Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    I have some skaters that I dislike(d), or that I simply don't enjoy whatsoever, but I don't ever remember laughing when they fell or making fun of them, etc. However, in the heat of the moment (perhaps they won a competition with a mistake-ridden performance, for example) I may have said some "not so nice" things.
    Well, you are a much better person than me, and I'm fine with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Shafted? I think she was scored extremely generously in the short (thanks to a great Worlds placement the season before, some solid GP results and entering the comp as the US Champ) and should never have beaten Nagasu, Kostner, Elene G, Lepisto and even Makarova in that segment.

I feel like she was placed exactly where she deserved in the free and was nowhere 5 points better in PCS than Leonova and Makarova (I think they all should have been around the same in that area) and especially Korpi. I actually would have had her closer to the bottom of the top ten overall, barely beating Korpi who bombed the short.

I guess she did get the job done at the Olympics in terms of doing the best she could - she did attempt all the triples and stood up on them, but she just wasn't that good even when she got the job done.
    Yes, she was a merely above-average skater...but at the same time, the Olympics were probably the one competition where I think she should have scored higher. Particularly in the FS.

At the same time, IMO she didn't deserve the National championship that year (that was Nagasu's) so I guess things even out in the end

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Meissner was 10 times the better skater though. She had solid basics and good musicality.

Flatt... well.. was just 'flat' and skated like 'the rock'. And for the 3 Worlds and 1 Olympics she attended, she only got the job done at 2009 Worlds really and was outskated by her teammate at the other three events. As far as her own medaling is concerned, she never won any GPs, or medalled at GPF or 4CCs, let alone Worlds and Olympics so in hindsight I don't think she really got the job done in an absolute sense. She got the job done more so than other US girls in 2009 and 2010 though. But it's more of a testament to the low standard within that period than a testament to her achievement. How she was scored in 2011 onwards (i.e. no more political pull behind her) was probably a more accurate reflection of how judges saw her skating.
    Meissner's jumps were worse than Flatt's however. Flatt in her prime could do a rotated 3f-3t, whereas Meissner's 3-3s were blatant toeaxels that were pre-rotated on the takeoff and short on the landing. She would have been destroyed under the IJS the way it is today, be the American equivalent of Satoko Miyahara. Kimmie was lucky to be skating so well before the scrutiny over URs got really strict, because hers were very apparent and that toe axel would not have flied under the current system. In terms of basics and speed, yes she was better than Flatt, but technically she was not. Flatt also never fell 3+ times in a FS like Meissner was frequently doing toward the end of her career.

vCash
    Even when Flatt landed her jumps they were always kind of messy with the entrance with very little flow out and not that much height. Yes she rarely fell but you were never that impressed even when she skated clean.
    Last edited by Jammers; 06-06-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    It's Ashley turn to make a trip to Nike's headquarters in Oregon - she tweeted this photo earlier today:
    "Oh you know, just an elephant shoe...#justmysize #nike" http://instagram.com/p/aOaa5HCr80/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Vanessa Lam began her season at the All Year FSC Open in Ontario, Calif. last weekend and scored a total of 161.81 total (highest club comp. total score among all the ladies so far):
    51.34 (SP): http://allyearfsc.com/wp-content/upl.../06/SEG011.htm
    110.47 (FS): http://allyearfsc.com/wp-content/upl.../06/SEG012.htm (ETA: hearsay info is that she landed 6 clean triples in her FS, plus 2A+2A (fall) in sequence)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-07-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Even when Flatt landed her jumps they were always kind of messy with the entrance with very little flow out and not that much height. Yes she rarely fell but you were never that impressed even when she skated clean.
    Rachael had odd technique on her lutz (a weird kind of rocking entrance) but her jumps were good...average but good. I disagree about the flow thing though...I've seen skaters with a lot less flow out of jumps. She usually carried a decent amount of speed out of her jumps and I was very appreciative of the way she checked out of her landings (good extension of the free leg). I do agree about the lack of excitement when she skated cleanly. There was something about her that just didn't excite me.

But from 2007/8 through 2010, she was an excellent skater when it came to hitting her jumps and getting the job done.

I definitely agree with Pinky re: Rachael vs Kimmie. Kimmie did have a pre-rotated toe axel and nearly all of her 3-3s especially after 2006 were cheated. Rachael had her faults but she was a solid technician where it counted. I can't say the same thing for Kimmie.

vCash
    Yet, one has a world championship while the "solid technician" has no medal at all.

In this sport, timing is EVERYTHING...

vCash
    ^^Very true...very true indeed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Vanessa Lam began her season at the All Year FSC Open in Ontario, Calif. last weekend and scored a total of 161.81 total (highest club comp. total score among all the ladies so far):
    51.34 (SP): http://allyearfsc.com/wp-content/upl.../06/SEG011.htm
    110.47 (FS): http://allyearfsc.com/wp-content/upl.../06/SEG012.htm (ETA: hearsay info is that she landed 6 clean triples in her FS, plus 2A+2A (fall) in sequence)
    Nice score, but this looks like the 3rd year in a row where she begins the season gangbusters in the Summer competitions, and then .......

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Vanessa Lam skated really well at Sectionals last November (her 177.73 total score at Pacific Coasts was the highest score by a large margin of all the Nationals qualifiers, including Cesario), so it was a shame she missed Nationals due to injury. I'm glad to hear that her new season is off to a good start, especially since she's likely vying with many candidates for a JGP spot.

Ashley Wagner tweeted earlier today that she is headed to Toronto -- I assume for choreography with either Shae Lynn Bourne or David Wilson.

vCash
    Are Lam's jumps still tiny?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Are Lam's jumps still tiny?
    Unless she's grown (unlikely considering she turns 18 in a week), I would assume yes. Also if she's doing 6 triples and 2a-2a in sequence, that also likely means no 3-3 and no 3s. I like her spins and flexibility, and really enjoyed her Artist FS program last season, but I do have doubts whether she can really break through at Nationals or internationally on the senior level if her jumps stay so small and/or she doesn't up her technical ante. Her PCS have never been very high internationally so she needs to find another way to rack up the points to make it to the top. Also, Lam might be opting to compete as a senior this season instead, and if so could be given senior Bs and considered for the SA spot. This wouldn't surprise me actually, as it would explain why she is competing so early in the summer and is already in such good form. With her injury and missing Nationals, good summer results could help her case to get international assignments this fall, be it JGPs, Senior Bs, or Skate America.

vCash
    Don't know if this might have been discussed in the Who's dating who thread, but johndockley has teased (in another thread) that Gracie "has a thing going on with one of the U.S. men." If true, not surprising, but I wonder who the guy might be.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Old news. Gracie Gold sent Max Aaron cupcakes for his birthday back in February and Max shared her computer-printed (store-generated?) note on his Instagram.

vCash
    ^^ Thx -- thought I might be behind the news/ gossip curve on this one. Cupcakes ... Yum!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Thanks to Ashley who confirmed via Twitter yesterday which choreographer she's working with in Toronto :
    "Day two of choreo finished up! So great working with the lovely David Wilson #exhausted"

vCash
    ^^ I'm looking forward to seeing Ashley's Shae-Lynn choreographed sp, and her lp with choreo by David Wilson. Better yet, when will she reveal her music choices, and what costumes will she come up with?

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Old news. Gracie Gold sent Max Aaron cupcakes for his birthday back in February and Max shared her computer-printed (store-generated?) note on his Instagram.
    Weird how in the regular world, this kind of gesture would be romantic. But in the skating world, it's always "friendly." Everyone is just in a big old friendly gang.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    USFS tweeted this "Throwback Thursday" video today:
    "#TBT Alissa Czisny's winning 2001 U.S. Championships free skate as a junior." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8OLyiFslCw
    Alissa was 13 years old when she won her first National medal (silver) at her first Nationals in Boston. She skated to music from Gounod's Faust ballet. Her twin sister Amber finished 5th in the same event.

ETA that I posted a new interview with Rachael Flatt in her thread in GSD two days ago: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3937807
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-14-2013 at 01:21 AM.

Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast