Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

vCash
    Wow! A stupid event! A chance for skaters to make Very good money, get out in front of top ISU judges in a fun and electric atmosphere, feel the spport of a team... and so much more. It is a great opportunity to those that choose to enjoy it that way! They should have a missfit team for those countries with just one good skater! How fun would it be to see Denis Ten,
    Yu Na Kim, ... On a team together!

Blergh
    vCash
    It would be cool to have a mixed team, but I'd have the feeling that the mixed team would have stronger skaters overall.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    No.
    A healthy Lysacek landing jumps wouldn't have gotten PCS to beat Ross Miner? Surely you jest.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    The French Fed sent out a press release announcing their team and according to this, Nathalie Pechalat/Fabian Bourzat are not coming (no reason given). Pernelle Carron/Lloyd Jones are listed instead.
    Also, Romain Ponsart replaces Florent Amodio.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    So basically most skaters could not care less about this event and choose to focus on working in preparation of the Olympic season instead.
    The timing of it is tough... Maybe some skaters have been working through injuries up until Worlds and now need time to recuperate instead of push hard for an extra 3 or 4 weeks... It would probably be better if WTT was held in conjunction with actual Worlds (like how it will be during the Olympics). If it was held, say, 2 days after Worlds concludes, I think more skaters might be able to do it. (It would be tiring, but I think the skaters would get used to the schedule over time.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    The timing of it is tough... Maybe some skaters have been working through injuries up until Worlds and now need time to recuperate instead of push hard for an extra 3 or 4 weeks... It would probably be better if WTT was held in conjunction with actual Worlds (like how it will be during the Olympics). If it was held, say, 2 days after Worlds concludes, I think more skaters might be able to do it. (It would be tiring, but I think the skaters would get used to the schedule over time.)
    It is actually not a bad idea, but it gets the costs higher and you might have a problem with the spectators. Not everybody will be able to stay for both Worlds and WTT and the locals will have enough if there are ten days of competition.
    Other sports do it, though. Judo holds their team event at Europeans the day after the indivual events, but it is only one day for the team event.

I think this year the fact that we have the Olympic season coming up is hurting the team event a lot. A lot of the top skaters want to take a break now (or do some shows and then have their break) and start their preparation early for the Olympic year. The WTT doesn't really fit into their schedule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    (or do some shows and then have their break)
    I thought if they declined WTT they couldn't do shows?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I thought if they declined WTT they couldn't do shows?
    Correct, but IIRC in a certain frame of time during and around WTT. So if someone did shows right after Worlds they might be ok. I need to look at the announcement to be sure, though. I guess the biggest issue for skaters it that they would need to keep training for WTT and can't really have a longer break.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    No, it's the first event. You can read more about it in this interview with David Dore.
    Thanks for this. Originally (when news of this came out), it was to have taken place near the end, a day before the closing cerems. Now this is ridiculous. With their big competitions upcoming, why would the skaters care about this? If anything, this new fluff will now take away from their concentration on the four classic events....a CHEESY ADVERTISING for the Main Courses. A real cheapening of the real events.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Blergh
    vCash
    Maybe the ISU wants this to evolve to become THE premier event of figure skating. People like rooting for teams based on nationality in other sports, and maybe the ISU is trying to sell figure skating as such now.

I still think the structure of mixed-disciplines is a bit strange, but hey, what do I know?

BTW, with the schedule the way it is, which discipline do you think will be effected the most? The first two (pairs and men) or the latter two who compete on the second week of the Olympics (ice dance and ladies)?

I wonder if this will create even more debate about who would have won what if they didn't have to compete two weeks earlier for the ice dancers/ladies (or compete at peak performance with little opportunities to recharge in-between for the pairs/men) and mess up their practice schedule, endurance, etc.

vCash
    I’d prefer that as well. It does not make sense to introduce a World team Trophy and bring this type of competition to Olympics when in non-olympic years it’s only kind of 2nd class event due to the amount of withdrawals by skaters.

It is actually not a bad idea, but it gets the costs higher and you might have a problem with the spectators. Not everybody will be able to stay for both Worlds and WTT and the locals will have enough if there are ten days of competition.
    But for spectators it might be even more costly to attend two separate events (double cost of travelling). And those locals who are annoyed with a competition lasting for ten days instead of seven days probably would also be annoyed in case the event lasted only for two days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    I’d prefer that as well. It does not make sense to introduce a World team Trophy and bring this type of competition to Olympics when in non-olympic years it’s only kind of 2nd class event due to the amount of withdrawals by skaters.
    In the two previous editions, the attendance of top skaters was better. Almost everybody was there. As I said above, I think this time it is really the upcoming Olympic season that hurt the event.

Quote Originally Posted by Katarzyna View Post
    But for spectators it might be even more costly to attend two separate events (double cost of travelling). And those locals who are annoyed with a competition lasting for ten days instead of seven days probably would also be annoyed in case the event lasted only for two days.
    Also true. About the locals I just thought it would be more difficult to attract local spectators to all events as they probably would not watch so much figure skating (unless, hopefully, they got really hooked). :-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    No. The Team Event will begin on Day -1 (as in, the day before the opening ceremony - the first time in Winter Olympic history that competition has begun before Day 1).
    I'm almost positive hockey games have started prior to the opening ceremonies. Maybe it's the first time figure skating has been early. This would mean skaters would have to get there good and early and get acclimatized.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    I'm almost positive hockey games have started prior to the opening ceremonies. Maybe it's the first time figure skating has been early. This would mean skaters would have to get there good and early and get acclimatized.
    Yep. As far back as 1976, Innsbruck, Hockey started 2 days before the Opening Ceremonies. If anyone is interested http://www.marcolympics.org/ is a fabulous site for Olympic information.

vCash
    On the other hand, skaters who win a team medal might feel the pressure lifted and skate better as a result in their individual competition... Or they may skate poorly in the team event and step it up the second time through...

vCash
    The French Fed sent out a press release announcing their team and according to this, Nathalie Pechalat/Fabian Bourzat are not coming (no reason given). Pernelle Carron/Lloyd Jones are listed instead.
    Also, Romain Ponsart replaces Florent Amodio.
    Stick a fork in it!

The way it looks at the moment - with a lot of the 'big names' cancelling - the ISU might as well not hold the event at all. :/

But you are right that in previous years it was well attended and it's probably the combination of a lot of injuries taking place together with the Olympic season preparations.

Yes, that would make much more sense.

Blergh
    vCash
    Look on the bright side. At least the lesser-ranked skaters have a chance to get more exposure.

vCash
    Ugh. The dance event is going to be a snooze-fest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Look on the bright side. At least the lesser-ranked skaters have a chance to get more exposure.
    And we get to see them, which is definitely far more interesting than a rehash of the programs we've just watched at Worlds.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I suspect most of the lower-ranked skaters are thrilled to be there and will give the fans their money's worth.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast