Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 580 of 1001
  1. #561
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    Really? Is this why the Bollywood program got hundreds and thousands of youtube hits from India?

    Is this why I, a non-Indian, when attending a Hindu wedding, received a bindi from the bride's little nephew - as did all the other women guests, Hindu or not? Is this why for this Hindu wedding ceremony, the groom's side of the family that participated in the ceremony (the groom was not Hindu) wore appropriate Hindu wedding garb?

    And btw - this wasn't some ultra assimilated family. Everybody else in the family married inside the culture, and aspects of the wedding were supervised by the most respected female in the family who still resides in India. They encouraged our participation - wearing bindis, etc.

    The aboriginal program by the Russians got slammed because they insulted the culture. They made dumb a$$ cartoon facial expressions and basically their take on it was as if it was a minstral show. I think he even dragged her by her ponytail at one point. THAT's why it was insulting. An aboriginal inspired program has been done before with lot more authenticity and caused no uproar at all.
    it is possible that the us media were lying about all the hits from india

    anyways no matter how its done, cultural appropriation is still cultural appropriation
    just because they didnt stoop to the russian's level doesnt make them innocent and doesnt mean they should be let off the hook
    also the russians should NEVER had done an aboriginal program

    and i wouldnt consider getting costumes from a shop in the usa and wearing a fake bindi as "authentic"

    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    My Indian friend (who is part of the Christian minority, not Hindu) says that there are some religious reasons Hindus wear bindis, however, to many Indians they are merely decorative, and she and her family wear them as decoration signifigant to India. She says some Muslims wear them too, but they are technically not supposed to by standards of their religion.

    It was entirely appropriate for Meryl to be wearing one (though some Hindu may have taken offense?) and like others, while the aboriginal dance mocked the culture it portrayed, D/W celebrated the culture and it was well received.
    well-received by who? white people?
    theres always going to be people who are gonna be insulted by it
    especially since their culture has been exoticized and mocked in the west
    and now people are trying to copy their culture so of course they are going to be pissed and they have a right to be angry

    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    Ok so Dave and Jenny are the commentators that said Tessa and Scott stopped the program because they were afraid to lose? That is so dumb anyways cuz I'm sure Tessa and Scott didn't think stopping was some how going to help them win (look at Tessa in the KnC she couldn't look up to see the scores), can people please think.

    Rainbow you brought this up on FF and people explained then, so I don't know why you brought it up again. One of my best friends is Indian and she adores D/W.
    just because some desi/hindus arent offended by it doesnt mean their opinion represents eveyone who is desi
    i know some people who are desi and they found it revolting/embarassing
    and im bringing this up again because everytime someone mentions it, they always get shot-down/ignored

    and im just glad v/m are not like d/w
    Last edited by rainbowkisses; 02-27-2013 at 02:38 AM.

  2. #562

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,921
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    227
    Way OT, but...

    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    anyways no matter how its done, cultural appropriation is still cultural appropriation
    just because they didnt stoop to the russian's level doesnt make them innocent and doesnt mean they should be let off the hook
    also the russians should NEVER had done an aboriginal program
    I don't understand your argument. The OD requirements that year were to dance a folk dance. While choosing a dance from one's own country was preferred, it was not required. What are you arguing? That only Indian ice dancers may choose to skate to Indian-style dances? That if Americans dance to an Indian-style dance, they are only allowed to wear American clothes?

    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    and i wouldnt consider getting costumes from a shop in the usa and wearing a fake bindi as "authentic"
    Just curious -- if an Indian American buys Indian clothes in a shop in the USA, is that not authentic?

  3. #563
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Way OT, but...



    I don't understand your argument. The OD requirements that year were to dance a folk dance. While choosing a dance from one's own country was preferred, it was not required. What are you arguing? That only Indian ice dancers may choose to skate to Indian-style dances? That if Americans dance to an Indian-style dance, they are only allowed to wear American clothes?



    Just curious -- if an Indian American buys Indian clothes in a shop in the USA, is that not authentic?
    lol no
    it is best (and safe) though for white people to stick to white people dances because they can get into a lot of shit if they dont
    also its not as authentic as buying traditional indian clothes from india
    indian-american style is different than traditional indian style

  4. #564
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The airport
    Posts
    1,242
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'll say one thing about the Bollywood OD and then move on: I quite liked it.

    Right, so. What do you think they need to do to improve their levels? Especially the step sequences, which I think will be the key.

  5. #565

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,664
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    Tessa and Scott are so terrified of Meryl and Charlie. That's why they've never beaten them before. Poor Tessa and Scott, so scared and cowardly. Meryl and Charlie are King Kong, how can they not be afraid?
    (You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Golightly again.)

    Great post.

  6. #566

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,921
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    What do you think they need to do to improve their levels? Especially the step sequences, which I think will be the key.
    Do some better politiking.

  7. #567
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    I'll say one thing about the Bollywood OD and then move on: I quite liked it.

    Right, so. What do you think they need to do to improve their levels? Especially the step sequences, which I think will be the key.
    you can still be a fan of problematic things as long as you are aware that they're problematic. i just find it annoying when people try to excuse their behavior and pretend its not problematic and act as if making a bunch of off-the-cuff egotistical remarks is more insulting than that

  8. #568

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,853
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Do some better politiking.
    What do you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    you can still be a fan of problematic things as long as you are aware that they're problematic. i just find it annoying when people try to excuse their behavior and pretend its not problematic
    Lol I can't believe you're serious with this, I think you should let it go.

  9. #569
    Rooting for the Underdogs
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Politicking for P&B and V&M
    Posts
    1,630
    vCash
    887
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    What do you mean?
    That what they need to do to get better levels on their steps has nothing to do with what's happening on the ice with their actual skating.

  10. #570
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,485
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    lol no
    it is best (and safe) though for white people to stick to white people dances because they can get into a lot of shit if they dont
    also its not as authentic as buying traditional indian clothes from india
    indian-american style is different than traditional indian style
    I disagree some of us desis just find it convenient to buy our gagra cholis here....all imported from Bharat you know...so same style and way better designs. Don't know if you saw the Canadian Indian designed outfit on Oscar night. Very chic. Designed in Toronto.

  11. #571
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    What do you mean?

    Lol I can't believe you're serious with this, I think you should let it go.
    well it is a serious issue :/

    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    I disagree some of us desis just find it convenient to buy our gagra cholis here....all imported from Bharat you know...so same style and way better designs. Don't know if you saw the Canadian Indian designed outfit on Oscar night. Very chic. Designed in Toronto.
    no i havent
    also we dont really know if the store they went to sold imported dresses/fabric
    and i imagine it must be hard to create an authentic indian costume that is still a figure skating costume and that they probably had to use different types of fabrics so it could be easier for them to dance in

  12. #572

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,853
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    That what they need to do to get better levels on their steps has nothing to do with what's happening on the ice with their actual skating.
    This is a rather sad and depressing thought.

    Emdee, can you post a picture of your banner?

    Rainbow, what about Tessa and Scott's Flamenco program; wouldn't that be Spanish culture appropriation too?

  13. #573
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    822
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    This is a rather sad and depressing thought.
    Maybe but it's likely all too true. I don't get their scores this season. Or maybe it's D/W scores I don't get. Not criticizing but how exactly are they that much better? I think it's a fair question and I wish I could ask it without being ridiculed or called a hater but I doubt I can (and for the millionth time I do like and respect D/W). Still I'd like someone to give me a valid explanation. I think if we're honest with ourselves there isn't one except what's happening off the ice.
    Last edited by sequins; 02-27-2013 at 05:03 AM.

  14. #574
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,449
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ...
    Last edited by iggie; 02-28-2013 at 03:43 AM.

  15. #575
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    This is a rather sad and depressing thought.

    Emdee, can you post a picture of your banner?

    Rainbow, what about Tessa and Scott's Flamenco program; wouldn't that be Spanish culture appropriation too?
    no because its a western/european dance that has been normalized into western culture (and tessa and scott are of european descent right)
    also we live in a world that thinks white culture/western culture is more important than other cultures/the east and this is why (for ex) an asian ice dance couple doing a cowboy dance or whatever is different than a white ice dance couple doing an indian dance or an aboriginal dance
    also the west has a history in attempting to assimilate/westernize the east

    anyways its not like spainards were called ethnic slurs because of something they wore thats part of their religion or culture and then people calling them those slurs started wearing the thing they made fun of as a fashion accessory/costume.
    Last edited by rainbowkisses; 02-27-2013 at 05:16 AM.

  16. #576

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,566
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    Right, so. What do you think they need to do to improve their levels? Especially the step sequences, which I think will be the key.
    Tessa and Scott got level 4 for SS in SD and it was victory for them
    In FD they never get it, even at Nationals But did they last season before WCh? When i saw T-S first SS in FD in Nice my first thought was - this must be level 4
    I think fans could understand only spins, lifts, twozzles levels, if we will learn all rules, but couldnt do the same with steps and key points in pattern dance. At least from the first view.
    Its one wrong edge could made the differens in levels, one wrong leg move. Maybe thats why tech specialists must to pass exams.
    In all this i see 1 big problem. Most of the skaters could show inside and outside edges, to made turns. But the difference is in quality of this elements. So any skater could get level 4, but couldnt get +3 GOE. But will this difference be huge enogh to encourage skaters with better elements quality? I am not sure, because skater X could get level 4 and 0.5 + GOE and skaters Y level 3 and +1.5 GOE, when difference between level 3 and level 4 could be 1.5 points. So Anna Capelinni with her not such deep adges could beat Tessa in technick mark.
    So i think ISU need to work on levels more. How all skaters could do level 4 elements? This must be something anly best in the World could achive.
    My next point. OK, skaters show deep edges, but didnt show good lines, when they try to show it, didnt show finishe moves. In reallity the difference between them and skaters who show good lines - nothing, because only deep edges is count. Is this fair?
    I know, when Patrcick Chan (for example) will retier other cnampions will come. But now nobody show his skating quality, so why judges need to made impression other is so close to him in there marks?
    I am not sure i expressed my point right, sorry.

    As for WCh. I think a lot will depend from who will be in technical pannel. My thoughts about this. Ms. Marie BOWNESS was at GPF, Mr. Shae ZUKIWSKY at ECh, Mr. Andrzej DOSTATNI at 4CC, Mr. Rock LEMAY at JWCh. So asll canadian tech specialists worked already at most important competitions of the season + Dostatni.
    Ms. Halina GORDON POLTORAK worked at ECh, Ms. Alla SHEKHOVTSEVA will work at JWCh, Ms. Marika HUMPHREYS-BARANOVA - JWCh, Mr. Gilles VANDENBROECK - 4CC.
    So i think at WCh in tech pannel could be - Sergey Ponomarenko, Cristin Hurt (France) and Jude Blumberg. I could be wrong But in this case Canada not only will be without canadian judge, but without canadaian in tech pannel.

  17. #577
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,485
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post

    Emdee, can you post a picture of your banner?

    ?
    I confess I don't know how I am technologically challenged.

    When my DD is back from vacay I will ask her to post it on my website and give you the address.

  18. #578
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    184
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    lol no
    it is best (and safe) though for white people to stick to white people dances because they can get into a lot of shit if they dont
    also its not as authentic as buying traditional indian clothes from india
    indian-american style is different than traditional indian style
    V-M could do any culture dance because they V-M. All culture know who V-M is. D-W should be allow only white dance shibutanis only Japanase dances they have japanese certificate so it will be easy to proove if anyone ask them why they do this. I think Igor have problems with Chock bates. Maybe they can do half white dance or Chock carry certificates that she is all white now. Bourzat doing egypt dances is also not good for cultures. He look egyptian a lot off days but he have no certificat.

    How can V-M be good at everythings and not politiking? They win WCh last year and 2010 and they win OG. They also compete less than D-W so look at percentage for both team and they have better success rates than D-W. I think everyone agree D-W win event that do not matter

  19. #579
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    184
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    As for WCh. I think a lot will depend from who will be in technical pannel. My thoughts about this. Ms. Marie BOWNESS was at GPF, Mr. Shae ZUKIWSKY at ECh, Mr. Andrzej DOSTATNI at 4CC, Mr. Rock LEMAY at JWCh. So asll canadian tech specialists worked already at most important competitions of the season + Dostatni.
    Ms. Halina GORDON POLTORAK worked at ECh, Ms. Alla SHEKHOVTSEVA will work at JWCh, Ms. Marika HUMPHREYS-BARANOVA - JWCh, Mr. Gilles VANDENBROECK - 4CC.
    So i think at WCh in tech pannel could be - Sergey Ponomarenko, Cristin Hurt (France) and Jude Blumberg. I could be wrong But in this case Canada not only will be without canadian judge, but without canadaian in tech pannel.
    You are saying V-M can only have good results with Canadina judge or technical panel and that is not called politiking .

  20. #580

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,566
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by iNap View Post
    You are saying V-M can only have good results with Canadina judge or technical panel and that is not called politiking .
    Where i said this? I was talking about who could be in tech pannel at WCh

Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •