Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    hmm, im bored of Romeo and Juliet programs, but hopefully Ashley will make it somewhat memorable. I hate Swan Lake but actually found hers quite decent.
    Actually, it's been quite a while since someone skated to the Prokofiev version, which I find much less insipid and certainly less overused than Tchaikovsky or Rota. Could be awesome.

vCash
    Interview with Angela Wang: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    Icenetwork.com: Your new short program is "A Beautiful Storm" by Jennifer Thomas. What about your free skate?

Wang: I'm skating to Nights in the Gardens of Spain by Manuel de Falla.

... I've been working extremely hard with my choreographers, Tom Dickson and Catarina Lindgren, and coaches to bring out some personality in my skating. Our main goal is to capture an audience through my skating skills and the program as a whole -- not just the jumps alone.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Interview with Angela Wang: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    Consistency is the only thing missing from Angela's skating IMO. She has all 5 triples including a gorgeous 3lz-3t. Her spins are decent, her skating skills are solid, and she carries so much speed through her jumps. In addition to the technical side she's got a lovely smooth style to her skating. I definitely see that "ooze" quality Lori coined for Michelle.

Of all of these newer US ladies, Angela is by far my favorite and the one I'm most excited about. Gracie and Courtney are all jumps...Angela has jumps in addition to artistry. Consistency has been her downfall these last two seasons, especially in the SP. She's had some very strong FS over the past few seasons but her SP jitters often take her out of it. If she can get herself more consistent in her SPs, she'd be very tough to ignore and the judges would have to take notice of her.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her. I think she's going to be a front-runner for the US ladies in this next quad...

vCash
    Liberty Summer Competition summary of the top U.S. senior ladies (additional info is posted in the Liberty thread in Kiss and Cry):

Samantha Cesario won the Senior Ladies SP (57.05), landing 3Lo+3Lo<, 3F, 2A, in debuting a sultry program to "Fever": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nosf97iFoQM
    Her "Titanic" FS debut did not go as well and she finished 4th in that part of the competition.

Ashley Cain won the Senior Ladies FS (102.78), landing 5 triples - she kept her "Ave Maria" FS from last season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmVGNlplZow
    It was a nice recovery from her 6th place SP finish due to a boot problem that interrupted her program for several minutes.

Yasmin Siraj skated her Junior programs in Senior Ladies (she placed 3rd in both SP & FS) in preparation for the JGP. Her new SP is to Delibes' "Flower Duet" and she kept her last season's "Seven Years in Tibet" FS.

IceNetwork's recap article of the Senior Ladies at Liberty: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-23-2013 at 07:31 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I wasn't sure what that Pink Floyd song that Ashley is doing sounded like, so I looked it up. It's the same piece that Sandra Izbasa used for her floor exercise music last year at the Olympics; quite voidy! I liked it. I'm sure Ashley will do something fabulous with it.
    Sandra Izbasa's version of that song was amazing and I am so excited to see what Ashley will do with it. I'm interested to see what will happen with R&J considering that most people immediately associate it with Sasha Cohen, and Ashley and Sasha have a vastly different skating style.

vCash
    Gold, Zawadzki, Hicks and Cesario have been assigned to the Salt Lake Senior B - see this GSD thread for more info: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3961625

Re-posting these comments from the SLC competition thread in Kiss and Cry to here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    To me this is the biggest hint that Hicks will NOT return to the JGP and will instead probably get SA since this competition is right in the middle of JGP season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    I have been told that she [Hicks] will not return to the JGP this season.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-23-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: To add comment

Title-less
    vCash
    I'm excited that Hicks is doing senior internationally this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I'm excited that Hicks is doing senior internationally this season.
    Yes! Also, glad to see four U.S. Ladies competitors at Salt Lake City Senior B. (Could not understand why USFS didn't send more Ladies competitors last year?)

vCash
    The US senior B will likely decide who between Cesario or Hicks would get the Skate America TBA spot. Ideally I wish they would both get some other fall internationals and save the Skate America TBA spot for Czisny who probably needs more time to prepare. Slim chances I know, but still. Alternatively, I hope Czisny would regain her form soon enough to be sent to some fall internationals herself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Gold, Zawadzki, Hicks and Cesario have been assigned to the Salt Lake Senior B - see this GSD thread for more info: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3961625
    WOW It's going to be a tough competition. I'm thrilled.

vCash
    Interesting point - Czisny is recovering from injury which is probably keeping her from any Summer comps that she would need to prove herself for the TBA spot at SA. Now, she's precluded from the SL Senior B due to the choice of Hicks and Cesario. Will she be well enough to do something like Nebelhorn or Ondrej Nepela in September? If not, there is no chance for that TBA spot.

She would probably have to go to something like Ice Challenge or Golden Spin to prove herself in time for Nationals in January. Her road is a lot narrower than I would've thought.

vCash
    I think because Czisny has received much generous support from USFS over the years, I'd really rather see Hicks or Cesario get the TBA at Skate America. JMO, obviously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    Sandra Izbasa's version of that song was amazing and I am so excited to see what Ashley will do with it. I'm interested to see what will happen with R&J considering that most people immediately associate it with Sasha Cohen, and Ashley and Sasha have a vastly different skating style.
    Sasha and pretty much every other lady skater skated to the film score R&J. Ashley is skating to the Prokofiev ballet score. Totally different so I don't think a comparison will hold much water. I just hope Ashley doesn't use that horribly ponderous Dance of the Knights section that keeps turning up in skating programs.

vCash
    From twitter a link to Gracie Gold's LP (skated at Skate Milwaukee).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Thanks for posting. Here's the link back to Coco's first-hand report from earlier this month: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3955138

Curiously curious
    vCash
    Beat me to it. The vid quality was fuelling me with nerd rage, though .

vCash
    For such a dramatic opening, the ending was kind of anti-climatic. Still, I am glad she is taking the Anna Rechnio style instead of the Angela Nikodinov one. Especially with this camera angle, she seems to be filling up the ice wonderfully and effortlessly which I think is her biggest asset besides her jumps.

She still needs a lot of polishing up. She seems to be holding her moves longer than last season in the choreo sequence but it still looks rushed through and incomplete. Love the splits in both directions though (please stretch more!).

vCash
    I thought her jumps looked great, as did her spins. I'm glad they chose more powerful sections of the piece, but agree about the ending being a bit anti-climactic. I can't wait to see it at the Skating Classic in Salt Lake! (Even if it is on IN! )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    For such a dramatic opening, the ending was kind of anti-climatic. Still, I am glad she is taking the Anna Rechnio style instead of the Angela Nikodinov one. Especially with this camera angle, she seems to be filling up the ice wonderfully and effortlessly which I think is her biggest asset besides her jumps.

She still needs a lot of polishing up. She seems to be holding her moves longer than last season in the choreo sequence but it still looks rushed through and incomplete. Love the splits in both directions though (please stretch more!).
    It's only July so I'm reserving judgment, at least until I can see it in (much) better quality.

vCash
    ^Thanks to the person who took the video, but I needed a telescope LOL

Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast