Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Grammys Tonight

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Is she still never, ever, ever getting back together with that guy?
    Please do not encourage her.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Is she still never, ever, ever getting back together with that guy?
    Yes

As he heaves a huge sigh of relief.

This show sucked big ( bigger?) time this year.

vCash
    I came in late on the show and just watched Taylor's opening on youtube. I don't get all the "OMG" about her. Yes, she's an excellent songwriter. but she's a mediocre singer without the benefit of vocal layering or autotuning, and she just plain sucks as a live singer. The amount of attention she got through the evening was annoying bordering on ridiculous. I'll take Kelly Clarkson's powerful voice any day over Taylor's. And Taylor, we get it, you've gone through your umpteenth boyfriend and written your 10,000th song about it, gee, I guess he was British, now wasn't he - sure you didn't want to throw in a Bostonian accent and diss the Kennedy boy at the same time???? I agree with one critic who commented that she should write songs for other instead of singing them herself, but I doubt she'll ever do that.

Loved Kelly Clarkson's tribute to Patti and Carole, and thank you, powers that be, for not having her sing "(How Much is) That Doggie in the Window...").
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Kelly Clarkson Photobomb:
    http://music.yahoo.com/photos/grammy...537-slideshow/

For some reason I find this hilarious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    Kelly Clarkson Photobomb:
    http://music.yahoo.com/photos/grammy...537-slideshow/

For some reason I find this hilarious.
    Totally agree.

However why is Portia Di Rossi looking so ....... can't describe?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Just one comment - they should have done more as a tribute to Dick Clark than they did.

vCash
    I didn't watch the Grammys (not at ALL into today's music or artists), but saw the Grammy Fashion Police. Kelly Rowland looked AWESOME! It's the best I've ever seen her. For the first time, she outshown Beyonce.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    Just one comment - they should have done more as a tribute to Dick Clark than they did.
    Agree, could not believe they didn't even show a short video of his days on American Bandstand. That could have easily replaced at least 3 "GEE, Justin Timberlake is BAAAACK" commercials...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    Have the American Music Awards aired yet? I suspect their tribute will be huge.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't know who got the Grammys but I give Rhianna and Kelly Rowland the best dressed award. Worst dressed goes to Adele.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Frank Ocean got so shafted.

His album is an absolute masterpiece, was universally critically acclaimed and I can't believe it lost to the mediocre "Babel".

He hasn't won Best New Artist either.

M83 should have easily won Best Alternative Music Album. Or Fiona Apple. But Gotye? Seriously?

It's a shame "Bad Girls" or "Run Boy, Run" didn't win the best video but you have to admit that "We Found Love" is incredible.

I see Jessie Ware didn't even get nominated. :/ But I guess her music hasn't been released properly in the US iirc.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 02-14-2013 at 04:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

M83 should have easily won Best Alternative Music Album. Or Fiona Apple. But Gotye? Seriously?
    Yes seriously. The guy is a musical genius.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    I came in late on the show and just watched Taylor's opening on youtube. I don't get all the "OMG" about her. Yes, she's an excellent songwriter. but she's a mediocre singer without the benefit of vocal layering or autotuning, and she just plain sucks as a live singer. The amount of attention she got through the evening was annoying bordering on ridiculous. I'll take Kelly Clarkson's powerful voice any day over Taylor's. And Taylor, we get it, you've gone through your umpteenth boyfriend and written your 10,000th song about it, gee, I guess he was British, now wasn't he - sure you didn't want to throw in a Bostonian accent and diss the Kennedy boy at the same time???? I agree with one critic who commented that she should write songs for other instead of singing them herself, but I doubt she'll ever do that.

Loved Kelly Clarkson's tribute to Patti and Carole, and thank you, powers that be, for not having her sing "(How Much is) That Doggie in the Window...").
    I totally agree. Taylor's lyrics worked for her as a teenager but my goodness she is like 24 now right? LAME. And she is just a horrible singer. I will never forgive the Stevie Nicks duet from a few years ago. Even Stevie was giving her the side eye.

The accolades this woman receives are mind boggling. Juvenile lyrics and a very mediocre singing voice with crappy stage presence.

vCash
    Oh and I honestly think Kelly has the best voice out there today. Even compared to X-tina and Pink.

vCash
    I was happy that Kelly Clarkson, Adele and Carrie Underwood won grammys this year. They are certainly deserving winners, my only disappointments were Taylor Swift winning and that so called "performance". I was really hoping Hunter Hayes would win one out of his three nominations but he lost them all I've listened to his entire CD and it really is great music and he has a really nice, solid country voice, I would have liked to have seen him win Best New Artist but that's okay, he still has lots of time to win grammys yet. I will be seeing him in concert in May with Carrie Underwood.
    Kyle

vCash
    Kelly Clarkson's latest album was such lowest common denominator trash, lacking a semblance of creativity and originality. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Yes seriously. The guy is a musical genius.
    He's a decent, above-average musician but he's nowhere near being a genius.

Both M83 and Fiona Apple are playing in a different league.

vCash
    He's a decent, above-average musician but he's nowhere near being a genius.
    Sorry but the person who created this piece is not your above average musician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnXFJOXvL_A

I don't think there is anyone who could take what he does to put together his music. Everytime I have heard him interviewed I have just gained more and more knowledge and respect for what he does and how he does it. For me it is complex, amazing, extremely clever and inspiring.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Kelly Clarkson's latest album was such lowest common denominator trash, lacking a semblance of creativity and originality. Ugh.

I know this is entirely subjective but I almost feel like you are basing this off of one single (What Doesn't Kill You) which does fit the typical anthemic mold Kelly was known for. However, Mr. Know It All was like nothing else on radio and a huge risk as a lead single. Songs like You Love Me and Honestly were nothing like "lowest common denominator." As matter of fact, she had so many different sounds on the album that there was really a lack of radio ready singles. I think of an album as you described being full of ready to hit at radio singles, much like on a Rhianna album or Katy Perry album. Kelly had 3, maybe 4, radio potential singles and the rest were clearly hand picked by Kelly and her team with no regard to whether they fit any kind of mold.

Again, I know this is subjective and you can certainly not like the album, or even hate it, but I find the comment about being the lowest common denominator surprising. Am I interpreting the meaning of that differently than you are, perhaps?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Despite the references to Nietzsche and Einstein, which suggest a cachet Stronger doesn't deserve, this is simply an overlong string of standard putdown R&B and bogus emotional turmoil, the songs blitzed with generic power-ballad overkill. And while one can at least admire other singers' technical accomplishments, there's no narrative development in Clarkson's delivery, just a switching back and forth between plaintive verses and overwrought choruses, and utilising the same irritating "breathless" vocal tic that has become one of modern pop's more irritating affectations.
    This pretty much sums it up.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I read that 3 times and I still hardly understand what it is saying. I guess I don't look (listen) so deeply into music, at least not pop music. It either sounds good to me or doesn't. Maybe I am lucky to be so simple, haha.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast