Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I'll deal.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Think of all the seconds are you wasting.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Ziglet has clearly established himself as the Felix of the pair, his fate now has him finding empty church wine bottles scattered around the apartment and smelly mitres tossed on the couch.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I'm not certain a "younger" pope will guarantee anything new for the church. Any younger priests I've had have often been more militant, and often less interested in integrating into the community. I figure they're just a shorter road travelled from the seminary, and that's not necessarily a good thing...
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    I'm not certain a "younger" pope will guarantee anything new for the church. Any younger priests I've had have often been more militant, and often less interested in integrating into the community. I figure they're just a shorter road travelled from the seminary, and that's not necessarily a good thing...
    That is a solid theory except for the fact that the youngest Cardinal is 53. So they are all far removed from seminary.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Think of all the seconds are you wasting.
    And me on my death bed needed to maximize every second, too!
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    A younger pope would mean nothing IMO, bek is younger and she seems to think there is nothing wrong with the status quo and isn't exactly what I'd call progressive. I think any pope of any age would be exactly the same. The Catholic church doesn't want to progress, nor do they seem to see a need to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    A younger pope would mean nothing IMO, bek is younger and she seems to think there is nothing wrong with the status quo and isn't exactly what I'd call progressive. I think any pope of any age would be exactly the same. The Catholic church doesn't want to progress, nor do they seem to see a need to.
    I don't mind some change angelskates as long as the Church sticks with the deposit of the faith. Of course I would want corruption cleaned up....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I don't mind some change angelskates as long as the Church sticks with the deposit of the faith. Of course I would want corruption cleaned up....
    What would you change? What do you think needs changing? What changes bring about "corruption cleaned up" in your opinion?

vCash
    Pope Benedict will be known as "pope emeritus" and will retain the honorific "His Holiness" after he abdicates on Thursday, Vatican officials say.

He will also continue to be known by his papal title of Benedict XVI, rather than reverting to Josef Ratzinger.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21589982

vCash
    Vatican's new spin on Cardinal O'Brien's resignation:
    http://vaticaninsider.lastampa.it/en...articolo/22645

The Vatican statement made no reference to the allegations, and made clear his resignation was accepted for reasons of age in accordance with Canon 401#1
    In a statement released by the Scottish Catholic Press Office, Cardinal O’Brien revealed that he had handed in his resignation “some months ago” and that the Pope had accepted it on 13 November 2012, but said it was to take effect at a later date. That date has come now, he added. The Scottish Catholic Press Office in its statement said, “Given the imminent Vacant See, the Holy Father has now decided to accept the said resignation definitively”

Significantly, Cardinal O’Brien made no direct reference to the allegations in his statement, though he did apologize “for “any failures” and “to all whom I have offended”.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    In a statement released by the Scottish Catholic Press Office, Cardinal O’Brien revealed that he had handed in his resignation “some months ago” and that the Pope had accepted it on 13 November 2012, but said it was to take effect at a later date. That date has come now, he added. The Scottish Catholic Press Office in its statement said, “Given the imminent Vacant See, the Holy Father has now decided to accept the said resignation definitively”
    Church Chat

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    That is a solid theory except for the fact that the youngest Cardinal is 53. So they are all far removed from seminary.
    True enough, except I was talking exactly about priests in their 50s versus 70s-80s. But that's just my experience.

I agree with Angelskates.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    What would you change? What do you think needs changing? What changes bring about "corruption cleaned up" in your opinion?
    Well I'd like to see the Church be more open with what's going on. I'm not sure I agree for example with if there is a secret file that file only being known to the current Pope when we are electing a new pope. In general I think less secrecy would be a very good thing.

The Church could change its rules on the priesthood allowing married priests. I'm not necessarily against the current rule but it can be changed...Things like that.

The liturgy can always be changed. Practices etc.

I have a really strong background in theology and Scripture. There are things about the Church's teaching that I struggle with but always on those things I can see where the Church is coming from in Scripture and Tradition... I feel Catholicism has by far the best theology.

Now before people start calling me arrogant I'll say this, why would anyone be any particular religion if they didn't think their religion had the best theology...? I will agree that sadly the church doesn't always live its theology....

I became Catholic because inspite its members the Church after all is a hospital for sinners and those sinners certainly include me. I believe in our Church and I believe the way our Church at the very least decides its teachings is the most Scriptural way to do so.
    Last edited by bek; 02-27-2013 at 01:04 AM.

Princess Glee (TM)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    We can strike Britain's Cardinal O'Brien from that list.

He has resigned following allegations of inappropriate behavior going back years. He won't be making the trek to Rome.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-k-card...ions-1.1170394

Also, this election might come sooner than thought

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...-conclave.html
    Good riddance to bad rubbish - this is hypocrisy at its worst.
    Men and I are like pianos - when they get upright, I feel grand!

vCash
    I'm still shocked by the whole Cardinal O'Brien scandal - he's the cardinal for my diocese. I was confirmed by him, all my siblings and cousins were too and he's been our bishop for as long as I can remember (I even remember him giving me a prize at school on prize giving day). That being said, I think his resignation message kind of says it all. It seems especially shocking considering his outspoken stance on gay marriage. He was even given a "Bigot of the Year" award by a gay rights charity here last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
    I'm still shocked by the whole Cardinal O'Brien scandal - he's the cardinal for my diocese. I was confirmed by him, all my siblings and cousins were too and he's been our bishop for as long as I can remember (I even remember him giving me a prize at school on prize giving day). That being said, I think his resignation message kind of says it all. It seems especially shocking considering his outspoken stance on gay marriage. He was even given a "Bigot of the Year" award by a gay rights charity here last year.
    Catholic teaching is based on tradition/Scripture. Given the Church's traditional teaching on said subject the Cardinal probably wouldn't be able to advance in the Church if he argued for anything different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
    It seems especially shocking considering his outspoken stance on gay marriage.
    I doubt he wanted to marry any of the young men involved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Catholic teaching is based on tradition/Scripture. Given the Church's traditional teaching on said subject the Cardinal probably wouldn't be able to advance in the Church if he argued for anything different.
    Even though he did so dishonestly? The man has admitted his guilt:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21649475

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    "In recent days certain allegations which have been made against me have become public. Initially, their anonymous and non-specific nature led me to contest them.
    It's my understanding that the victims actually came forward some time ago, not just in the last few days. And no one can really believe that he thought other people were making up allegations very similar to what he actually did while the victims of his conduct remained silent.

"However, I wish to take this opportunity to admit that there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me as a priest, archbishop and cardinal.
    Details, please.

"To those I have offended, I apologise and ask forgiveness. To the Catholic Church and people of Scotland, I also apologise.
    His failure to make a specific public apology to his victims and to admit that they were men is intolerable.

"I will now spend the rest of my life in retirement. I will play no further part in the public life of the Catholic Church in Scotland."
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast