Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses
    well-received by who? white people?
    Yes, many white people enjoyed the program. But I was actually thinking of my Indian colleagues. None of who watch figure skating, but all who watched this program multiple times after I showed it to them. They all talked very highly and said they did not realize figure skating included Indian culture (I had to tell them it doesn't typically). I work in an industry with many from India (not US citizens) Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    and then people calling them those slurs started wearing the thing they made fun of as a fashion accessory/costume.
    I don't think Meryl and Charlie ever called any Indians by slurs. And, I very well may be wrong- but I don't think the US has a history of oppressing Indians (at least in the from India sense).

And now let's look at what you call the "white people" dances. If we can't have skaters who come from a culture that once called people from another culture slurs doing their ethnic dances- then I don't think any of the American skaters should be doing any sort of Irish, Italian, Polish, French, Russian, this list could go on for a long time, dances. So that eliminates most of the what I think you called the "white people dances". Maybe V/M and the other Canadian skaters can have more choices because Canadians were friendlier to immigrants, but I'm not familiar enough with their history.

no because its a western/european dance that has been normalized into western culture (and tessa and scott are of european descent right)
    How do you think something BECOMES normalized into western culture? So cultural appropriation is okay, as long as the normalization took place a long time ago? Also- not all Europeans are the same. So even if Tessa and Scott are of European descent, it doesn't make them Spanish (heck- they might be, I don't know.) Certainly seems like a double standard.

For the record, I enjoyed their flamenco just as much as D/W's Bollywood.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 02-27-2013 at 02:38 PM.

vCash
    Rainbow see article on Mychael Danna's wife and her designer in Toronto
    http://www.thestar.com/.../oscars_20...esigner_dinesh

I consider myself coloured being Indian but people in the US have a very different notion of us. I once had a long chat on a vacay with someone from the US who insisted that I was not coloured but caucazoid. Our race is the Indo Aryan race so not totally caucasian I think the reason why there is a different attitude to Indians in the US is that there is a huge population of indian doctors, engineers, scientists and professors and of course motel owners. On cruises people will inevitably ask my DH if he is a doctor ( which he is) just presuming that he is indian and educated so must be a doctor.

Anyway all this talk of white people dances (!!!) is really funny. Its true that there are very few indians who watch figure skating and DD often says we are recognizable in all skating shows as we are often the only Indians. I am confident that there will be another Indian at the worlds: Ravi Walia - Kaetlyn's coach.

Though I have been guilty of getting embroiled in the ethnic and cultural discussions more because they have amused me somewhat, let us get back to the matter at hand: VIRTUE&MOIR.

I am counting the days to seeing them. After a hotel setback all is resolved and I shall soon be on the road. Not going for practices just the competitions unfortunately.
    Last edited by Emdee; 02-27-2013 at 02:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Yes, white people. But I was actually thinking of my Indian colleagues. None of who watch figure skating, but all who watched this program multiple times after I showed it to them. They all talked very highly and said they did not realize figure skating included Indian culture (I had to tell them it doesn't typically). I work in an industry with many from India (not US citizens) Indians.

I don't think Meryl and Charlie ever called any Indians by slurs. And, I very well may be wrong- but I don't think the US has a history of oppressing Indians (at least in the from India sense).

And now let's look at what you call the "white people" dances. If we can't have skaters who come from a culture that once called people from another culture slurs doing their ethnic dances- then I don't think any of the American skaters should be doing any sort of Irish, Italian, Polish, French, Russian, this list could go on for a long time, dances. So that eliminates most of the what I think you called the "white people dances". Maybe V/M and the other Canadian skaters can have more choices because Canadians were friendlier to immigrants, but I'm not familiar enough with their history.

How do you think something BECOMES normalized into western culture? So cultural appropriation is okay, as long as the normalization took place a long time ago? Also- not all Europeans are the same. So even if Tessa and Scott are of European descent, it doesn't make them Spanish (heck- they might be, I don't know.) Certainly seems like a double standard.

You don't get this. Charlie White should only do white dance. His name not Charlie Indian

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iNap View Post
    You don't get this. Charlie White should only do white dance. His name not Charlie Indian
    Can't argue with that

That is why the dances V/M do are so innocent- they can only do dances of Virtue. Which means Carmen has got to go!
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 02-27-2013 at 02:44 PM.

vCash
    An interesting article on Bollywood style dance, cultural appropriation, and authenticity : http://sophia.smith.edu/blog/dancegl...ywood-dance-2/
    Last edited by sap5; 02-27-2013 at 03:15 PM.

vCash
    Bollywood OD's are so two thousand and ten...

Banned Member
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    vCash
    Yes, many white people enjoyed the program. But I was actually thinking of my Indian colleagues. None of who watch figure skating, but all who watched this program multiple times after I showed it to them. They all talked very highly and said they did not realize figure skating included Indian culture (I had to tell them it doesn't typically). I work in an industry with many from India (not US citizens) Indians.

"but I don't think the US has a history of oppressing Indians"
    thats a very naive thing to say
    lol im not saying that d/w called them slurs
    i was saying that historically(well some still do), white people (as an institution) used to call desi women a specific slur (which i dont want to say because i dont want to offend or trigger anyone) because of their bindis and now white people are wearing them as props/fashion accessories. so of course people are going to be offended.
    it all has to do with history
    and the flamenco dance and costume doesnt have the same history as desi costumes/bindi
    that was my point

and what i meant by normalized is that its like its a part of dance 'canon' (like the tango, which is an Argentinian dance and if you ever take dance lessons you always have to learn how to tango)
    also v/m werent the only ones doing flamenco (and compared to the other dancers their costumes were tastefully plain)

Quote Originally Posted by iNap View Post

Can't argue with that

That is why the dances V/M do are so innocent- they can only do dances of Virtue. Which means Carmen has got to go!
    its a shame though that people think that sexuality is not okay but cultural appropriation is

Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    Bollywood OD's are so two thousand and ten...
    tell that to alena leonova

vCash

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    I think at this point, everyone knows I am not a fan of D/W in the least. However, there was nothing offensive at all about their Bollywood OD in 2010.

vCash
    "but I don't think the US has a history of oppressing Indians"
    thats a very naive thing to say
    I'm sorry it is naive, but for me, it is true. I am unaware of Indians (from India) being heavily discriminated against in the United States. I am willing to learn more and expand my knowledge here, it is difficult to search for because Indian in most places refers to a Native American. I also have never heard the term 'desi' before, and do not know what group it refers to.

Can you point me, historically, to when to some instances of this? I know that, for example, the British Empire had major involvement in India- but I am honsetly not aware of American oppression of Indians, or of Indian immigrants (who unlike many European minorities are, to my knowledge, a more recent immigrant who is generally stereotyped to be intelligent). I learn something new everyday though, so I'd like to hear about the immigration acts we passed againt them (as we did with many European, also white, immigrants) or about civil rights issues caused by the discrimination, or something so I can learn more. Not all white people are the same white people, and it is just as ignorant to group them all as being the same.

its a shame though that people think that sexuality is not okay but cultural appropriation
    This was clearly a joke based on the last name. If her last name was Smith, I really wouldn't have had anything to go on.

also v/m werent the only ones doing flamenco
    So Bollywood would have been okay if more people were doing it? You seem a bit circuluar in your arguements.

Either way, I'm done with Bollywood postings- back to V/M.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 02-27-2013 at 06:23 PM.

vCash
    I know, i am bothering you all, but still cant understand, why you discusse D-W in V-M thread. Every time i open this thread i hope to find V-M news, but no - maybe D-W thread didnt have enough place

Banned Member
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    vCash
    I'm sorry it is naive, but for me, it is true. I am unaware of Indians being heavily discriminated against in the United States. I am happy to learn more and expand my knowledge here. I also have never heard the term 'desi' before, and do not know what group it refers to.

Can you point me, historically, to when to some instances of this? I know that, for example, the British Empire had major involvement in India- but I am honsetly not aware of American oppression of Indians, or of Indian immigrants (who unlike many European minorities are, to my knowledge, a more recent immigrant who is generally stereotyped to be intelligent). I learn something new everyday though, so I'd like to hear about the immigration acts we passed againt them (as we did with many European, also white, immigrants) or about civil rights issues caused by the discrimination, or something so I can learn more. Not all white people are the same white people, and it is just as ignorant to group them all as being the same.
    i know i was referring to white people as an institution
    and like oppression doesnt necessarily have to deal with immigration acts
    and i cant say specifically how desi people have been oppressed in the usa as im not from there
    all i can say is that my aunt is desi and i remember that when her mother got ill in the usa they treated her mother terribly (probably cause she didnt know a word of english)
    Last edited by rainbowkisses; 02-27-2013 at 06:57 PM.

vCash
    Oh my god can we move on from this. Rainbow I'm sorry that you or others you know might have been offended, I'm sure that wasn't their intentions. And anyways like somebody said above it was in 2010, I think it's time to move on.

I'm more interested in the politiks (why do you guys spell it like that BTW) discussion. I want to know who's doing the politicking against V/M. The obvious is the USFS, right? But who else?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    I know, i am bothering you all, but still cant understand, why you discusse D-W in V-M thread. Every time i open this thread i hope to find V-M news, but no - maybe D-W thread didnt have enough place
    Agree! Maybe Rainbows and Skittles can take their discussion to PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    Agree! Maybe Rainbows and Skittles can take their discussion to PM.
    Yes, please. Like Pani, I would prefer to talk about V/M and not about other teams and whether or not their skating to a certain type of music was PC or not.

Shayii -- I *think* it's another one of those misspellings from a certain poster many years ago? Then again, I could be wrong
    Last edited by professordeb; 02-27-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: to correct Shayii's name and try to answer a question.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    As pointed out in my last post, I'm already done with the disucssion.

Banned Member
    vCash
    perhaps i should move the convo over to gs jk

anyways was this posted? http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...#id=2338343839

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    Oh my god can we move on from this. Rainbow I'm sorry that you or others you know might have been offended, I'm sure that wasn't their intentions. And anyways like somebody said above it was in 2010, I think it's time to move on.

I'm more interested in the politiks (why do you guys spell it like that BTW) discussion. I want to know who's doing the politicking against V/M. The obvious is the USFS, right? But who else?
    This!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    I guess this is one way of reaching 1000 really fast ....

vCash
    perhaps i should move the convo over to gs jk

anyways was this posted? http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...#id=2338343839
    I didnt saw this yet. Thank you
    I remember, how Eric get this injury and how he did all elements and we saw she broke his nose only on big screen

Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast