Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Thanks Sylvia! Christina seems very self aware of her weaknesses, and considering the improvements she's made from one season to the next, I have no doubt she'll improve on these aspects going into next season.

I think her coaches have put in a lot of work on Christina's posture, arm positions and overall presentation. She was all gangly arms and awkwardness last season and this season there is a marked improvement in these areas. There is obviously still a lot of room for improvement but she's getting there.
    There is only so much a skater can improve year to year guys. she definitely is not repackaging her old self year after year. Give her time...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I would send her to a choreographer who could give her new motivations for her programs. I think she has a harder time getting into the imaginative part of performing. .
    Imaginative side of performing... That is my new catch phrase because it's so true.

I do think that some performers just wont do it. Watch clips of famous singers like Phyllis Hymen, or even Beyonce. They create something out of nothing and are very aware of the audiences reaction and they controlled the audience. It's rare. Plenty of good singers but performing is a total different thing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    Imaginative side of performing... That is my new catch phrase because it's so true.

I do think that some performers just wont do it. Watch clips of famous singers like Phyllis Hymen, or even Beyonce. They create something out of nothing and are very aware of the audiences reaction and they controlled the audience. It's rare. Plenty of good singers but performing is a total different thing
    IMO Christina needs to do what she feels comfortable with- in terms of the performance aspect. She can make some changes/improvements, but she cannot become a completely different person. A good example is how Sandra Bezic choreographed a perfect program (Napoleon in 1988) for Brian Boitano, who is an introverted skater. It focused on his strengths- the jumps, the gorgeous lines in his spread eagles, the power in his skating, without trying to force him to make an audience connection. I despise Sandra as a commentator, but as a singles choreographer she has done some really good work. I wonder if she could do something for Christina? Another choreographer that comes to mind is Lori Nichols- the way she transformed Michelle Kwan into a teeny bopper into a Queen (Kween).

vCash
    She doesn't have big exciting jumps or wonderful spins, she isn't noticeably musical or really artistic, but she is a pleasant skater like so many others out there. I think she is probably peaking now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilng View Post
    She doesn't have big exciting jumps or wonderful spins, she isn't noticeably musical or really artistic, but she is a pleasant skater like so many others out there. I think she is probably peaking now.
    She is too young to be peaking right now. She can develop many skills in the years ahead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    IMO Christina needs to do what she feels comfortable with- in terms of the performance aspect. She can make some changes/improvements, but she cannot become a completely different person. A good example is how Sandra Bezic choreographed a perfect program (Napoleon in 1988) for Brian Boitano, who is an introverted skater. It focused on his strengths- the jumps, the gorgeous lines in his spread eagles, the power in his skating, without trying to force him to make an audience connection. I despise Sandra as a commentator, but as a singles choreographer she has done some really good work. I wonder if she could do something for Christina? Another choreographer that comes to mind is Lori Nichols- the way she transformed Michelle Kwan into a teeny bopper into a Queen (Kween).
    I believe Bezic does not do any choreography for competitive programs because of her NBC commentator gig. I think she's only available for exhibitions but I don't know of any recent work she has done besides Yuna's Rihanna program.

I think Tom Dickson would work wonders with Christina.

vCash
    She is too young to be peaking right now. She can develop many skills in the years ahead.
    She is young but I get the feeling she is going to focus solely on her education after the Olympic season. I would be surprised if she continued competing.

Title-less
    vCash
    I remember watching live a very young Gao years ago, competing in jr ladies against Agnes Z and some other girls at sectionals. She was the most consistent of the bunch, landin like 4 triples in the free while Agnes didn't make top four. Despite landing more triples she was only 3rd that competition. That seems to be her competitive history thus far-- skating fairly well but seldom well enough to win.

I like her skating and I hope that will change.
    Last edited by jlai; 02-13-2013 at 02:24 AM.

vCash
    She needs to go to a dance studio and take some classes to help her express herself with her movement so that we can see some excitement on the ice ... She also needs to work on her flexibility a bit more

vCash
    I despise Sandra as a commentator, but as a singles choreographer she has done some really good work..
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    I believe Bezic does not do any choreography for competitive programs because of her NBC commentator gig.
    Dear NBC Sports:

Please read the two messages quoted above and take them to heart. There is a moral imperative here.

Yours truly,

Vagabond

vCash
    Off the top of my head -

1. Try to reintegrate a 3F-3T into her programs.
    2. Eliminate those throw-away moments from her choreography

vCash
    She reminds me of Jenny Kirk. Nice girl, small jumps, slow skating, nice spins, just not really international caliber. I still hope she gets the 3rd U.S olympic spot though as nobody else deserves it either and just a reward for her perseverance.

vCash
    Christina's jumps aren't small, they may not be huge but they are quite nice jumps in terms of size, technique, and air position. Her toe jumps in particular get great height. And she has great speed, maybe not Gold, Kostner, or Gedevanishvilli-esque lets fly around the rink speed but she has long legs and good stride in her crossovers so she covers the ice quite well and rather quickly.

Anyways if Christina wants to make it into the top echelon I think there are 3 main things she needs:

1.) Re-incorporate the 3f-3t into her programs. (Or if not, at least put 7 triples in her FS - she could do this with a 3t-3t combo to open and then could get 7 triples without having to repeat the 2a). Ideally in the SP her layout should be 3f-3t and 3lo, or at least 3t-3t and 3f (her 3f is a much better jump for her than 3lo, she can pick up more GOE by switching them). Then in the FS, definitely 7 triples if she's only going to do one 2a, and try and put two combos in the second half instead of just one.

2.) Work on increasing her flexibility so she can improve her GOE on spins and spirals. (Currently she is getting level 4 for all her spins except the layback, and if the biellman hurts too much she doesn't need to bring it back, her layback spin is actually really nice as is, but the other spins could be stronger, maybe try to upgrade her combo spin to incorporate an I-position and do a sit spin with a fully extended leg, and then the spiral/arabesque position can definitely be improved a lot.)

3.) Get programs that suit her personality and show off her strengths as a skater. The SP this season was a big step forward, the music wasn't overused and it made her look very graceful and soft on the ice. The tango FS was not a good vehicle however, Christina does have a sassy side off the ice and though she looked sexy in that black costume, that doesn't come across when she's skating. Something more lyrical that doesn't require such moxie, flirtation, charisma, or sexy/sultry-ness to be pulled off convincingly is a better idea for her. Ballet music probably not the best choice either, she looks the part but it would emphasize some of her weaknesses. So lyrical, somewhat modern music is the best choice. In addition to her SP this season I also liked her SP from 09-10 that was set to Phillip Glass music. And the more upbeat Yellow River program was not too bad either, she shows some exuberance with happier music. Anyways, the main point is that for her the music is going to make a big difference.

I really think that's all she needs to do. Everything else is there.

vCash
    Actually she has had very consistent and strong free skates this season. It's the short programs that let her down in a few events. Very much like Wagner in the previous season.

Everything about her is pleasant, but she lacks a style or a quality that makes her stand out internationally. Hopefully Mitchell can help in that area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12