Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

vCash
    The Church needs someone younger, energetic, and forward-thinking to lead it into the future.
    Given the age and position(s) of the electors, that seems very unlikely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    The Church needs someone younger, energetic, and forward-thinking to lead it into the future.
    Given the age and position(s) of the electors, that seems very unlikely.
    I actually understand the concerns about a long papacy. The pope can't really be deposed and you may be stuck with him for 30 plus years. Not to mention. Plus it can make the church to much surrounded by one public figure. Not to mention the issue of experience. Benedict may have offered the third way by retiring. Only Nixon could retire, and some are saying only Benedict had the "orthodox" credentials to okay resiging.

vCash
    One can honor and be respectful of history and tradition, without being completely resistant to change and growth.
    I hope that such a leader can be found.

I'm not a Catholic, yet I would hate to see the Church become an anachronism in the 21st century.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Show 40 posts per page.
    Eh, I don't see that having less pages makes much difference in my reading enjoyment. I guess I was looking for something that doesn't exist.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    While an American isn't likely some of wondering if O'malley who has a reputation for cleaning house may have a shot. Although OMalley apparently is not good administratively.

The problem with going with someone very young is we don't know a lot about how they will handle running things. Also they really need someone with a well known record... IMO....
    Last edited by bek; 02-24-2013 at 07:10 PM.

vCash
    List of Cardinals, divided by those who are electors and those who are not.

http://www.gcatholic.com/hierarchy/c...-alive-age.htm

There are 20 under 65, 10 under 60. Something tells me that is the group to bet on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post

There are 20 under 65, 10 under 60. Something tells me that is the group to bet on.
    Yep those over eighty I believe can't vote. Colbert on the pope funny stuff http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...eculatron-7500
    Last edited by bek; 02-24-2013 at 07:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Yep those over eighty I believe can't vote. Colbert on the pope funny stuff http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...eculatron-7500
    That is correct, those over 80 as of Thursday when the papacy becomes vacant are ineligible to vote. According to one article I read about conclave rules, those over 80 are there for the opening, the taking of oaths (for secrecy's sake) and one of them leads prayers, then they leave the chapel.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post

The problem with going with someone very young is we don't know a lot about how they will handle running things. Also they really need someone with a well known record... IMO....
    Why? That hasn't worked recently.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I believe that Pope John Paul II was 58 when he was elected.

The problem with going with someone very young is we don't know a lot about how they will handle running things
    The youngest Cardinal is 53; hardly a teenager, or inexperienced!
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 02-24-2013 at 09:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Among the responses:

To whom it may concern:

Good day.

I recently found your "Pope" job posting on craigslist.org and it is of my interest to submit my documents for your evaluation. I'm originally from Puerto Rico, 29 years old, fully bilingual (Spanish-English) and gay. Even though I've never been Pope before, I master the ability to learn new procedures quickly and efficiently. I consider myself as a responsible, organized and professional individual, with the desire to make planet Earth a better place and, if possible, find World peace.

I am interested in setting up an interview with you to discuss my eligibility for this position as I truly believe I am the perfect candidate.

If further information about me is needed, please let me know.
    Dear Sir/Madam

I'm [name withheld] and I'd be interested in your job offer I live in London now. I have worked in different countries and attended several projects. During my working life I have been in America, South America, Africa and many others countries and have always enjoyed the culture and respect the customs of the places I visited.

I am a person that get along well with people and I love help others I was a member of the Red Cross in Italy and in UK I'm a member of the St. John Ambulance I'm originally from Pescara and I know Rome very well. I speak Italian, Spanish and Arabic base also I understand French and Portuguese.and I am Catholic.

I am skilled in interpersonal communication, I知 a hardworking, tenacious and available immediately. I am a very responsible and patient person: my principal capabilities are flexibility and adapting to different places and situations, tolerance, empathy, listening and supporting others, ability to improvise and self-reflection. I got Experience in many different areas as Marketing,Logistic, Retail, Transport, Automotive, Hospitality and Finance.

I like to work as part of a team, but I am also able to work individually if required. I work well under pressure and I am also able to provide an excellent customer service also in a very busy environment. I enjoy working with people, I am very quick to learn and I believe that one of the most important attributes that I have is reliability. My high degree of motivation has been recognized by my previous employers who have quickly promoted me to positions of greater responsibility.If you looking fot the right person I am here...

Thank you again for your time and consideration.

I am looking forward to hear from your reply.
    What's the compensation package like!

http://rome.it.craigslist.it/ofc/3611126794.html

Sent from my iPhone

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I believe that Pope John Paul II was 58 when he was elected.
    Yes. And I think we may very well see another younger Cardinal chosen. I just feel like we will get another surprise pick this time. Ratzinger was not at all a surprise eight years ago and speculation was that the cardinals would prefer an older man as a short term pope to follow the extremely popular and long reign before. I don't think, for all their faults and there are many, that the cardinal electors are stupid. They have to sense that for the future of the church someone younger, energetic and untainted by the previous scandals (or with a track record of addressing them head on in his sphere of influence) would be a wise choice. We have had a long stretch of elderly popes with Benedict's reign and the latter years of JPII's life combined.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Eh, I don't see that having less pages makes much difference in my reading enjoyment. I guess I was looking for something that doesn't exist.
    It means you don't have to load anywhere near as many pages.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    It means you don't have to load anywhere near as many pages.
    Okay, now I'm confused. I don't load pages individually - one click and I get to the next one. Does it take more bandwidth to have fewer posts on a page and more pages?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    It probably does, milanessa because each page has some fixed content that's always there. But the difference should be negligible for us because we have to stop and read the page and will always take the most time. (It might not be for the servers because they have to serve thousands of pages at a time.)

Anyway, I was annoyed with someone who came into a thread saying "I haven't read any posts, but ..." and said something about how rude it was to do that in a 14 page thread. Ziggy's response was that I was doing it wrong if the thread had that many pages for me.

So I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to me to switch how many posts are on a page. Because it's sure not going to stop morons from coming into a thread with hundreds of posts and say "I haven't read the thread but..." But if it makes it easier to find old posts or see keep up with the flow of conversation or something..... that would be cool.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The pope is pooped.
    Considering the shape the poor man is in, more than likely, but that made me smile nonetheless.

I was still up when the Pope made his final Sunday Address to the People in St. Peter's Square and since it's History, tuned in. Two things...

The *people* in attendance!! I mean...Wow!! There was literally not a speck of space left for one more person there yesterday.

Having never seen or heard one of these, we're not Catholic, I was fascinated listening to the Pope speaking to the various Nationality groups in their own language. Now, I do realize for the most part whichever language he was speaking that he actually did not know was spelled out phonetically for him to say on the sheaf of papers he was reading from, but it was still pretty amazing to listen to.

Now, can someone please do a step by step explaination of how things go from here? I realize once Thursday comes, there won't be a Pope until the Conclave votes on one, but what happens between now and then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Okay, now I'm confused. I don't load pages individually - one click and I get to the next one. Does it take more bandwidth to have fewer posts on a page and more pages?
    If you have more posts showing on a page, it means less time spent clicking the next page link and loading pages.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post

We can strike Britain's Cardinal O'Brien from that list.

He has resigned following allegations of inappropriate behavior going back years. He won't be making the trek to Rome.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-k-card...ions-1.1170394

Also, this election might come sooner than thought

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...-conclave.html

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    If you have more posts showing on a page, it means less time spent clicking the next page link and loading pages.
    My pages load instantly, even on my ancient phone. I don't really see the big deal about how your page views are set. :shrug:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    My pages load instantly, even on my ancient phone. I don't really see the big deal about how your page views are set. :shrug:
    By instantly you probably mean 'after one second.' And that's on top of the time spent having to move a mouse to the next page link and then click it.

Think of all the seconds are you wasting.

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast