Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    Don't they just need to keep them numbers even? Remove womens hockey, add womens sychro skating.
    They don't have to do either of the options... Even now after so called equality drive, women's events are less than men's events in number.... Men have more events in Ski Jumping (now 3 - 1 in terms of event), luge (men have doubles event) and Bobsleigh (men have 4-men event, so events to one in favour of men). IOC still hash't allowed women to compete in Nordic Combined events so whole sport is only for men.

Even in wrestling men had 14 events as opposed to 4 events for the women (at worlds women have 7 events), so they can eliminate ice hockey women's event if they chose to. However, I am sure North American media will have a field day with this, if IOC decides to do this move.
    Last edited by Domshabfan; 04-10-2013 at 08:19 AM.

vCash
    I think the IOC would have even preferred a situation of 1 dominant country but at least different countries making the gold medal game vs. the situation where it's the same 2 countries making the gold medal game. Women's soccer debuted in 1996 (around the same time that women's hockey debuted) and while the US have won 4 of the 5 gold medals thus far, 3 other countries have at been able to make the gold medal game (Norway with gold in 2000, Brazil, and Japan).

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    Don't they just need to keep them numbers even? Remove womens hockey, add womens sychro skating.
    That would be sweet, were women's hockey to not make enough headway.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    I think the IOC would have even preferred a situation of 1 dominant country but at least different countries making the gold medal game vs. the situation where it's the same 2 countries making the gold medal game. Women's soccer debuted in 1996 (around the same time that women's hockey debuted) and while the US have won 4 of the 5 gold medals thus far, 3 other countries have at been able to make the gold medal game (Norway with gold in 2000, Brazil, and Japan).
    I think they also look at other competitions. The US hasn't dominated the World Cup as much whereas the US-Canada domination in Womens hockey extends to every tourney they are in.

vCash
    There is an exhibition tournament in New York being put on by the teams from Russia, Iran, and USA. It is sold out and the participants hope it will put pressure the IOC to keep wrestling in the Olympic Games.
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/in-rare...york-1.1280490

vCash
    Shortlisted for inclusion in the 2020 Olympics (1 spot available):

Wrestling
    Softball/Baseball
    Squash

Eliminated for inclusion in the 2020 Olympics:

Wakeboarding
    Wushu
    Karate
    Roller sports
    Climbing sports

vCash
    So wrestling still has a shot?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    So wrestling still has a shot?!
    Yes it does! Ridiculous that the IOC Executive Committee recommended it for expulsion in the first place . Insulting that wrestling had make a presentation to the Executive Committee on why it's more worthy of the Olympics than wakeboarding.

Now that the vote goes to the ultra-political full IOC instead of the ultra-political and ultra-out-of-touch Executive Committee, it has a good shot. Probably the best shot among the three finalist sports.

Why? Not because wrestling has been around since the ancient Olympics. Not because it is one of the most fundamental sports; all you need are two people--or one person and a large dog--and a piece of ground. Not because it had more countries win medals at the last Olympics than any sport except track and field, which has many more events.

Wrestling has one weapon far more powerful than history, universality, and the spirit of the Olympics: It has Putin.

vCash
    I know that stranger things have happened but it would be completely ridiculous to see Wrestling lose to Softball/Baseball (played in relatively few countries around the world) or Squash ().

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I know that stranger things have happened but it would be completely ridiculous to see Wrestling lose to Softball/Baseball (played in relatively few countries around the world) or Squash ().
    It has already lost to golf. In the same meeting that they recommended wrestling's expulsion, they deemed golf a "core sport"

If you can ignore the self-promotion, this is an excellent article. Never thought I'd say that about the writer.

vCash
    Baseball is played in quite a few countries, actually - my favorite team currently has players from Mexico, Curacao, Venezuela and Colombia, and MLB (and of course minor league teams) have a lot of players from various Caribbean and Central American countries (e.g. Venezuela and the Dominican Republic), as well as from Japan, S. Korea, Australia, Canada and even a few Europeans. The fifteen baseball medals in the years in which it was included in the Olympics went to six different countries, which indicates more balance than some Olympic sports. It is true that none of the medals have gone to European or African countries, however, and I imagine that because the Olympics take place during baseball season, it's difficult to draw top talent to the Games (this probably why Cuba, which has many good player not in professional baseball, has had the most success). Baseball is very popular in some countries that are not really Olympic powerhouses, certainly not in other team sports.

I'm not sure about the popularity of softball, but I don't think either wrestling or baseball/softball should have been eliminated to begin with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    It has already lost to golf. In the same meeting that they recommended wrestling's expulsion, they deemed golf a "core sport"
    Translation:

vCash
    Translation:
    It's true that golf is expected to attract sponsors and a wealthy audience. It's also true that wrestling is most popular in poorer countries.

But wrestling costs little to host. You don't have to build a golf course, a swimming pool, a cycling track, or a track and filed stadium. Albeit, some of these may already exist and not have to be built. You don't need to set up gymnastics equipment. You don't need to transport and quarantine horses.

With wrestling, you just need to lay down a mat. It can share a venue with so many other sports. That's why wrestling is one of the few sports in which athletes from poorer countries have a real shot of doing well.

The 72 medals awarded at London went to 29 countries . Contrast that to swimming in which the 102 medals went to only 19 countries.

A little trivia: If wrestling is gone from the Olympics, the Olympic hymn will have to be re-written because there is a line, "At running and at wrestling and at throwing...."
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 05-31-2013 at 02:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post

A little trivia: If wrestling is gone from the Olympics, the Olympic hymn will have to be re-written because there is a line, "At running and at wrestling and at throwing...."
    Non of the executive members probably have ever heard the hymn, that should explain their vote. As for Squash, it is actually a global sport : This is the promotion video, as the video says Squash has had world champions from all 5 continents. I like playing squash, so I would have loved to see both Squash and Wrestling included at the games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    As for Squash, it is actually a global sport : This is the promotion video, as the video says Squash has had world champions from all 5 continents. I like playing squash, so I would have loved to see both Squash and Wrestling included at the games.
    Squash is already featured at other multi-sport events such as the Commonwealth Games, the Pan-American Games and the Asian Games, so it's been building its case for a while now, missing out in 2012 and 2016.

vCash
    I can't believe that any of the above mentioned wrestling, baseball, even squash has to fit for their Olympic lives while golf is in! And I doubt I ever will.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    I would personally be very sad if they remove equestrian, as I am a rider myself, but on the other hand, it is an extremely elitist sport
    The list of IOC members is astounding in its number of royalty and aristocracy. Equestrian isn't going anywhere.

For the record, although I think equestrian and shooting are in terms of sportsness, I do think some form of equestrian and shooting are justified for inclusion due to history, especially equestrian.

Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    It is, however, an excellent para Olympic sport, and that might be why it is pretty safe. Is wrestling possible at the para Olympics?
    Very much so! A recent NCAA champion is one-legged. Although the overall effect of having one leg is negative with wrestling, having one leg did provide an advantage in that his opponents didn't know what to do because they'd go to grab his leg, and it wasn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    Two people have now called golf an "elitist" sport. It is not elitist. Expensive, yes, but it is accessible to anyone who wants to play it - and there are often programs for kids who families cannot afford the equipment to be able to play anyway. My son will be playing golf in college, and I can assure you (being a skater myself) that it has cost me far less to prepare for him to play golf at the college level than it would have cost me to prepare a figure skater to skate at, say, a regional level. I would argue that figure skating is far more elitist than golf, being more expensive and less accessible to lower income people and the general masses.
    This gives me some insight into how the IOC Executive Board members think--they are out of touch with the majority of the world's people.

As you describe, golf is like most if not all winter sports: With a few exceptions, it is accessible only to children who live in certain countries and have families who are at least middle class.

Wrestling is one of a small handful of sports accessible to a poor kid in Azerbaijan as much as a middle class kid in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    Someone upthread said that golf damages the environment, and this is not completely true. Yes, they use pesticides etc, but they also often participate in environmental programs and take pride in being good environmental stewards.
    This quote is saddening because it suggests that the golfing community is in denial. As if these environmental incentives can compensate in any meaningful amount to the environmental damage from building and maintaining golf courses. It's like Philip Morris' anti teen smoking or Walmart's fair labor initiatives.

I do believe, however, that the golfing community's initiatives are more genuinely motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Getting more people to watch it would be a start. Amazing the amount of people who have posted their outrage here and elsewhere starting with "I don't watch it all, but...."
    I remember watching Kurt Angle back in 1996 and enjoying it very much. Unfortunately, these days US networks spend hours on beach volleyball while ignoring wrestling and many other sports . In terms of viewing enjoyment, I find beach volleyball roughly equal to wrestling.

Ironically, Jordan Burroughs gets more lovin' in Iran. Was his gold medal even mentioned during NBC's prime time coverage?

While wrestling is not as popular in the US and Europe compared to some other sports, it still is more popular than, say, modern pentathlon. And in many parts of the world, wrestling is one of the most popular sports. These countries are numerous in people but not in money, and the Olympics are increasingly about money money money

It saddens me to know that children in these countries may no longer have dreams of the Olympics and the motivation to get there. US wrestlers will lose scholarships as wrestling programs are faded out.

Whatever you think of wrestling, you can't deny that the presence of wrestling in the Olympics provides precious opportunities to people from countries and communities in which opportunities are scarce.
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 06-04-2013 at 12:11 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    One example of golf and the environment: the last fews times I was in Hyderabad (India), which has an arid climate, developers were building a private golf course in the middle of Hitec City. This in a city that was growing rapidly and was in the middle of a water shortage and was facing a water crisis, but the priority was to use precious water for a golf course that catered to the area's elite, many of whom worked or attended the business school -- India's equivalent of Harvard + Chicago + Stanford -- or worked for multinationals like Microsoft which were located in the complex.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Wrestling is one of the original olympic events; It should be a must have event.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    This article sums up my feelings on golf in the olympics quite nicely.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympic...201325406.html

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast