Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
    vCash
    Coming back to the Argentinian church's involvement with the military junta, whilst nobody has been able to produce solid proof of Francis's collaboration with them, there were priests who had the courage to speak up against them, request them to respect human rights and so forth. Francis wasn't one of them.

Living in a Snark
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Coming back to the Argentinian church's involvement with the military junta, whilst nobody has been able to produce solid proof of Francis's collaboration with them, there were priests who had the courage to speak up against them, request them to respect human rights and so forth. Francis wasn't one of them.
    True, but there is a reason for that, most of them are dead.
    He tried to save as many as he could while trying to stay alive, others were not so careful. I still go to lay some flowers in my second cousins' (twice removed) grave from time to time.
    D&S 2006 and 2007 World Gold Medalists

vCash
    On Gay Priests, Pope Francis Asks, ‘Who Am I to Judge?’

Striking a breathtakingly conciliatory approach to a hot-button issue that has divided Catholics, Pope Francis on Monday said that he would not judge priests for their sexual orientation. “If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?” Francis said, according to media reports....

His predecessor, Benedict XVI, who retired in February, wrote a Vatican document that said that men with “deep-seated homosexual tendencies” should not become priests. During his papal trips, Benedict responded only to a handful of preselected questions from reporters....

The pope also told reporters that while Pope John Paul II had definitively closed the door to female priests, Francis sought a “theology of women” and a greater role for them inside Catholic life, according to The National Catholic Reporter.
    If Pope Benedict XVI were dead, he'd be rolling in his grave.

vCash
    I'm hoping that some extremist doesn't go after him. Hoping that, next, he'll allow priests and nuns to marry. And allow marriages outside the church building, as in, in a park, at a reception venue.

vCash
    I hope that these "enlightened" attitudes spur Pope Francis to "wise decisions and right actions", for the good of the Church and the world.
    (Paraphrasing a prayer from the Episcopal prayer book).

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I don't understand how what he said is really that groundbreaking in terms of philosophy. It's always been "love the sinner, hate the sin." But I suppose lots of folks have forgotten about the "love the sinner" part. And no one but God can judge.

I mean, it's certainly unusual and very very cool coming from the Pope, but he's mostly breaking from tradition. He's not breaking the rules of the religion necessarily.

vCash
    His position is a big step forward from the condemnatory statements made by his predecessor.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Hoping that, next, he'll allow priests and nuns to marry. And allow marriages outside the church building, as in, in a park, at a reception venue.
    Sorry, but .
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    He said it to a camera team. I'm in crappy internet land, so finding a video is close to impossible. Search for Papa and Globo TV, you should get something.
    Over here, getting any kind of news on TV that didn't involve the Pope was next to impossible
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Sorry, but .
    Sorry, but I fail to see the humor in that. The church needs to make itself more palatable.

vCash
    Bringing this thread back to link to a New York Times article about an interview Pope Francis gave: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/wo...agewanted=1&hp

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Thanks for the link.

I sure do like this pope way more than the last one!

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    I sure do like this pope way more than the last one!
    He's the best since Pope Paul VI for me. Benedict was actually less conservative than John-Paul, but he didn't have the appealing personality.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728