Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Josh was my favorite BIS.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Swagger is competing in Denver this weekend.
    Never mess with a geocacher. We know the best places to hide a body....

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    @ the hostility towards small dogs.
    IME, many toy dogs tend to be either hyper, extremely timid (shaking) or downright mean. I don't hate them (my post above was more in jest than in hostility) - I just personally don't have much use for them, and would never own one. I know their owners love them (including our illustrious webmistress) - more power to them!

Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    The judge (in theory, at least) is not comparing one breed to another. He is comparing each individual dog to the ideal standard of its breed, looking for the BIS, the dog that best exemplifies the standard of its breed.
    Don't bring logic and rules into this conversation!

I think in a lot of ways, watching a dog show is like an uniformed person watching figure skating. We know what we like, we can clearly see which one is the best (according to our own tastes and biases), and since we don't understand the rules or the judging, we wuzrob. Human nature.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    IME, many toy dogs tend to be either hyper, extremely timid (shaking) or downright mean.
    I've met big dogs who fit each of those descriptions as well.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    Swagger is competing in Denver this weekend.
    Swagger wuz robbed!! Yeah yeah I know, the affenpinscher was the affenpinscherest affenpischer. Still.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 02-16-2013 at 01:19 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I've met big dogs who fit each of those descriptions as well.
    Yeah. On my visit to Doggy Jail yesterday, while yes, the Boston was hyper I couldn't blame him (he was a dead-owner surrender so I'm sure he was horribly confused-still not the dog for me) but he ones who gave me bad vibes were a medium-size collie/something mix (too quiet in the wrong way, and just something...off about the body language-he might have been sweet, but ) and a VERY nasty oversize...either a GSD or a Malinois, in either case over breed standard for height and way too aggressive. I feel guilty about walking off without a dog, but none of them spoke to me. Or it would have been wrong--GORGEOUS and very sweet husky mix, but I have cats, and I have a Corgi so I already have more than enough dog hair, thank you. Treeing Walkers need way more 'outdoors' than I could give. And I cannot override my general dislike of chihuahuas plus I have a feeling the timid one would have been eaten by my cats. (As at this shelter dogs who make it to adoption row are there until adopted, I don't feel TOO bad about leaving without a dog.)

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    While I know how tough it was for you to leave w/out one, I also admire you for realizing none of those dogs were either right for you and the conditions at your home or you listened to that little voice that told you something is not right w/this animal somehow. There's too many stories out there about those dogs that did end up happening to and the sad endings to those stories.

So good to you for truly being a dog lover danceronice, because a true animal lover also knows when it's right to say "I'd love to, but I can't for the good of the animal."

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    While I know how tough it was for you to leave w/out one, I also admire you for realizing none of those dogs were either right for you and the conditions at your home or you listened to that little voice that told you something is not right w/this animal somehow. There's too many stories out there about those dogs that did end up happening to and the sad endings to those stories.

So good to you for truly being a dog lover danceronice, because a true animal lover also knows when it's right to say "I'd love to, but I can't for the good of the animal."
    Lol, thank you, at least someone on the intrawebs doesn't think I'm a complete heartless beyotch (I mean, I can be on line, but do not put puppies in front of me, just don't.) I may go troll the shelter the next county over, hit up a few more adoption events. I have in my head what I want, I just hope my poor Old Dog doesn't get too hideously depressed in the meantime (Corgi does no really play with him and he's so down now the foster's gone.) The cats on the other hand think I should put all dogs up on eBay.

I do hope someone goes and gets poor Mr. Wiggles, the Boston. I would go insane, and I really just don't like Bostons, but he does not deserve to be in Doggy Jail. He must be so confused.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Lol, thank you, at least someone on the intrawebs doesn't think I'm a complete heartless beyotch (I mean, I can be on line, but do not put puppies in front of me, just don't.) I may go troll the shelter the next county over, hit up a few more adoption events. I have in my head what I want, I just hope my poor Old Dog doesn't get too hideously depressed in the meantime (Corgi does no really play with him and he's so down now the foster's gone.) The cats on the other hand think I should put all dogs up on eBay.
    I too would find it hard to visit shelter dogs and not come home with one. But, it's best to wait for the dog that's right for you. Taking a 'maybe' dog home and then returning it to the shelter would create added stress for the dog.

vCash
    We really can't save everyone, can we? I would love to be able to have a few dogs but can't for a number of reasons. We have cats. Over the years, we have had 14 (not all at once! 6 was our max and we stopped doing that) and have loved them all. We had one cat who was completely unworkable.I had tried to help out a friend who owned a cat shelter by taking one who seemed rather disturbed ( the woman had an inoperable brain tumour and needed to simplify her life). I honestly thought I could turn this cat around and found otherwise. He attacked us, could not stay in the house, snuck into other people's houses yet cozied up to small children. Truly bizarre! I figured it was only a matter of time before someone got hurt so we had to get rid of him. The shelter person said he wouldn't even make it as a barn cat, he was so disturbed. My only cat failure! He must have had some brain damage as a kitten, sadly.

Some of our best cats have come from shelters. You definitelt have to get the right match. Luckily, the 3 I have now all adore each other.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I too would find it hard to visit shelter dogs and not come home with one. But, it's best to wait for the dog that's right for you. Taking a 'maybe' dog home and then returning it to the shelter would create added stress for the dog.
    ^^ This

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Or it would have been wrong--GORGEOUS and very sweet husky mix, but I have cats, and I have a Corgi so I already have more than enough dog hair, thank you. Treeing Walkers need way more 'outdoors' than I could give.
    Huskies also require a lot of time outdoors, and a lot of walking time as well. They're the biggest escape artists of pretty much any breed.

A good bet is to review available dogs at petfinder.org so that you have a specific dog to visit at a shelter.

vCash
    The group I got my Beast from, Doubledog Rescue in CT, has Adoption Events frequently in the Hartford/Avon area. They post the adoptables on their website and Facebook page so people can get an idea of the canines they currently have. Although I grew up with various purebreds, my last two have been Mixed Breeds (in my late lamented Muttley's case, very, very mixed) and I doubt if I'll ever go the show dog route again.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456