated his shoulder on the 3A fall in his FS that forced him to WD.
    ETA: It's also mentioned in the the recap article linked above.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-13-2013 at 02:23 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    If Japan had a pairs team at all, they would probably win this - even finishing in last place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    The following spoiler is the WTT result projections after the Ladies LP. Although nothing is guaranteed, don't look if you prefer to remain blissfully unaware...

Spoiler

ETA: Correction on Kexin Zhang LP score
    You may want to redo your numbers as the points are not awarded for sp and lp

vCash

2013 ISU World Team Trophy, April 11-14, in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho View Post
    You may want to redo your numbers as the points are not awarded for sp and lp
    Thanks...info corrected. Hopefully my math is correct.

I erroneously started with the ISU website team standings, which apparently contained a combination of final LP and tentative SP rankings. I removed the Pairs and Ladies tentative SP rankings from the ISU standings, and recalculated based on my seasons best estimated scores.

Canada and Japan would be tied. I recall seeing an official explanation of the tie break procedures somewhere. I will need to relocate that document.

vCash
    Probably a fight between Japan and USA for first place?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I recall seeing an official explanation of the tie break procedures somewhere. I will need to relocate that document.
    It's linked from post #1 in this thread: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=3967 (see page 10)

ETA Day 2 recap article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Friday backstage photos: http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gal...nt_id=44575270
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-13-2013 at 02:27 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash

Found the document. Not sure I understand it...

When forming the intermediate and final result, in case of a tie between Teams, the tie breaking procedure will be used taking into consideration

• The highest total team points from the two (2) best places in different disciplines will break the ties;

• If they remain tied, the highest total scores of the two (2) best places according to the team points in different
    disciplines will break the ties;

• If they remain tied, the highest total team points from the three (3) best places in different disciplines will break the
    ties;

• If they remain tied, the highest total scores of the three (3) best places according to the team points in different

• If these criteria fail to break the ties, the teams will be considered as tied.

source: http://www.czechskating.org/kalendar/1467.pdf

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    If Japan had a pairs team at all, they would probably win this - even finishing in last place.
    They should have sent anybody. Maybe have them perform a fireman's lift.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-13-2013 at 02:56 AM.

vCash
    [QUOTE=rvi5;3899682]Found the document. Not sure I understand it...

and the quote above amplifies the larger problem facing the ISU. If skating fans are having difficulty understanding ISU documents, what chance do the general public have as casual viewers of the sport?

vCash

The general public wouldn't be searching for documents, much less reading them.

vCash
    Found the document. Not sure I understand it...

When forming the intermediate and final result, in case of a tie between Teams, the tie breaking procedure will be used taking into consideration

• The highest total team points from the two (2) best places in different disciplines will break the ties;

• If they remain tied, the highest total scores of the two (2) best places according to the team points in different

source: http://www.czechskating.org/kalendar/1467.pdf
    Lordy, I'm not sure of the difference between these two tiebreaking rules. I think the first one would mean Japan would win a tiebreaker over Canada because they would have two firsts and Canada would have two seconds.

ISU, Obfsucation is thy middle name.

(Many years ago I was involved in developing international standards. They were written in a similar peculiar way.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Probably a fight between Japan and USA for first place?
    I think it would be a battle between USA, Canada, and Japan.

At seasons best (or better), there wouldn't be much room for Asada and Suzuki to improve their ranking (since they would already be near the top). Japan must rely on Gracie & Ashley making mistakes and slip lower in rank.

In Canada's case, D/R will not improve on 2nd place. Even if they could, the most it would add is one point. Canada's chances to win rests entirely on Osmond and Daleman. They will need to improve their combined rank by outscoring other skaters ahead of them, and/or relying on those other skaters making mistakes and falling behind Kaetlyn and Gabby. Or like Japan, hope Gracie and Ashley make mistakes.

vCash
    They should have sent anybody. Maybe have them perform a fireman's lift.
    They could have put a senior lady with a senior man, thrown together some moves and called it a pair. I bet at least one lady and man would have been willing.

vCash
    OMG! Hope everyone is OK!!

Twitter:

The Associated Press ‏@AP 16m

Magnitude 6.3 earthquake strikes southwestern Japan, leaving several seriously injured: http://apne.ws/12U0njE -SS
    EDIT: Epicenter near Kobe.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-13-2013 at 05:06 AM.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast