Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Why are you surprised? Kazakhstan has got crap loads of money from oil. It has a capital which has received tons of development and re-development in recent years which now looks like some kind of futuristic dystopia.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Astana_2.jpg

It's a dictatorship with very big ambitions (just like Azerbeijan) and my guess is that they would fund athletes that can get them recognised on the international level.
    Like Azerbaijan, Kazakistan is good at getting from former-SSR. As Ziggy said they have crap load of money, most of there wrestling, boxing, tennis team is made of athletes from other country. Anyway didn't Buianova suggest that the reason Denis leaved her was because of Kazak federation interference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

Check out ALL the impressive fan artwork here! (for skaters from Team USA, RUS, JPN, FRA, CHN, CAN): https://twitter.com/waccosky/media/grid
    Impressive indeed, but from the images it looks more like Menshov and Ponsart are wearing tutus..

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Impressive indeed, but from the images it looks more like Menshov and Ponsart are wearing tutus..
    Most of the singles guys do, actually! I'm glad to see the original photographers are credited at the bottom of each picture.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Twitter:

icenetwork.com ‏@icenetwork 39m

We break down the fields at the World Team Trophy and make our prediction for who will come out on top: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news … #WTT2013
    U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating 46m
    Eight U.S. Athletes to Compete at 2013 ISU World Team Trophy in Tokyo http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49164&type=media … #WTT13
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-09-2013 at 05:57 PM.

vCash
    IceNetwork, of course, is US-centric, so I take their prognostication of a US win with a large grain of salt.

LADIES
    The top 3 Asada, Suzuki, Wagner seem reasonable, but Wagner might be third rather than second. Suzuki seems to skate much better at home than she does elsewhere. Tuktamysheva beating Gold and Osmond seems to me. She finished well behind both at Worlds, even with a clean FS; Liza has a real stumbling block when it comes to SPs. Li in 8th place is another headscratcher---she skated a clean 7-triple FS at Worlds, a feat no other skater matched. Sotnikova has struggled all season, so I see no reason for placing her above two skaters who beat her at Worlds. Sure, this is a low-pressure event, but it is a low-pressure event for ALL the skaters.

MEN
    A big question here is the condition of Han Yan. In top shape, he could vie for the podium; he placed 3rd at 4CC, edging Aaron. Reynolds could be on the podium, or he could be fifth or lower depending on whether he can rotate his jumps. Mura might not place that well here; he struggled on home ice at 4CC. I think Menshov could place higher than 10th if he lands all his jumps. Kovtun is an enigma---he could place high or he could bomb.

PAIRS
    I'd love to see Castelli/Shnapir beat the Chinese team, but C/S fell short at Worlds. They did beat Peng/Zhang at 4CC though, so maybe.... I'd much rather have seen Scimeca/Knierim at WTT.

ICE DANCE
    The IceNetwork order is pretty much what I would predict.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    IceNetwork, of course, is US-centric, so I take their prognostication of a US win with a large grain of salt.

LADIES
    The top 3 Asada, Suzuki, Wagner seem reasonable, but Wagner might be third rather than second. Suzuki seems to skate much better at home than she does elsewhere. Tuktamysheva beating Gold and Osmond seems to me. She finished well behind both at Worlds, even with a clean FS; Liza has a real stumbling block when it comes to SPs. Li in 8th place is another headscratcher---she skated a clean 7-triple FS at Worlds, a feat no other skater matched. Sotnikova has struggled all season, so I see no reason for placing her above two skaters who beat her at Worlds. Sure, this is a low-pressure event, but it is a low-pressure event for ALL the skaters.
    Why shouldn't Tuktamysheva be able to beat Gold and Osmond? You are judging her based on one competition she messed up, but the bottom line is that she was 2nd and 3rd at her GP events (in comparison with Gracie's 2nd and 7th place at her GP events). She also has about 4 points higher season best than Gracie and more than 10 points higher than Kaetlyn.

In regards to Sotnikova struggling the whole season - she didn't struggle any more than Gracie and Kaetlyn. Sotnikova was 3rd and 5th at her GP events, which is very comparable to Gracie's 2nd and 7th. Sotnikova has 10 points higher season best than Gracie and at about 15 points higher than Kaetlyn.

Why would you think that because both Adelina and Liza messed up worlds, they have to be automatically worse skaters?

vCash
    Twitter:

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating 13m

World Team Trophy vs. Olympic Team Event http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2013/...ic-team-event/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Why shouldn't Tuktamysheva be able to beat Gold and Osmond? You are judging her based on one competition she messed up, but the bottom line is that she was 2nd and 3rd at her GP events (in comparison with Gracie's 2nd and 7th place at her GP events). She also has about 4 points higher season best than Gracie and more than 10 points higher than Kaetlyn.

In regards to Sotnikova struggling the whole season - she didn't struggle any more than Gracie and Kaetlyn. Sotnikova was 3rd and 5th at her GP events, which is very comparable to Gracie's 2nd and 7th. Sotnikova has 10 points higher season best than Gracie and at about 15 points higher than Kaetlyn.

Why would you think that because both Adelina and Liza messed up worlds, they have to be automatically worse skaters?
    (shrugs) Tuk and Sot got their SB scores at Europeans, where they were two of the top three skaters. Many of the skaters they beat didn't even make it to Worlds. Head to head against Gold and Osmond, Tuk and Sot placed lower.

GP events show only a skater's form at the beginning of the season and doesn't mean much when it comes to the season-ending events. Tuk and Sot skated OK in the GP and they skated OK at Euros and Worlds, but both made mistakes at all those competitions; the quality of their skating was pretty much the same, the end result was of course different (podium at GP and Euros, but 9th and 10th at Worlds. But Gold skated much better at Worlds than she had at the beginning of the season---the GP was Gold's first experience at the Senior level while Tuk and Sot were in their second GP season. And BTW, Osmond won her GP event, getting a better medal than any of Gold, Tuk and Sot.

vCash
    It's way too early to write off Tuk and Sot.

Title-less
    vCash
    I expect Tuk to do fairly well because she's landed 6-7 triples in the Lp all season long. Sotnikova is a bit more inconsistent

vCash
    Wheee! I may be in the minority, but I love this competition. I love the fans, the team aspect and getting to see these skaters and programs one last time before the off season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Wheee! I may be in the minority, but I love this competition. I love the fans, the team aspect and getting to see these skaters and programs one last time before the off season.

me too.

vCash
    Me, three.

Just wish Team Italy was going this year.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Why are you surprised? Kazakhstan has got crap loads of money from oil. It has a capital which has received tons of development and re-development in recent years which now looks like some kind of futuristic dystopia.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_Astana_2.jpg

It's a dictatorship with very big ambitions (just like Azerbeijan) and my guess is that they would fund athletes that can get them recognised on the international level.
    When the sponsors for a cycling team that featured two prominent Kazakh cyclists dropped out, the govt had state related companies promptly form a new team named after the Kazakh capital. I recall the minister of defense was president of the cycling federation. For a time, that team also featured Tour de France winner Alberto Contador, which is why, after one grand tour win, you saw Contador and teammate and podium finisher Levi Leipheimer, make a visit to Astana and don traditional clothing for a photo op.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    USFS tweeted a few minutes ago: "#teamusa has started official practice in Tokyo. @MaxTAaron is up first #wtt13" http://instagram.com/p/X53FfFm3yO/

ETA that there was a Dance practice before the Men's on the schedule and Ladies are up next: http://www.isuresults.com/events/WTT...ceSchedule.pdf
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-10-2013 at 01:51 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Twitter:

U.S. Figure Skating ‏@USFigureSkating 50s

The famed team boxes #wtt13 http://instagram.com/p/X54uQem30K/

vCash
    Sylvia, to our benefit, nothing ever seems to get past you. Thanks.

vCash
    Somebody just can't wait to have a photo taken with his idol!

His weibo said they just finished the morning practice and still out of breath

vCash
    Screw Yuna Kim or Michelle Kwan, Sylvia is the REAL Queen!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Screw Yuna Kim or Michelle Kwan, Sylvia is the REAL Queen!
    Word.
    "You may know what you need, but to get what you want better see that you keep what you have." ~ Stephen Sondheim

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast