Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    A Cardinal who on record as supporting priests being allowed to get married, because of issues with celibacy, but was named bigot of the year for opposing same-sex marriage, who is being exposed as a priest who hit on at least one seminarian and three priests.

I wonder if he ever met J. Edgar Hoover.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Even though he did so dishonestly? The man has admitted his guilt:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21649475
    No kidding he did it dishonestly! Where was I saying he was being honest? I was stating where the hypocrisy would come from. His wanting to move up in the Church. So saying doing what needs to be said. Its not shocking that people would say one thing and do the opposite in order to move up in their career...

Perhaps he may have still believed it but was having a hard time living. But the hypocrisy isn't shocking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Ziglet has clearly established himself as the Felix of the pair, his fate now has him finding empty church wine bottles scattered around the apartment and smelly mitres tossed on the couch.
    God I loved that show!Before my time, but I caught it on reruns

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Catholic teaching is based on tradition/Scripture. Given the Church's traditional teaching on said subject the Cardinal probably wouldn't be able to advance in the Church if he argued for anything different.
    I disagree--someone doesn't have to be a militant homophobe in order to advance in any ecclesial structure. All that one has to say is the issue is a sensitive one and socially contested, so we need to dialogues while also upholding core Church teachings. That leaves doors open to move in any number of directions without demonizing any particular side.

Far too often those who are the most outspoken against same-sex relationships are hiding their own same-sex sexual activities.

vCash
    Pre-conclave discussions and preparations are underway:
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/...talks-18642311

vCash

vCash
    My bet is Odilio Scherer of Brazil. He's relatively young by papal standards (63), the pope was supposed to make a big trip to Brazil this year before his resignation. The biggest expansion of the church right now is in Latin America and Africa. That being said, the other choice I think is Peter Turkson of Ghana, again, younger by papal standards, could help bring an even bigger presence to Africa where they have big potential for expanding their base, and I believe he is on the more conservative end of the church. If they want to keep it in Europe Erdo of Hungary, Barbarin of France are potential picks, and of course if they want an Italian Cardinal I think Angelo Scola, Angelo Bagnasco and possibly Amato, but I don't think they want to elect anyone who is older than 70. I believe Ratzinger was more of a transitional pope after such a long papacy that preceded him that they'll want someone who will be in that role for a generation. I could be wrong, they could go with someone who could be a complete surprise.

They could go with Marc Oulette of Canada...
    Kyle

vCash
    There is no way they will elect a black Pope. Scherer maybe but my bets are on somebody European.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I heard the Canadian is on the short list.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I heard the Canadian is on the short list.
    I'm Canadian and that thought makes me
    Kyle

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Another Canadian Catholic who shudders at the thought of Oulette as Pope. So does my 80 yr old devout mother.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Cell phone jamming devices--crackdown on indiscreet cardinals
    Jamming devices will also be installed around the Sistine Chapel and the hotel to stop outsiders eavesdropping and to prevent mobile phone usage in the area.
    One senior churchman is believed to have let slip to friends in Germany that Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger had been elected pope in 2005 before the crowds waiting in the nearby St. Peter's Square were informed.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    Another Canadian Catholic who shudders at the thought of Oulette as Pope. So does my 80 yr old devout mother.
    Why?

vCash
    Everything I've heard about him indicates that he is extremely conservative; particularly about all issues involving women.

vCash
    Quebeckers cool to Cardinal Ouellet’s papal candidacy.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle9563750/

It’s not just that Cardinal Ouellet is a controversial figure in secular, liberal Quebec, where his conservative Catholic orthodoxy against abortion, birth control, female ordination, gay marriage and secular education caused clashes during his seven years leading the church in the province.

Even Quebec bishops and priests were split during his tenure and have failed to display much public enthusiasm for his candidacy.
    During his time as archbishop of Quebec City, from 2003 to 2010, the cardinal alienated some clergy and faithful with high-handed decision-making as he displayed his disdain for the lax and permissive direction the church took during his prolonged absence. He had been out of the country for most of the previous 30 years before taking the job.

In the most shocking episode, Quebec’s association of bishops publicly distanced itself from the cardinal in May, 2010, after he declared not even rape could justify abortion. The association issued a statement calling for a rational discussion on the topic free of blanket judgments. Association president Monseigneur Martin Veillette, now retired, said the cardinal was “out of sync” with Quebec. Five months later, Cardinal Ouellet was back in Rome.
    Last edited by flowerpower; 03-09-2013 at 11:42 PM.

vCash
    Thanks for the info.

He's probably going to win then.

vCash
    So one of my racist Appalachian hillbilly relatives mused on Facebook this morning that if we had a conclave to elect presidents in the U.S. we never would have "got stuck" with a black president.

I am now wishing for Cardinal Turkson of Ghana to be chosen. Just for the sake of seeing what kind of meltdown these people, all of them Catholic, have.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    That's funny because, if we'd had a conclave, whose to say we wouldn't have had a black president ages ago and a woman at some point too.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    So one of my racist Appalachian hillbilly relatives mused on Facebook this morning that if we had a conclave to elect presidents in the U.S. we never would have "got stuck" with a black president.

I am now wishing for Cardinal Turkson of Ghana to be chosen. Just for the sake of seeing what kind of meltdown these people, all of them Catholic, have.
    I agree with your sentiment but unfortunately the African bishops are amongst the most conservative ones. :/

Re-registered User
    vCash
    The only possible good outcome if Oulette were to become Pope is that perhaps it would further unite the women of the church to actively protest the exclusion of women. His actions certainly have here in Canada.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast