Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

vCash
    Am I the only who thinks that picking an older pope is a strategy by the other Cardinals to improve their chances of getting the gig one day? The more turnover, the better the chance.
    What would Jenny do?

vCash
    I do wonder about two older popes in a row. It does seem like they are going for turnover. Maybe the motivation is what you say, or maybe it is to prevent the church from being stuck in a rut.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I admit that I don't know a lot about the Catholic religion even though all my Aunts and Uncles on my Dad's side are Catholic. My dad converted to Baptist when he and my mom were married. My question is why don't they pick a younger priest/cardinal to become Pope? Is it a tradition that they all have to be older? I don't see what it would hurt to pick someone that's younger.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Disappointed that the new Pope is older but on the plus side he is from outside Europe, and a good administrator. Time will tell what kind of Pope he will be. Congrats to him and all Catholics.

vCash
    Simone411 - Technically any Catholic man eligible to take the rites can become Pope. If he isn't already ordained, they will ordain him. In actuality, it is going to be a Cardinal. There aren't any very young cardinals, though there are still some who are "young". A younger Pope is slightly less likely because they are not "in" with the upper echelons of the church. Even as a Cardinal you have to work your way up to become known. It is anyone's guess why they keep picking very old Pope's though.

If you pick someone younger it is much harder to guess what they will do when they become Pope. And they are much more likely to stay Pope for a very long time.

vCash
    Probably fairly conservative, if this is any indication:

"Bergoglio is considered a straight-shooter who calls things as he sees them, and a follower of the church's most conservative wing. He has clashed with the government of President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner over his opposition to gay marriage and free distribution of contraceptives."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/13/world/...ion/index.html

vCash
    Hmm, Cardinal Tauran went through that announcement awfully quickly. He seemed like he was in a hurry to get off the balcony and just get over it. When they did announce the name, there was an audible gasp in the air. I think more of the people wondering who exactly this cardinal was. I was also quite puzzled when he came out and he wasn't wearing red. Something about the whole thing just seemed... odd... I don't know, just a personal sense of things.
    Kyle

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks for explaining, Skittl1321. That definitely stands to reason that they would more likely stay Pope for a long time if they're younger.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Guess the ice is slippery in the Vatican as well as in figure skating. He was not one of the favorites.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    I was also quite puzzled when he came out and he wasn't wearing red.
    Do they usually wear red when they are first announced? The outfit was typical pope wear. I really don't know, but I thought the red thing was only when saying a mass.

(And would the fact that it is the Lenten season affect what they wear at all? Just a random thought.)

vCash
    I don't remember Joey the Rat wearing red when he came out first, but I could be mistaken.

Another old pope. Hm.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    nm
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Hmm, Cardinal Tauran went through that announcement awfully quickly. He seemed like he was in a hurry to get off the balcony and just get over it. When they did announce the name, there was an audible gasp in the air. I think more of the people wondering who exactly this cardinal was. I was also quite puzzled when he came out and he wasn't wearing red. Something about the whole thing just seemed... odd... I don't know, just a personal sense of things.
    I think the new pope wears white when being introduced to the people for the first time. It seems to ring a bell with me anyway from when Ratzinger was introduced for the first time. Time enough for him to wear red - which I assume happens when he is enthroned as Pope Francis I.

I do find it interesting he is 76 as the belief was that Ratzinger was chosen as a transitional Pope - but the cardinals seem to have gone for another transitional Papacy here. It will be interesting to see how he develops - but he does sound a little too conservative still - oh well!!

vCash
    Congratulations to the Vatican for finally going out on a limb by selecting an old white guy.

vCash
    Maybe he is the "fall guy" for all the surrounding scandals. So they chose an older non front runner?

I think the seemingly more frequent changeover in leadership is healthy.
    I'm honest, just not always in a nice way

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Congratulations to the Vatican for finally going out on a limb by selecting an old white guy.
    Kyle

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Here's another thought. It always seems like the older Popes either have to retire because of health or they suddenly die. I don't mean that out of disrespect, but you'd think they would get tired of having to choose another Pope so soon. If he were younger, they wouldn't have to worry about that as much. Oh well, I've always looked forward to seeing what color smoke comes out of the stack.
    Angie

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    Probably fairly conservative, if this is any indication:

"Bergoglio is considered a straight-shooter who calls things as he sees them, and a follower of the church's most conservative wing. He has clashed with the government of President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner over his opposition to gay marriage and free distribution of contraceptives."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/13/world/...ion/index.html
    He was also involved in the Argentinian church's non-apology for ignoring Argentina's dirty war in the 1970s and 1980s.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Beach Bum
    vCash
    The channel I was watching sent .. From Brazil across the bottom line, then quickly changed it to Argentina. I got excited for a minute.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Do you think he'll still take the bus to work, or...?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast