Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

vCash
    Just saw this breaking news on cnn (on my computer) but it seems lots of posters are way ahead of me

http://www.cnn.com/

Since I know very little about Catholicism, I cannot really express any opinion on this. Good luck to Pope Francis.

vCash
    My Argentinian relatives have yet to comment on this - considering that they usually post on Facebook frequently, their silence is almost deafening

Not to drag this to PI, but timing of an Argentinian pope is interesting, especially considering how the Catholics have butted heads with President Fernández de Kirchner, who despite being progressive on social issues, has been unpopular due to government corruption and national income inequality.

vCash
    He'll be officially installed as Pope on March 19th.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    The people from Central and South America the reporters have interviewed seems to be really happy with this choice.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Hmm, Cardinal Tauran went through that announcement awfully quickly. He seemed like he was in a hurry to get off the balcony and just get over it. When they did announce the name, there was an audible gasp in the air. I think more of the people wondering who exactly this cardinal was. I was also quite puzzled when he came out and he wasn't wearing red. Something about the whole thing just seemed... odd... I don't know, just a personal sense of things.
    He chose the simplest of vestments that popes wear. I think that is significant but not in a bad or odd way. It seems he has striven to be humble and down to earth, people in Buenos Aires knew him, even when he was a cardinal, as "Father Jorge" and as mentioned in the thread he lived in a simple apartment rather than the archbishop's "palace" and used public transportation rather than a personal driver. Red silk is apparently not going to be his thing. Benedict wore red on the balcony (Photo here: http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...t_2506121b.jpg ) and wore the red and gold stole the whole time, Francis chose to wear it only to give the blessing. His cross was also quite less ornate than we normally have seen popes wearing. I would say those things are statements about who he is and wishes to be. And I don't think that is a bad thing or something to criticize.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    The red mozzetta and red and gold stole are apparently traditional, but the new Pope chose not to wear it. In keeping with his name I guess. Back to the basics.

Benedict forgot to take his black sweater he wore for the conclave off when he got dressed. So you can see the sleeves in the photo.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The red mozzetta and red and gold stole are apparently traditional, but the new Pope chose not to wear it. In keeping with his name I guess. Back to the basics.

Benedict forgot to take his black sweater he wore for the conclave off when he got dressed. So you can see the sleeves in the photo.
    You can see quite clearly in that photo that the sleeves were too short for him. It would not have been necessary to take it off had the vestments fit properly. They prepare three sets of vestments for a new pope and hope that one fits well enough to work for that initial appearance. I also read today that there are three pairs of shoes to choose from as well. That must be the worst trouble. This pope looked as if the vestment will only need a bit of tailoring, that wasn't the case for Benedict. You can see in this photo that the sleeves were a bit short for JP II as well and he also wore the red:

http://www.fjp2.com/images/stories/J...ave-a-Pope.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    Here's another thought. It always seems like the older Popes either have to retire because of health or they suddenly die. I don't mean that out of disrespect, but you'd think they would get tired of having to choose another Pope so soon. If he were younger, they wouldn't have to worry about that as much. Oh well, I've always looked forward to seeing what color smoke comes out of the stack.
    But if they are younger than you are stuck with them for possibly decades...Even if they are great they can still achieve a kind of divine status....... A long reign isn't necessarily good. There were good things about JPII's reign but bad things about having a reign that long. In fact in general a long pontiff is considered not necessarily great idea.

I think there are good things about having an older pope especially with the new Benedict precedent. It will give some of the younger Cardinals a little more experience too.

All I can say is may he have the spirit of St Francis of Assisi.. One of our very greatest of saints. And rebuild our church. I'm shocked it took so long to get a Pope Francis!
    Last edited by bek; 03-13-2013 at 10:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    Probably fairly conservative, if this is any indication:

"Bergoglio is considered a straight-shooter who calls things as he sees them, and a follower of the church's most conservative wing. He has clashed with the government of President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner over his opposition to gay marriage and free distribution of contraceptives."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/13/world/...ion/index.html
    Yep, same as usual then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Yep, same as usual then.
    You can always join us Episcopalians, we're the liberal Catholics

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Interesting article on the name choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    You can always join us Episcopalians, we're the liberal Catholics
    Francis has the prayers of this Episcopalian.
    I hope that he will be equal to the challenges ahead of him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    He chose the simplest of vestments that popes wear. I think that is significant but not in a bad or odd way. It seems he has striven to be humble and down to earth, people in Buenos Aires knew him, even when he was a cardinal, as "Father Jorge" and as mentioned in the thread he lived in a simple apartment rather than the archbishop's "palace" and used public transportation rather than a personal driver. Red silk is apparently not going to be his thing. Benedict wore red on the balcony (Photo here: http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...t_2506121b.jpg ) and wore the red and gold stole the whole time, Francis chose to wear it only to give the blessing. His cross was also quite less ornate than we normally have seen popes wearing. I would say those things are statements about who he is and wishes to be. And I don't think that is a bad thing or something to criticize.
    IIRC, pope John Paul I also wore a similar simple white robe and was also big on simplicity. I was extremely sorry to see him pass away so soon, he gave me a feeling of hope that I lost a long time ago.

Living in a Snark
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    My Argentinian relatives have yet to comment on this - considering that they usually post on Facebook frequently, their silence is almost deafening

Not to drag this to PI, but timing of an Argentinian pope is interesting, especially considering how the Catholics have butted heads with President Fernández de Kirchner, who despite being progressive on social issues, has been unpopular due to government corruption and national income inequality.
    Well, it was only 3pm here when it was announced, most of us where still at work, maybe they don't know yet.

President Kirchner unpopular just because of government corruption and income inequality? There is a lot more to it, trust me. She refuses to acknowledge the countries high inflation and the economy has gone from bad to worst in this last few months, among other things.
    To give you an example that would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that this lady rules my country: Just today she said that diabetes is a disease exclusive to people of higher incomes, because they are lasy and fat.
    D&S 2006 and 2007 World Gold Medalists

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    IIRC, pope John Paul I also wore a similar simple white robe and was also big on simplicity. I was extremely sorry to see him pass away so soon, he gave me a feeling of hope that I lost a long time ago.
    All popes wear that same white robe/vestment for daily use. It is the simplest one in the "collection", though, and we typically see the more ornate addition of red and gold for the introduction. And JPII wore the full red and gold regalia for his introduction (I linked a photo above). I just read that the simple cross Pope Francis wore is his own and it seems he intends to keep it rather than wear the ornate papal crosses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Francis has the prayers of this Episcopalian.
    I hope that he will be equal to the challenges ahead of him.
    Mine, as well. He has inherited quite a mess.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Clearly, the cardinals were going for a high Pope turnover. Otherwise, why would they elect a 76 year old with one lung? Meanies.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D&Sfan4ever View Post
    Well, it was only 3pm here when it was announced, most of us where still at work, maybe they don't know yet.

President Kirchner unpopular just because of government corruption and income inequality? There is a lot more to it, trust me. She refuses to acknowledge the countries high inflation and the economy has gone from bad to worst in this last few months, among other things.
    To give you an example that would be funny if it wasn't for the fact that this lady rules my country: Just today she said that diabetes is a disease exclusive to people of higher incomes, because they are lasy and fat.
    Oh I believe you, my relatives were out there in Buenos Aires banging pots and pans last year, which is why I was surprised that nobody had something to say about Pope Francis.

That diabetes comment is , I can see why so many Argentinos have contempt for her. Isn't obesity and diabetes disproportionately affecting the poor in Argentina? I could have sworn I read that something similar is happening there as in the US in that the impoverished are eating unhealthier foods because it's less expensive than eating healthy. (Edit: I found it! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22615030)

Although I disagree with the current's Pope stance on gay rights and contraception, I really hope he uses the platform to help the poor everywhere and in his home country.

Living in a Snark
    vCash
    That diabetes comment is , I can see why so many Argentinos have contempt for her. Isn't obesity and diabetes disproportionately affecting the poor in Argentina? I could have sworn I read that something similar is happening there as in the US in that the impoverished are eating unhealthier foods because it's less expensive than eating healthy. (Edit: I found it! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22615030)
    Of course it is, but she loves to trow darts to the "high income" people (as if She wasn't one them ) because they are, almost without exception, deeply opposed to her and her government. This days she doesn't even stop to check the facts before she utters new idiotic and/or petty comments when she speaks.

Although I disagree with the current's Pope stance on gay rights and contraception, I really hope he uses the platform to help the poor everywhere and in his home country.
    Me too.
    D&S 2006 and 2007 World Gold Medalists

vCash
    Here's an article on the reaction in Argentina: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...ntina-reaction

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Clearly, the cardinals were going for a high Pope turnover. Otherwise, why would they elect a 76 year old with one lung? Meanies.
    He's had one lung for about 50 years, so he seems to be doing okay.

I'll never agree with the church in regards to their position on homosexuality, contraception, abortion and women, but given the choices, he seems to be one of the better ones. He seems humble, dedicated and honest. I like his choice of the name Francis. I'm biased in favor of Jesuits, so that may be it.

My family in South America is quite happy and excited to have a Latin American pope.

ETA: St. Francis Xavier is also one of the founders of the Jesuit order
    Last edited by oleada; 03-14-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast