Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

vCash
    @Sasha'sSpins

Yes, all of Nagasu, Gao, Zawadzki, Hicks and Gold are just teenagers. We are really asking a lot from those who are still quite young.

And to add to the skaters who took more time to mature: Maria Butirskaya and Carolina Kostner. Both won their World Championships when they were well into their '20s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    That is such a big if, though. A super-sized colossal one. Kwan did Salome at 15. Cohen was 17 at the 2002 Olympics. Kim was 17 and Asada was 18 in Vancouver. Yet somehow, Gold is so very young and needs all this time to develop something beyond the jumps?
    Of course it's a big if. I even said it was a big if. But who ever said she is very young and needs time to develop beyond the jumps? I must have missed that quote. Some people are late bloomers ( at the idea of Gracie being a late bloomer. Only in skating...and gymnastics) and with the age rules firmly in place for some time now, we aren't going to see as many young wonders racing to the senior level as we once did. Imagine if Akiko Suzuki had given up as as a teenager because people didn't want to wait for her to develop when she was a teen.
    Last edited by fenway2; 02-13-2013 at 12:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Can you guarantee that?! You seem so sure of this happening.....
    Did you miss the word MIGHT in Jammers quote?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Re that photo - wow! I would love to see THAT Christina in competition..
    I agree. Isn't Gao gorgeous?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosha View Post
    @ fenway 2

If Agnes were to gain consistency, and skate both problems cleanly as planned or nearly so, would you still not want her on a U.S. Olympic or World team?
    Agnes is not my favorite skater but I would never want anyone denied a spot on the Olympic or World team if they earned it.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I agree. Isn't Gao gorgeous?
    Except the day she skated her long at US nationals. Too much powder

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Except the day she skated her long at US nationals. Too much powder
    her makeup was a bit severe and drag queen-ish, but her dress was spectacular!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Wagner's tweet on Feb. 7:
    "To whoever just stole my laundry basket, I have a very special set of skills...they just have nothing to do with getting my basket back.."

ETA that Maia Shibutani tweeted this female group photo from the Four Continents closing banquet yesterday:
    "I miss these girls already! @christina_gao @agneszawadzki @GraceEGold #4CC2013" http://pic.twitter.com/xx2eYDd4
    Wow, never realized how much Gracie looks like Regina George until I saw that photo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosha View Post
    @Sasha'sSpins

Yes, all of Nagasu, Gao, Zawadzki, Hicks and Gold are just teenagers. We are really asking a lot from those who are still quite young.

And to add to the skaters who took more time to mature: Maria Butirskaya and Carolina Kostner. Both won their World Championships when they were well into their '20s.
    This is what gives me hope for the aforementioned American young ladies. Imo I think Mirai if she so chooses could keep right on improving past Sochi. Hicks, and Gold aren't doing it for me artistically but then neither did Michelle Kwan when she first stepped into the national spotlight. I saw a kid with tons of talent, pretty good basics but it wasn't til 1995 that she really blew me away. It was like night and day. Sure, she was in her mid-teens but skaters as you said like Butyrskaya and Kostner persevered and had their greatest success well into their 20's. And at the moment the top three expected to battle it out for gold are all well in their 20's now - Kim, Asada, and Kostner. I'd throw in Akiko who's what 27? if she should get the scores she deserves should she hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Granted, I have only seen her in four competitions, but I don't see anything amazing. Or regal. Or even potentially interesting. Maybe that will change but right now, she's just another jumping bean to me.
    I see nothing regal in Gracie either. Agreed, just another jumping bean BUT I do think there is potential for improvement elsewhere. The international judges seem to see it because even when she doesn't skate well she's getting pretty decent PCS scores. With lots and lots of work, better music, choreo, maturity which takes time, who knows? For the moment the only skaters from the 'new' generation, post 2010, that have really grabbed me are the Russians. And Lijun Li.

vCash
    I have to say I love all the passive-aggressive comments about Gold, such as: "I'm really trying to understand what's so appealing about her skating" or "I really want to like her skating," etc. Do you really? Are you really working hard to like her skating? Because you know what? It's totally okay if you don't, I mean don't worry about it, nobody should ever have to work or strain to enjoy a skater or their skating. Just don't like them and don't like their skating, it's totally cool.

vCash
    Why can't all the Caitlins spell their flippin' names the same way? The fans need regularized spelling in this sport!
    This is the greatest post in the history of FSU.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ETA that Maia Shibutani tweeted this female group photo from the Four Continents closing banquet yesterday:
    "I miss these girls already! @christina_gao @agneszawadzki @GraceEGold #4CC2013" http://pic.twitter.com/xx2eYDd4
    Re that photo - wow! I would love to see THAT Christina in competition. There's no rule that only dance ladies can wear their hair down, is there?
    You wanna see Christina skate with her hair down, he he, here it is: (although not as a curly-haired temptress)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHOBoljaCgA at Verner's muscular legs

I think I read or heard somewhere that Christina Gao thinks of herself as a goofy nerd. She's young yet and still getting to know herself and trying to feel comfortable in her own skin. She is definitely beautiful and smart and a very talented skater. I'm sure she will grow into more womanly roles and regal, confident presentations on the ice. Ditto for Gracie and Agnes. As already mentioned, look how long Carolina Kostner has been on the scene before truly coming into her own last season. It also took AshleyW awhile, and now she's skating with more confidence and womanly maturity.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-13-2013 at 04:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    I have to say I love all the passive-aggressive comments about Gold, such as: "I'm really trying to understand what's so appealing about her skating" or "I really want to like her skating," etc. Do you really? Are you really working hard to like her skating? Because you know what? It's totally okay if you don't, I mean don't worry about it, nobody should ever have to work or strain to enjoy a skater or their skating. Just don't like them and don't like their skating, it's totally cool.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to like a skater's style since so many others seem to but not quite 'getting' it. Why should anyone have to 'work hard' to like someone's skating? Either they will or they won't. Either way I don't see why this should be a problem for you. For my own part I like Gracie very much and had high hopes for her this season which didn't pan out-so far. When she's on, she's got great jumps. I don't like Gracie's performance quality but that might come in time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post

I'm really trying to be excited for her and cheer her on but as of now I'm just annoyed with her. Huge jumps are great but when they're delivered in a generic shell of a program with zero to connection to the bad music she's skating to, I feel let down and then really angry and confused b/c the media then proceeds to wax poetic about how marvelous and wonderful she is and how she's a star! Plus, I'd probably lay off of her some if she actually had some consistent skating to back up all of this praise but her skating has been sporadic all season long. She is 100% hit or miss right now.

I'm sorry to have a mini rant and I'm not trying to pick at her; I'm honestly trying to understand. I want to like her and, seeing as how NBC and USFSA has anointed her as the "golden child" something tells me I need to start liking her. But given her current level of skating and what she's managed to do this season, I'm hardly impressed and still wondering what makes Gracie Gold so great and worthy of this all this praise and attention?

Maybe somebody who actually gets it can help me understand...
    Will it make you feel any less angry, confused annoyed if I tell you really don't need to like Gold. NBC tells me a lot of things but I usually take it with a grain of salt.

Either you admire Gold's jumping ability, speed, power and potential or you don't. It sounds like she simply isn't your cup of tea. The beauty of skating is that there are skaters with many different styles and you aren't required to like someone if you don't want to. Goodness knows there are skaters who I simply don't get, and that's fine. I watch those that I do like and move on.

vCash
    ^^ Sounds like wise advice, Mayra.

Why can't all the Caitlins spell their flippin' names the same way? The fans need regularized spelling in this sport!

But then, some fans would bit*h about not being able to tell which one is being talked about. Kaetlyn, Kaitlyn, Caitlin ... what's so hard about that? It's not like any of us are trying to win a Spelling Bee. Plenty of posters will point out the respective correct spellings.

ITA! Lay off Gracie, alright already. What with the overly enthralled, the not so enthralled, and the overly confused, nothing Gracie ever does will be enough to please. Some people still don't get what makes Michelle Kwan's skating so special. To each their own. Wake up and smell the roses. Like who you like. Be tolerant of who you don't get and/ or can't stand.

ETA:
    Another thing fans might consider is trying to separate out the hype and the claptrap from the young girl Gracie actually is -- I hope it will be possible for Gracie to navigate the murky waters and focus on what matters while not allowing the gushing ignorant media and the clueless among USFS to turn her head in such a way that it detracts from her growing as a skater, learning how to own who she really is, and bringing that to the ice regardless of the hype mongers and the naysayers.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 02-13-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Title-less
    vCash
    Gold is certainly no artist, but when she is on, her movements are...eye-pleasing. Big jumps, big skating, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Except the day [Gao] skated her long at US nationals. Too much powder
    ??

...all the passive-aggressive comments about Gold, such as: "I'm really trying to understand what's so appealing about her skating" or "I really want to like her skating," etc. Do you really? Are you really working hard to like her skating? Because you know what? It's totally okay if you don't, I mean don't worry about it, nobody should ever have to work or strain to enjoy a skater or their skating. Just don't like them and don't like their skating, it's totally cool.
    I agree...if you have to so-called "try to like" a skater, they just may not be your cup of tea and that's perfectly fine...

vCash
    Haha, im totally ok with not liking Gracies skating, especially her cheer leader arms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Haha, im totally ok with not liking Gracies skating, especially her cheer leader arms.
    I can't decide if the 'ta da' arms are more because of the choreography she's been given thus far?

vCash
    fenway2-- Thank you!

Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast