Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

vCash
    I like the idea of a team event in theory, but I think the way they are going about it is, well, I would give them a low P/E mark, if you know what I mean.

Is skating picking up any new fans at the Olympics? People who come back and watch it the following year? If the answer is no or not many, why does anyone think doubling the same product will help?

I wish they had come up with a different format, without programs, that incorporated elements of "top jump" and expanded it to include spins, rotational lifts, throw jumps, etc. They would have to put that at then end, because if you put it before the individual events, everyone would be holding back.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    II wish they had come up with a different format, without programs, that incorporated elements of "top jump" and expanded it to include spins, rotational lifts, throw jumps, etc. They would have to put that at then end, because if you put it before the individual events, everyone would be holding back.
    I thought this event has ceased to exist as spectators were actually not very much interested t to watch elements only (= jumps). I don’t see how the team event can be made more popular by following such a format. Beside that I don`t think it could be any longer considered as an event reflecting the team strength in overall figure skating of the participating countries, but just their strength in TES.

vCash
    I agree that a skills competition won't work - casual fans have never shown interest in such things, more involved fans certainly haven't, and it tosses away much of the appeal of skating.

Scheduling it last is an unfortunate decision - made, according to Dore, because the US network (NBC?) insisted on showing the ladies last. Obviously skaters will have to figure out how to conserve their energy; my guess is that the men's and pairs competition within the team event will be most strongly affected. But OTOH, there are skaters who know they have little chance at an individual medal but could contribute to a team medal, and I imagine they will put a more serious effort into the team event.

Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Ugh. The dance event is going to be a snooze-fest.
    The rest of the disciplines have stronger fields, though, even the men's field where there have been some WDs too. With dance being single entry, the effects of WDs is felt more strongly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    Ugh. The dance event is going to be a snooze-fest.
    I was surprised that P/B were taking part anyway.I thought he would be recovering from his injury and then work on new stuff .
    I'm glad it will give them more time and C/J need this as P/C will be on their heels soon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

Nobody is making you watch - and as we've seen, nobody is truly forcing the skaters to compete. Looks to me like at least some of them really like the team format and a less stressful competition.

And synchro is hardly the same.
    I won't be watching. And they do put restrictions on skaters who choose not to compete. I'm also sure some skaters enjoy competing, especially those who don't get a lot of assignments, they are probably thrilled to be going.

But I still think it's stupid and I think the whole concept is a breeding ground for all the problems we want out of skating. I don't TRUST the event at all. If people think individual skating is judged according to nationality just wait to see what happens next year with a team event on the schedule. I think last years was used for to settle scores from Nice, I think the whole circus people (and many here) expected the skaters to put on in the K&C ridiculous.

I would MUCH rather see synchro added to the Olympics. Put a cap on the top 6-8 qualifiers from the previous worlds if you need to keep numbers down but the event could be done in two days just like the team event. It may "hardly be the same" to you but the top teams in the world make a lot of sacrifices to skate synchro and work really hard on and off the ice and as a fan of figure skating I like to watch ALL the disciplines of figure skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I would MUCH rather see synchro added to the Olympics. Put a cap on the top 6-8 qualifiers from the previous worlds if you need to keep numbers down but the event could be done in two days just like the team event. It may "hardly be the same" to you but the top teams in the world make a lot of sacrifices to skate synchro and work really hard on and off the ice and as a fan of figure skating I like to watch ALL the disciplines of figure skating.
    I actually agree that synchro should be an Olympic event. I just don't see team and synchro as 1. mutually exclusive or 2. particularly similar. So as far as i'm concerned, having a (well thought out) team event and a synchro event would be ideal. Obviously the IOC/ISU aren't interested in bringing in more skaters, though

vCash
    The level of rhe syncro teams is very diverse. There are only four countries (USA, Canada, Sweden,Finland) who always win medals in turns. The rest of the teams are very far behind.

vCash
    All of you that keep saying how terrible this event is, you need to watch clips from last year to see all the sad unhappy faces on the skaters. They all look misserable being there! Really, it is and should be ok for skaters to just enjoy an event. Have any of you trained on the ice 6 days a week 4+ hours a day? Lighten up and just enjoy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    ...There are only four countries (USA, Canada, Sweden,Finland) who always win medals in turns. The rest of the teams are very far behind.
    Perhaps that is part of the reason why Synchronized Skating has not been an Olympic event. After Vancouver, women's hockey was given an ultimatum by the IOC...if after 8 years, the various teams do not show signs of becoming more equal, the event would be removed from the Olympics. Currently Canada and the US battle for Gold and Silver, while Finland and Sweden fight over the Bronze. The other teams are nowhere near the podium. The Canadian and US team typically defeat them by double digit scores.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Perhaps that is part of the reason why Synchronized Skating has not been an Olympic event. After Vancouver, women's hockey was given an ultimatum by the IOC...if after 8 years, the various teams do not show signs of becoming more equal, the event would be removed from the Olympics. Currently Canada and the US battle for Gold and Silver, while Finland and Sweden fight over the Bronze. The other teams are never on the podium. The Canadian and US team typically defeat them by double digit scores.
    It's actually quite funny that those same four countries are also ruling the women's hockey, too

vCash
    The level of rhe syncro teams is very diverse. There are only four countries (USA, Canada, Sweden,Finland) who always win medals in turns. The rest of the teams are very far behind.
    It seems like a very similar statement could be made for pairs and ice dance. Have you seen the Olympic medal records? Not a lot of diversity there. Though perhaps the rest of the teams are a little closer.

I think it will be hard for smaller countries without the synchro heritage to field teams- it is hard enough for them to find two people to put together pairs/dance teams, much less a whole gaggle.

Still, I'd much rather see synchro in the Olympics than the team event. I like WTT because it is a fluff event that seems fun for the skaters, and it is far enough away from Worlds that I'm eager to see the programs again. But the team event is going to be the exact same programs skaters will do in a day or two. To me, that adds no excitement at all. I tolerate it a bit more in gymnastics because their routines are so much shorter (though skaters worried about giving their all and then messing up their individual medal chance might want to chat with McKayla Moroney...). I just don't have the attention span to sit through the same long programs twice in a matter of a few days.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I suspect most of the lower-ranked skaters are thrilled to be there and will give the fans their money's worth.
    I think that will be true for couples like Chock/Bates and Carron/Jones who should still be in shape from Worlds, but I don't know about teams like Monko/Khaliavin, who didn't compete in anything major since Russian nationals in December. I don't know how hard they continued to train their programs (being alternates) but it seems to me they might have moved on to their next year's material by now and if they have to dust off this year's programs it won't be all that pretty. It's not like they would have been expecting to go to WTT, considering they were 4th and there's only 1 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Still, I'd much rather see synchro in the Olympics than the team event. I like WTT because it is a fluff event that seems fun for the skaters, and it is far enough away from Worlds that I'm eager to see the programs again. But the team event is going to be the exact same programs skaters will do in a day or two. To me, that adds no excitement at all. I tolerate it a bit more in gymnastics because their routines are so much shorter (though skaters worried about giving their all and then messing up their individual medal chance might want to chat with McKayla Moroney...). I just don't have the attention span to sit through the same long programs twice in a matter of a few days.
    I would rather see synchro too (I know it's not mutually exclusive, but I doubt we'd get that and a team event).

Actually, I'd rather see the CDs come back.

Gymnastics is a little different because the events are short and they can have multiple things going on at once. Go right from this person's vault to that one's bars. There's more action.

I really really think it was a mistake putting it at the beginning. Having the team event at the end would give the skaters a chance to seek redemption if they didn't win an individual medal.

Also, NBC is right, the ladies is the marquee event of the Olympics (Lord knows why...). A lot of people do not watch until the ladies. If skating wins any new fans during the ladies event, they would want to tune in for the team portion, where they can be introduced to pairs and dance especially. The way it's set up, the team event won't get much attention nor bring in many new fans, I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Also, NBC is right, the ladies is the marquee event of the Olympics (Lord knows why...). A lot of people do not watch until the ladies. If skating wins any new fans during the ladies event, they would want to tune in for the team portion, where they can be introduced to pairs and dance especially. The way it's set up, the team event won't get much attention nor bring in many new fans, I think.
    Brilliant observation. They could have the team event take the place of the gala in the broadcast schedule. They should still have the gala, of course, but broadcasting it during the Games seems a little rude to athletes still competing, plus they break it up which doesn't work for skating fans either. I've always wondered why they don't air the gala the weekend after the closing ceremonies.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Why don't they hold it during Worlds......is that the plan going forward after the Olympics?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Men's curling was a lot like women's hockey and synchro for a long time, but the field has tightened considerably, and Canada wasn't even a favorite going into the current Men's World Championships. They are currently seeded fourth, and have to make it out of the Page playoff game [against Denmark] and the semi-final [against Scotland] to have a shot at gold or silver. Norway, which was favored to vie for the championship, didn't make it to the playoffs. I can't imagine women's hockey making those kind of strides within two Olympic cycles, even if many of the top players from Scandinavia play in US colleges and universities.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Back at WTT 2013
    Besides the ISU channel
    any tv is airing it ???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    It's not going to happen. Even with 6-8 teams, it's a huge amount of athletes. Furthermore, as has been pointed out, there is only a handful of countries which are really competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by tut88 View Post
    Back at WTT 2013
    Besides the ISU channel
    any tv is airing it ???
    Not outside of Korea and Japan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's not going to happen. Even with 6-8 teams, it's a huge amount of athletes. Furthermore, as has been pointed out, there is only a handful of countries which are really competitive.
    I know it's not going to happen...

vCash
    Well, I'd argue that Russia is not very far behind. Team Paradise was very close to a medal this year, and last yar won the SP. In both years, I believe they would have medalled, if they had not had problems with the FS.

US in third: 202.53, Russia in fifth: 197.31

However, after Russia, the next team is Germany with 153.65 in tenth, and that is a long way down. However, I liked the German team, particularly in the SP.

Another thing tht synchro has to recommend it, despite the disparity in skills, the only continent not represented at Worlds was South America.

1 Team Finland 1 FIN 208.77 4 1
    2 Team Canada 1 CAN 208.25 1 2
    3 Team United States of America 1 USA 202.53 2 4
    4 Team Finland 2 FIN 201.00 5 3
    5 Team Russia 1 RUS 197.31 3 6
    6 Team Canada 2 CAN 191.42 7 5
    7 Team Sweden 1 SWE 185.82 6 7
    8 Team United States of America 2 USA 172.01 10 8
    9 Team Sweden 2 SWE 167.48 8 9
    10 Team Germany GER 153.65 9 12
    11 Team Russia 2 RUS 152.88 12 10
    12 Team Italy ITA 150.16 11 11
    13 Team France FRA 124.92 13 14
    14 Team Japan JPN 120.17 14 13
    15 Team Czech Republic CZE 112.04 15 15
    16 Team Australia AUS 90.15 16 16
    17 Team Croatia CRO 79.37 17 18
    18 Team Hungary HUN 76.78 19 17
    19 Team Mexico MEX 73.42 18 19
    20 Team South Africa RSA 61.62 20 20

I'd like both WTT and synchro in the Olympics

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I'd love to see Synchro in the Olympics, but although most continents are represented, there would be only two, NA and Europe, were each country limited to one with a field of 6 or 8 teams. Japan would make a field of 10, which would add in Asia.

The WTT model isn't being used exactly in the Olympics. Differences are:

*The participants must be from the individual disciplines, unless no one qualified.
    *There are TES minimums, different for the appointed skaters than ones who will skate individual disciplines.
    *Ten team get to skate the SP/SD, and then half will be eliminated; WTT starts and ends with six.
    *Only one from each discipline skates each phase and earns points, vs. two in singles for WTT.
    *A team can have one, two, or no different skaters or teams skate the SP/FS, if they've qualified more than one skater/team in the individual disciplines. This isn't limited to singles, and there could be up to ten medalists per team, if the team chooses one pair and one dance team for the SP/SD and another for the FS/FD.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast