Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    vCash
    that is more or lesss cultural appropriation though (or misappropriation) also meryl was wearing the bindi which is a religious symbol and can be insulting to hindus
    Really? Is this why the Bollywood program got hundreds and thousands of youtube hits from India?

Is this why I, a non-Indian, when attending a Hindu wedding, received a bindi from the bride's little nephew - as did all the other women guests, Hindu or not? Is this why for this Hindu wedding ceremony, the groom's side of the family that participated in the ceremony (the groom was not Hindu) wore appropriate Hindu wedding garb?

And btw - this wasn't some ultra assimilated family. Everybody else in the family married inside the culture, and aspects of the wedding were supervised by the most respected female in the family who still resides in India. They encouraged our participation - wearing bindis, etc.

The aboriginal program by the Russians got slammed because they insulted the culture. They made dumb a$$ cartoon facial expressions and basically their take on it was as if it was a minstral show. I think he even dragged her by her ponytail at one point. THAT's why it was insulting. An aboriginal inspired program has been done before with lot more authenticity and caused no uproar at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    that is more or lesss cultural appropriation though (or misappropriation) also meryl was wearing the bindi which is a religious symbol and can be insulting to hindus
    My Indian friend (who is part of the Christian minority, not Hindu) says that there are some religious reasons Hindus wear bindis, however, to many Indians they are merely decorative, and she and her family wear them as decoration signifigant to India. She says some Muslims wear them too, but they are technically not supposed to by standards of their religion.

It was entirely appropriate for Meryl to be wearing one (though some Hindu may have taken offense?) and like others, while the aboriginal dance mocked the culture it portrayed, D/W celebrated the culture and it was well received.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 02-26-2013 at 06:11 PM.

vCash
    Just to throw another Carmen out there - Diana Vishneva posted a clip of her and Manuel Legris to the score.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...52826048061382

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whoa View Post
    Just to throw another Carmen out there - Diana Vishneva posted a clip of her and Manuel Legris to the score.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...52826048061382
    Thanks. Seems that it's the same clip that was available (in a slightly better quality) on Youtube already before - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtN-UgRHJO4. It's quite great, though - Vishneva is a very sensual Carmen.
    Last edited by lauravvv; 02-26-2013 at 07:23 PM.

vCash
    of course the point is not what this David guy says, but the fact that his blog is quite followed so we got the impression his opinions are somewhat important
    Tessa and Scott just have to prepare and believe in themselves and in their faboulous programs.
    in these tensed days before Worlds, let's not forget the masterpieces that they have this year, their *immense* value and creativity.

vCash
    In response to the posts about Chan and V/M "quitting" after 2010. I think there has been some misinterpretation of what was said back then.

Chan - had just finished 5th and very unhappy with his skate. It seemed he was so hyped and ready to go for 2010 that he felt he had "failed". Add to that all the expectations he probably felt -- well I think he was a bit weary. Fast forward a couple months after he's had time to assimilate all that the Olympics in his home country meant to him, he was able to put it into perspective and realize that he wasn't done with skating. He found he still had joy in his "job" and that there was still more he wanted to do in skating. I simply thought it was simply a response to such a large event in his life. I don't think I really believed he was done with skating -- in spite of what was being said and taken out of context at the time. At least that is how I remember it.

V/M -- the golden kids! and what a way to cap a year. I think when they were asked about what the future holds and how much longer were they planning to compete, they gave their standard answer -- we'll take it one year at a time. They actually gave that as their answer for 2011 as well. Then in this season 2012-13, we got an indication that they plan to go to Sochi. I think this is the first time in a while that they have actually indicated plans for something longer than an upcoming season. I also think it's just *some* who are wishing V/M would go away and leave the field clear for ... others.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    of course the point is not what this David guy says, but the fact that his blog is quite followed so we got the impression his opinions are somewhat important
    Tessa and Scott just have to prepare and believe in themselves and in their faboulous programs.
    in these tensed days before Worlds, let's not forget the masterpieces that they have this year, their *immense* value and creativity.
    Yes, they need to focusing on there own programs and own skaters.
    But for me look, like americans started information War And Tessa-Scott are under this pressure every day, because D-W every minute show how they are ready, how they are sure they will win. And Tessa need to see her fomer BF with Meryl everyday. And Tanith is coaching in Acadamy.
    They are vey strong if they could work in this Acadamy.

vCash
    While the Bindi was originally a sign of being married its used also used as a decoration where you match the bindi colours with your clothes etc. I used it when unmarried and now that I am married and live in Canada it doesnt match my business suits so I dont use It!
    For weddings its not a traditional bindi that is used more often its sandalwood paste as a sign of welcome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Subway View Post
    Really? Is this why the Bollywood program got hundreds and thousands of youtube hits from India?

Is this why I, a non-Indian, when attending a Hindu wedding, received a bindi from the bride's little nephew - as did all the other women guests, Hindu or not? Is this why for this Hindu wedding ceremony, the groom's side of the family that participated in the ceremony (the groom was not Hindu) wore appropriate Hindu wedding garb?

And btw - this wasn't some ultra assimilated family. Everybody else in the family married inside the culture, and aspects of the wedding were supervised by the most respected female in the family who still resides in India. They encouraged our participation - wearing bindis, etc.

The aboriginal program by the Russians got slammed because they insulted the culture. They made dumb a$$ cartoon facial expressions and basically their take on it was as if it was a minstral show. I think he even dragged her by her ponytail at one point. THAT's why it was insulting. An aboriginal inspired program has been done before with lot more authenticity and caused no uproar at all.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    My Indian friend (who is part of the Christian minority, not Hindu) says that there are some religious reasons Hindus wear bindis, however, to many Indians they are merely decorative, and she and her family wear them as decoration signifigant to India. She says some Muslims wear them too, but they are technically not supposed to by standards of their religion.

It was entirely appropriate for Meryl to be wearing one (though some Hindu may have taken offense?) and like others, while the aboriginal dance mocked the culture it portrayed, D/W celebrated the culture and it was well received.
    And this.

vCash
    Ok so Dave and Jenny are the commentators that said Tessa and Scott stopped the program because they were afraid to lose? That is so dumb anyways cuz I'm sure Tessa and Scott didn't think stopping was some how going to help them win (look at Tessa in the KnC she couldn't look up to see the scores), can people please think.

Rainbow you brought this up on FF and people explained then, so I don't know why you brought it up again. One of my best friends is Indian and she adores D/W.

vCash
    Well with March just around the corner I look forward to seeing V&M *** in their hometown. How sweet will that be. Just switching to positive thinking and leaving injuries and cheese behind (although I might enjoy a bit of red wine and fine cheese as I watch the FD in a couple of weeks)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    Well with March just around the corner I look forward to seeing V&M *** in their hometown. How sweet will that be. Just switching to positive thinking and leaving injuries and cheese behind (although I might enjoy a bit of red wine and fine cheese as I watch the FD in a couple of weeks)
    I dont like bad cheese, so WCh will be for me without it. D-W must say thanks to there fans and supotters in USA Figurre skating federation I will not let Aunt Joyse and others to not let me enjoy last V-M WCh. Like i dont need to see all movie, i could watch what i want and enjoy.
    Like i could ignore people who care so much about D-W in this thread then about V-M and support V-M haters and shamed there supporters.

I just wish T-S will show all the best to there parents, families and friends, who gave them so much to be there and achive such great results.

vCash
    Tessa and Scott are so terrified of Meryl and Charlie. That's why they've never beaten them before. Poor Tessa and Scott, so scared and cowardly. Meryl and Charlie are King Kong, how can they not be afraid?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    Tessa and Scott are so terrified of Meryl and Charlie. That's why they've never beaten them before. Poor Tessa and Scott, so scared and cowardly. Meryl and Charlie are King Kong, how can they not be afraid?
    They never get injuries, so could doing all season programs on max speed and never have big mistakes, wich judges notice (all others judges didnt want to see). So when you couldnt work on maximum, have injuries, this could put pressure on you.
    I hope canadians will made some pressure on D-W in London, but dont belive in this

vCash
    Is anyone hanging any V/M banners at Worlds? They'd probably love to see them!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    Ok so Dave and Jenny are the commentators that said Tessa and Scott stopped the program because they were afraid to lose? That is so dumb anyways cuz I'm sure Tessa and Scott didn't think stopping was some how going to help them win (look at Tessa in the KnC she couldn't look up to see the scores), can people please think.

Rainbow you brought this up on FF and people explained then, so I don't know why you brought it up again. One of my best friends is Indian and she adores D/W.
    I went and watched: I honestly wish Jenny was not with David. Any critique she had was with program elements and components. Fair enough. She was ready to move on to the pairs final at 4CC but Dave dialed it back to speculate about what happened with V/M. This is where I have a problem: When they stopped the program it was ok to say "what happened?" Then they returned to the ice and completed the program. At that point I think the issue should be moot. I think speculation is a waste of time and if there is something we need to know than Scott and Tessa will tell us. In this situation when you are trying to tell me what a skater is thinking then you've gone over the line because you don't really know. It is all speculation and it is unfair to do it to any skater. The exception I have is for when a fellow skater (like Scott H for example) will be at a competition and might empathize with a skater who is having a difficult day. He's been through it.

vCash
    I have a banner which I will be taking to worlds. Pani sent me the picture and I had it made in India!! It says Tessa & Scott our living legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I went and watched: I honestly wisuh Jenny was not with David. Any critique she had was with program elements and components. Fair enough. She was ready to move on to the pairs final at 4CC but Dave dialed it back to speculate about what happened with V/M. This is where I have a problem: When they stopped the program it was ok to say "what happened?" Then they returned to the ice and completed the program. At that point I think the issue should be moot. I think speculation is a waste of time and if there is something we need to know than Scott and Tessa will tell us. In this situation when you are trying to tell me what a skater is thinking then you've gone over the line because you don't really know. It is all speculation and it is unfair to do it to any skater. The exception I have is for when a fellow skater (like Scott H for example) will be at a competition and might empathize with a skater who is having a difficult day. He's been through it.
    Word.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    I have a banner which I will be taking to worlds. Pani sent me the picture and I had it made in India!! It says Tessa & Scott our living legends.
    Yay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Golightly View Post
    Sometimes their lines are around the same level as those of King Kong Like in Giselle when they're doing the one foot hop...

Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast