Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    vCash
    ^^ She seems to be taking "the squeeze" in stride. I wish Ashley well and I hope she enjoys every moment of her Olympic season.

What music do people feel would work for her?

vCash
    Somebody could make her a stunning program to Franck's Violin Sonata. It is full of gorgeous melodies and different tempi, and would challenge her to be beautiful and expressive, in a modern way. It's from the 1880s but still has a modern edge. The intimacy of chamber music could draw people in. If she used it, she should wear a very simple dress and not try to overpower the judges with her outfit. Vera Wang could be nice if she still has it. (Remembering Evan's snakes, I wonder.... oh my gosh, those snakes take on a whole new meaning in light of recent events.) Quick, back to Ashley....

vCash
    WOW! Interesting combination of choreographers and coaching. I think she is going to kick a$$ this year. She is incredibly focused, and can remain a bit under the radar. IMO that will work in her favor.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Give the girl credit, she's stepping up and saying she wants this, will work her butt off to get it, and the buck stops here. I admire that. No excuses, no finger pointing, no wishy-washiness. I wish other ladies had that kind of fighting spirit (*coughMiraicough*).

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Polina Edmunds will be the local guest star performing in the "Ice Dreams" show at the Oakland (Calif.) Ice Center on Sunday, June 2nd at 3:30 pm. - related photos, tweets, etc. will likely be posted in the Weir/Ice Dreams event thread in GSD.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Ashley Wagner reveals that her Olympic season choreographers will be Shae-Lynn Bourne (SP) and David Wilson (FS) in this May 28 article: http://www.teamusa.org/News/2013/Jan...ey-Wagner.aspx
    TeamUSA.org #RoadtoSochi interview video (~4 mins): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exWLYCN7xMo
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    Give the girl credit, she's stepping up and saying she wants this, will work her butt off to get it, and the buck stops here. I admire that. No excuses, no finger pointing, no wishy-washiness. I wish other ladies had that kind of fighting spirit (*coughMiraicough*).
    I am very glad she admitted she tried the 3/3 too late last season. She really needs to committ to trying it at every competition next season.

But then again Kwan had been saying she needed to up the ante for years. Instead, she went down the ante as the years went on (but then of course she was injured).

Title-less
    vCash
    I think part of it is that YuNa and Kostner came back midseason, which might have affected the effectiveness of Ashley's game plan. Without those two, she probably would have medalled at worlds without a 3-3

vCash
    Actually it was announced well before that Kim and Kostner would be at Worlds and they both had 3/3s. And Asada was on a roll that season. Wagner must have known that she needed the 3/3 to break into top three. Leaving out the 3/3s in the GPs was OK - she wasn't facing big competition and she turned out to be winning with big margins anyway. But leaving them out of GPF and Nationals is not so smart.

In any event, she didn't have a great season after the GPs anyway - her falls at GPF and Nationals can't be blamed on them. And falling on footwork?! If she had the 3/3 she could have had more cushion against Murakami. The whole second half of the season must have countered most of the PCS advantage she gained over her GP wins.

Title-less
    vCash
    Well, no one knew for sure what competitive shape Kostner and Yu Na was in until they competed mid season (and they both turned out to be in great shape mentally and physically to medal)

vCash
    Well it wouldn't be smart to just count on others to falter in order to medal. If she was armed with the 3/3 she would have much more cushion against her competition.

vCash
    Seems to me Wagner was taking the MK "play it safe" approach...and while it was good enough to remain top 5 in the world, it backfired massively if she was hoping to sneak in for a medal. Heck, she said it herself better in that interview than I ever could.

vCash
    ^^^Interesting assertions about Ashley's game plan.

Ashley went to the Japan Open and topped Mao there, then went on to win both her GP assignments by quite a healthy margin minus the 3-3 or the 2x-3t, beating the likes of Tuk and Lipnitskaya by healthy margins. While I think it was obvious to all that once Yu Na stepped on the ice competitively in December that she was the favorite, having beaten Mao at the Japan Open and Carolina's slow start at Golden Spin probably gave Team Wagner some hope of being a key medal hopeful for Worlds. Even at the GPF, Mao and Ashley were pretty even during the SP.

However, I'm not sure Team Wagner counted on Mao and Carolina really taking off around the holidays (Carolina at ITA Nationals), at the same time Ashley started to experience various problems (bad fall - hip pointer; strategic error in overcommitting to shows, etc.) which hindered her performances at Nationals (a point in time when she herself should've been taking off in terms of training and performance!).

At any rate, her head sounds like it's screwed on straight, especially in regards to the 3-3. IMO, she should try for a 3f-3t, but maybe keep a 3-3 sequence in her back pocket. She was doing a 3l - 2x sequence late in her LP. She could up the ante by going for a 3l-3t sequence in the second half, gain points with a sequence the way Rochette used to. I'm not sure if she could do a 2x-3t and 3f-3t. Maybe just concentrate on one hard combo to save time and concentration (someone brought that up earlier in another thread).

vCash
    I'm not a skater, but in reference to what Olympic said above about a 3l/3t, it is my understanding that putting a toe after a loop is more difficult than after a flip because of the sharper curve on the landing of the loop. Is there a skater who can confirm or explain that?
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    “I think that last season, I waited too long for the triple-triple,” she said. “By the time it came around to do it in competition, I crumbled under pressure. I am not going to allow myself to do that this season.”
    Well obviously! Last season I predicted that. You can't just pull something out at the last minute without practicing it.

vCash
    I think something like this would work for her:

SP:

3flip3toe, 3loop, 2axel

LP:

3flip3toe, 3lutz, 3flip, 3loop2toe2loop, 3loop, 3sal, 2axel - 2axel

This way she would only have one big trick to focus on.

vCash
    I think getting 3 spots for the US ladies at the Olympics was a bigger focus for Ashley for the entire last season than winning a world medal was. Maybe she skated more conservatively with that pressure in mind.

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    I think getting 3 spots for the US ladies at the Olympics was a bigger focus for Ashley for the entire last season than winning a world medal was. Maybe she skated more conservatively with that pressure in mind.
    I can't imagine anyone on Ashley's mind but herself or maybe you mean that she was focusing on getting herself three chances at the Olympic team.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    I can't imagine anyone on Ashley's mind but herself or maybe you mean that she was focusing on getting herself three chances at the Olympic team.
    I think you're right. She missed 2010 Olympics because she placed 3rd at Nats. I think she may have been afraid of the same thing happening next year and really wanted to make sure that didn't happen again. At least now, she has a bit more breathing room.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    I think you're right. She missed 2010 Olympics because she placed 3rd at Nats. I think she may have been afraid of the same thing happening next year and really wanted to make sure that didn't happen again. At least now, she has a bit more breathing room.

Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast