Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
    vCash
    OT, but I was just watching CBC and caught part of a Rogers Nextbox ad (cable controller/PVR, can be controlled from your phone). Couples talking, one of the women saying how you can manage your PVR content with Nextbox 2.0, she turns to one of the men and says "...like your figure skating videos", and he replies "...well...actually it's ice dancing".

YEAH!
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    OT, but I was just watching CBC and caught part of a Rogers Nextbox ad (cable controller/PVR, can be controlled from your phone). Couples talking, one of the women saying how you can manage your PVR content with Nextbox 2.0, she turns to one of the men and says "...like your figure skating videos", and he replies "...well...actually it's ice dancing".

I noticed that ad this morning too and what's really funny about it is that when they do a closeup of the screen, it turns out that it's not ice dancing - it's pairs!

vCash
    What about "The Homecoming"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
    I noticed that ad this morning too and what's really funny about it is that when they do a closeup of the screen, it turns out that it's not ice dancing - it's pairs!
    Well, I guess the people who made the ad don't know a whole lot about figure skating...but at least it's acknowledged in a mainstream, mass-market ad. A man and a woman skating together - must be ice dancing!

vCash
    You guys might like to know that FSU is quoted as one of the sources for Ice, Sweat and Tears!

Scroll down & it's on the right hand side of the page!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    You guys might like to know that FSU is quoted as one of the sources for Ice, Sweat and Tears!

Scroll down & it's on the right hand side of the page!
    Interesting!

vCash
    So much to catch up on! So many great posts! rainbowkisses and Skittl1321, that was an interesting discussion and I wonder if you might be interested in exploring the topic of figure skating, cultural performance+representation further in the OTBT section of the board.

WELCOME PEZazzz and Barbie! I hope you enjoy participating in this board

Emdee, clarie, Scrufflet, The Accordion, Daniskates93 and Corianna, I hope you all have an amazing time at worlds!!! I can't wait to see the banner, Emdee. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Best wishes to all the skaters competing this weekend!

Question:

What are you most interested in or excited to see in tessa&scott's performances this wkd? (improvements you would like to see and/or things you can't get enough of)

I am most looking forward to seeing these two feel the embrace of the friends and family and fans and soak in all the positive energy in that arena.

ETA: thanks for the link, professordeb
    Last edited by Bournekraatzfan; 03-08-2013 at 03:47 AM. Reason: clarity

vCash
    Here's the link that has us listed on the right hand side!
    http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episode/ic...and-tears.html
    Crazy about sports!

Banned Member
    forever wishing i had access to the crack TAT smoked when she said D/W should've won 2012 worlds ;)
    vCash
    so far ice sweat and tears is disappointing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbowkisses View Post
    so far ice sweat and tears is disappointing.
    Not just so far, the rest of it too. I did enjoy some parts though. Marina remains hilarious

vCash
    I have to admit the documentary about the Alberta tar sands shown on CBC prior to the skating doc was more fascinating. And the preview for next week's doc on dog owners living in the city sounds more intriguing too. Oh well, I wasn't expecting an Oscar winner so I'm always glad to see any skating. And Rudy in his underwear.

OMG, skating is so hard!!!

YEAH!
    vCash
    Details plz? Or was it that boring that there's nothing to say? Did it break down how they created Funny Face at least?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Details plz? Or was it that boring that there's nothing to say? Did it break down how they created Funny Face at least?
    V&M honestly weren't on that much 5-10 minutes,. It seemed like old news since it focused on last season. Paige and Rudy seemed to be on alot and Patrick more than V&M. But maybe it was just me expecting more. While it wasn't awful it was disappointing but typical and in retrospect about what I would've expected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Definitely. It's a chicken and egg thing. The aura of invincibility came because he was winning a lot of stuff, but part of the reason he was winning all that stuff was because (rightly or wrongly) the belief was that he was that good that he had a cushion where he could fall and win.
    Do you think Chan is not winning anymore because his federation dumped him and therefore stopped trying to promote the belief he would be invincible? If so, this should be good news for Tessa and Scott's fans because Skate Canada can throw all their support behind V/M now.

My thought is, V&M excel at everything at which Chan excels, and they're more musical, and their elements are at the maximum difficulty, and they don't make as many mistakes... so where is their huge point advantage?
    I pesonally agree with you that V/M are more musical than Chan but I'm not sure musicality is that high on the judges' list of criteria in differentiating between skaters. There is no program component named musicality, skaters are supposed to prove themselves in figure skating competitions, not musicality contests and the members of the panels of judges assessing those skaters are not musicians by formation, they are just former athletes themselves, I guess. Yes, V/M's elements are at the maximum difficulty but so are the elements of their rivals, their GOEs are just as high and they don't usually make mistakes. But perhaps V/M's fans who also seem to love Tessa and Scott's main rivals why they do.

Honestly, I haven't seen any huge point advantage for Chan this season where his rivals have upped their technical level and he has stagnated. His scores have been pretty much the same as last season but obviously not high enough anymore for him to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahararainfall View Post
    Anyway, back to Worlds, I honestly believe they can still win this despite the odds, which is a surprise to me because I tend to panic a lot. (I probably will next week. ). Maybe I am being naive and idealistic again, but I trust Tessa and Scott and their training and their strength as both dancers and skaters. I hope they can perform their programs to their full potential, not just for the win, but as an example for the next generation of ice dancers.
    This.

As someone pointed out earlier - I think it was aka_gerbil - Tessa and Scott at 4CC in the free dance were outGOE-ing their rivals up until they had to stop their performance because of Tessa's leg cramp. If V/M can hit their levels at Worlds, skate uninterruptedly and maintain the speed till the end, they will win the event. If there are people who don't believe that the stoppage affected V/M's components mark in any way, they should check the PC scores of other skaters who went through the same unpleasant experience such as Takahashi at 2011 Worlds in the free skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sequins View Post
    V&M honestly weren't on that much 5-10 minutes,. It seemed like old news since it focused on last season. Paige and Rudy seemed to be on alot and Patrick more than V&M. But maybe it was just me expecting more. While it wasn't awful it was disappointing but typical and in retrospect about what I would've expected.
    Well that's disappointing. I guess there's nothing really for me to look forward to then?

vCash
    I had to laugh at Scott's comment about his english deteriorating being with Marina so much . Next he'll be speaking with a Russian accent.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Ok after much fiddling I was able to learn how to post from IPAD to smugmug.

miriamdcunha.smugmug.com
    Tahiti folder you will find the VM banner.

Sorry I should have made a separate folder but didnt.

If I have a chance I will take some pics at worlds and post on a worlds folder now that I think I can do it.... hope so anyway.

vCash
    From "Budweiser Gardens"

Fans are not allowed to hang or suspend banners of any kind from the venue. Thanks again for your excitement but you shouldn't bring any banner or poster with intent to hang from the facility.

We hope everyone has a great experience.
    Thanks

---
    Happy women's day! It's too cute not to share : after 4cc russian fans from LJ sent flowers to cheer T-S up. And in an interview for russian site Tessa mentioned this.
    Last edited by m_chenning; 03-08-2013 at 01:28 PM.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Do you think Chan is not winning anymore because his federation dumped him and therefore stopped trying to promote the belief he would be invincible? If so, this should be good news for Tessa and Scott's fans because Skate Canada can throw all their support behind V/M now.
    I think it was a combination of things... his mistakes are catching up to him and his rivals are improving rapidly especially Fernandez. That makes it harder to sell that he's so good that he can beat anyone. I mean he is good but if he has a fall or two can he really beat someone who has 3 quads and good presentation? OTOH I see V&M being the most improved ice dancers in terms of program content... from my perspective it is they who are widening the gap between them and their rivals with their outrageously difficult FD and pure blade power.

I do think if Chan finishes off the podium SC will be more supportive of V&M.

I pesonally agree with you that V/M are more musical than Chan but I'm not sure musicality is that high on the judges' list of criteria in differentiating between skaters. There is no program component named musicality, skaters are supposed to prove themselves in figure skating competitions, not musicality contests and the members of the panels of judges assessing those skaters are not musicians by formation, they are just former athletes themselves, I guess.
    Well there is an interpretation mark. But I guess you are right, and I find it amazing especially in ice dancing where this should be at the forefront.

Yes, V/M's elements are at the maximum difficulty but so are the elements of their rivals, their GOEs are just as high and they don't usually make mistakes. But perhaps V/M's fans who also seem to love Tessa and Scott's main rivals why they do.
    Others may get level 4 but not all level 4 are created equal. The lifts in Carmen are much more challenging than lifts like I&K's, plus they are new (not just variations on old lifts but really new types of lifts we haven't really seen before). I really haven't seen dance lifts where the guy throws the girl in the air, or she enters from a backflip and then changes positions so many times (this being FSU, someone will contradict me by finding some but it must be rare if it's been done).

If V/M can hit their levels at Worlds, skate uninterruptedly and maintain the speed till the end, they will win the event.
    Totally agree, and I think they will do these things. I also think Carmen is difficult enough and their skating good enough that they should be able to absorb a mistake or a lost level and still win - but I'd rather they do it in grand style.

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast