Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    The whole congress of cardinals could "suggest it" and the press could threaten to publish.
    In that way he could be "forced" to resign to save himself embarrassment or who knows, criminal charges.
    This was just a thought on why he resigned, not a statement of truth.
    I really don't think there is any credence to that. The Catholic Church has endured bad press before and will continue to endure it. And the College of Cardinals is not a legislative assembly that can make suggestions to/requests of the pope. That is not how it works. The majority of them reside and work in their own countries. They gather in what is called a consistory, but only an "extraordinary" consistory requires the presence of all of them and those are rare. The meeting to choose a new pope would essentially be an "extraordinary consistory" but is called a conclave.

vCash
    The whole congress of cardinals could "suggest it" and the press could threaten to publish.
    In that way he could be "forced" to resign to save himself embarrassment or who knows, criminal charges.
    This was just a thought on why he resigned, not a statement of truth.
    The Pope is a head of state and as such has immunity. He actually loses immunity if he gives up said position. I think there is a scandal maybe coming he doesn't feel like he can handle. But I'm sure there's always stuff going on there. Islam is bigger than Catholicism (although not Christianity as whole) but I suspect Catholicism is by far the largest/most organized religion. As such it no doubts attracts those seeking big time power in its midst.. (I'm not as naive as folks thing. I just trust the Lord being in charge inspite of those folks)

I think the pope was thinking the Church couldn't afford another incapicitated pope.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I think that, if there was a God, anyone who posted on Page 14 of a thread "I haven't read the thread" and then proceeded to give an opinion would be struck by lightening.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I think that, if there was a God, anyone who posted on Page 14 of a thread "I haven't read the thread" and then proceeded to give an opinion would be struck by lightening.
    You are right. But only to an extent. Because if this thread has 14 pages for you, then you are doing wrong.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Whoa! First of all gay or straight priests/cardinals etc have a vow of celibacy. So them acting quite a bit different in real life is a major, major issue.
    Yes, more than raping children and then covering it up apparently is what the Vatican is saying.

Pope Benedict gets a lot of the blame for the sex abuse scandals but i hate to say it however most of this happened in John Paul II watch. I think Benedict is thinking he needs someone in there young enough to handle all of this.
    Conveniently ignoring the fact that Cardinal Ratzinger was one of the most powerful people in the Vatican during that time, especially when Pope John Paul II was more or less a vegetable for the last few years of his life. Ratzinger was instrumental in the cover-up of the worldwide child sex abuses.

It makes me want to puke thinking back how many times as children we had to sing "Suffer Little Children" and the Vatican meant it literally.

And second I go with the Church as long as they stick to Church teachings and that includes nothing-new. So its not really them in and of itself I'm listening too...
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I would have thought lightning would be more appropriate, but if you insist, lightening it is:

I didn't read this thread so this may have been said before.
    My gut feeling is that there is some scandal that he is mixed up in that he has been told to resign or it will come out.
    It may have happened decades ago.
    His wife has been implicated in the Vatican bicycling team doping scandal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Yes, more than raping children and then covering it up apparently is what the Vatican is saying.

Conveniently ignoring the fact that Cardinal Ratzinger was one of the most powerful people in the Vatican during that time, especially when Pope John Paul II was more or less a vegetable for the last few years of his life. Ratzinger was instrumental in the cover-up of the worldwide child sex abuses.

It makes me want to puke thinking back how many times as children we had to sing "Suffer Little Children" and the Vatican meant it literally.

Look allezfred I have no doubt the Lord is going to judge those involved with this scandal and those who covered it up very seriously. In terms of Ratzinger who knows how much power he had however a lot of the sex abuse stuff was going on for a long time. In terms of the sex abuse stuff the Pope was dealing with it from the very beginning and new rules are in place but in terms of the other stuff that is new. The pope giving his own decreasing health is I'm sure concerned if the Vatican is that corrupt.....

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Prick Admin
    vCash
    In terms of Ratzinger who knows how much power he had
    He was Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. It's not like he just showed up in 2005 out of nowhere.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    You are right. But only to an extent. Because if this thread has 14 pages for you, then you are doing wrong.
    Well it's 15 pages now but her comment was on page 14 for me. I'm using the defaults. Is there a better way?
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    He was Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. It's not like he just showed up in 2005 out of nowhere.
    That is true. I'm frankly really hopeful someone outside the vatican will be elected Pope. Someone who can clean up things. The only problem with this is that it also means they may not know the inner workings of what's going on. But I think the Church desperately needs someone with clean hands and a sterling reputation. However the church needs a get tough personality too.

Someone like Cardinal Tagle of the Phillipines may be great. None of the baggage of his previous folks and a reputation of having a real respect concern for the poor...

It is right though that Pope John Paul II was very weak and it seems Benedict's job was to be the one investigating these things. I'm being unfair to the former Pope..

I'm glad the abuse stuff came out no matter how much it hurts. These type of things will come out because its forcing the Church to change.. I will say this my faith isn't based on the holiness of leaders. Its based on Christ. We have had good, bad, and evil leaders..Christ said this would be the case.

Perhaps a younger person is necessary who isn't associated with all of these issues.
    Last edited by bek; 02-23-2013 at 07:02 PM.

vCash

Perhaps a younger person is necessary who isn't associated with all of these issues.
    I hope for someone younger, non-European and who has to cancel a return ticket because he has not been working in the Vatican.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I called it on page three, bitches!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I hope he and his boyfriend will be very happy.

(My apologies if somebody already used a similar joke, I couldn't be bothered to read anything other than the first few posts! )
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Ha, I first read this as Vatican blasts Sekret Sources!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Ha, I first read this as Vatican blasts Sekret Sources!
    It would if it could.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    The Vatican is powerful but it doesn't have access to Sekret Sources!

vCash
    That is true. I'm frankly really hopeful someone outside the vatican will be elected Pope. Someone who can clean up things. The only problem with this is that it also means they may not know the inner workings of what's going on. But I think the Church desperately needs someone with clean hands and a sterling reputation.
    We need a survivor of the priestly pedophilia to go in and take care of business.

vCash
    Well it's 15 pages now but her comment was on page 14 for me. I'm using the defaults. Is there a better way?
    Show 40 posts per page.

Someone like Cardinal Tagle of the Phillipines may be great. None of the baggage of his previous folks and a reputation of having a real respect concern for the poor...
    It will never happen.

It's gonna be another European, white technocrat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Show 40 posts per page.

It will never happen.

It's gonna be another European, white technocrat.
    Well the popes were all Italian for a long time and that changed. There's some talk though Tagle is not a great administrator which is what we need. Benedict wasn't a great one. It very well might be Canadian.

Talk is the person who was getting the second most votes in the last conclave was a guy from Brazil. There was talk about Turkston but he gave an interview pretty much campaigning acting like he already won. And well the surest way to leave a cardinal is to entire into the conclave a Pope.

In terms of the next pope being American-not going to happen. But I know a couple of archbishops who are Mexican born in the USA. Not going to be pope this time but I can't help wondering if in the future one of them might have a shot... One of them Archbishop Gomez removed Mahoney etc from public service....
    Last edited by bek; 02-24-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast