Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Jesuits can be cool. Though all the ones I know personal have been rather liberal.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Here's an article on the reaction in Argentina: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...ntina-reaction
    These are serious accusations:
    But Eduardo de la Serna, coordinator of a left-wing group of priests who focus on the plight of the poor, told Radio del Plata that he was neither surprised nor pleased at the decision. "Bergoglio is a man of power and he knows how position himself among powerful people," he said. "I still have many doubts about his role regarding the Jesuits who went missing under the dictatorship."
    What is that supposed to mean?

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    He's had one lung for about 50 years, so he seems to be doing okay.
    Cardinal Bergoglio's life has just changed dramatically and forever. Being a Pope is an incredibly taxing job, physically and mentally. If you have a constitutional weakness or a latent condition, it could be aggravated. I hope not, though. Hope he takes good care of himself.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Guess the ice is slippery in the Vatican as well as in figure skating. He was not one of the favorites.
    According to , he's been doing flawless 4S+3T+3R combinations in practice.

vCash
    That the Catholic Church has colluded with the military dictatorship in order to keep/advance its power. Shock horror who would have thought (it's happened pretty much everywhere wherever you had right wing authoritarian governments).

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    According to , he's been doing flawless 4S+3T+3R combinations in practice.
    Can he make it to fake London on time for the free skate?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    These are serious accusations:
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/washing...ty-war/5326675

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Should we now expect an Argentinian singer to tear a picture of him in half after a performance, following in Sinead O'Connor's footsteps?
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

Port de bras!!!
    vCash

Really now. Got any links from The Onion?
    In Latin America, where a number of governments are now challenging US hegemony, one would expect –given Bergoglio’s track record– that the new Pontiff Francis I as leader of the Catholic Church, will play de facto, a discrete “undercover” political role on behalf of Washington.
    Oh goody, we got ourselves a spy.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Jesuits can be cool. Though all the ones I know personal have been rather liberal.
    Liberal Jesuit seems to be an oxymoron...

Though the only Jesuit I know personally was quite a wild child in his college days. Many of us think he entered the priesthood to reconcile his sinful "lifestyle choice"... His theology is very conservative now.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 03-14-2013 at 02:41 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Liberal Jesuit seems to be an oxymoron...
    You must have lived a very sheltered life! Here's a famous example of a liberal Jesuit:

Robert Drinan

Robert Frederick Drinan, S.J. (November 15, 1920 – January 28, 2007) was a Roman Catholic Jesuit priest, lawyer, human rights activist, and Democratic U.S. Representative from Massachusetts. He was also a law professor at Georgetown University Law Center for the last twenty-six years of his life.

In 1970, Drinan sought a seat in Congress on an anti-Vietnam War platform, narrowly defeating longtime Representative Philip J. Philbin, who was serving on the House Armed Services Committee, in the Democratic primary. Drinan went on to win election to the House of Representatives, and was re-elected four times, serving from 1971 until 1981....

Drinan was the first member of Congress, in July 1973, to introduce a resolution calling for the impeachment of President Richard Nixon, though not for the Watergate Scandal that ultimately ended Nixon's presidency. Drinan believed that Nixon's secret bombing of Cambodia was illegal, and as such, constituted a "high crime and misdemeanor"....

Throughout Drinan's political career, his consistent support of abortion rights drew significant opposition from Church leaders, who had also repeatedly requested that he not hold political office in the first place. Drinan attempted to reconcile his position with official Church doctrine by stating that while he was personally opposed to abortion, considering it "virtual infanticide," its legality was a separate issue from its morality. This argument failed to satisfy his critics. According to the Wall Street Journal, Drinan played a key role in the pro-choice platform becoming a common stance with politicians in the Kennedy family.

In 1980, Pope John Paul II unequivocally demanded that all priests withdraw from electoral politics. Drinan complied and did not seek reelection. "'It is just unthinkable,' he said of the idea of renouncing the priesthood to stay in office. 'I am proud and honored to be a priest and a Jesuit. As a person of faith I must believe that there is work for me to do which somehow will be more important than the work I am required to leave.'"

vCash
    You must have lived a very sheltered life!

Thanks for the example. Perhaps rather than sheltered I'm younger than you? The example you cited was politically active well before I was born. It does seem like he would be an exception rather than a rule though- there are very few priests who support abortion rights at all. Still I'm not sure people who have limited experience with a priesthood order are necessarily sheltered...

Like I said, I only know one Jesuit personally, and my experience with the order second-hand has been that as a group they have very conservative views.

Resident Rude Brazilian
    vCash
    La mano de Díos.

Quite literally

With everyone counting on Scherer for pope, one has to appreciate the irony of electing an Aregentinian pope.
    (Latin American too, I know. But the Argentina vs Brazil bickering will get to a new level. )

As for Ms. Kirchner, almost everything she's doing to the country is just
    Freezing prices, really? You do remember what happened to that neighbour contry of yours, you know Brazil?
    Measures such as this are the reason the 80's are called "the lost decade" around here.
    Dá-lhe, Isadora!!
    Lead me not into temptation. I can find it, and eat it, all by myself.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    It may be a generation thing. Or geographical. Or just coincidence. All the Jesuits I know are liberals.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Well here's hoping this one is too! Though what he has said about LBGT in the past, I don't think he is...

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Well here's hoping this one is too! Though what he has said about LBGT in the past, I don't think he is...
    Pope Francis I is against equal marriage and abortion.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Well here's hoping this one is too!
    He's not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    It may be a generation thing. Or geographical. Or just coincidence. All the Jesuits I know are liberals.
    jesuits in general are one of the more liberal orders in Catholicism and got into some trouble with JPII over diverging from official dogma. This pope is actually a conservative Jesuit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Pope Francis I is against equal marriage and abortion.
    Maybe it was just a ruse? He acted like he was, so that he could be elected Pope, and then he'll change all the church teachings.

Unlikely, but if Obama is a terrorist plant, then it is about as likely that Pope Francis was also a sleeper cell...

vCash
    You must have lived a very sheltered life! Here's a famous example of a liberal Jesuit:

Robert Drinan
    Fr. Drinan was a hero and example to me.
    Unfortunate that John Paul II demanded that he leave his seat

vCash
    John Paul II was quite the party pooper. He also banned the performance of secular music from Catholic churches.

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast