Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

vCash
    According to her twitter, Ashley Cain will compete at the Broadmoor Open next month.

I'm looking forward to seeing who else will compete there. Polina Edmunds has gone for the past couple of years.

vCash
    I thinbk it's obvious that US Ladies are in a much better position post Sochi then in the last 2 Olympic games especially in terms of depth. After 2006 with Kwan and Sasha retired you had Kimmie and Emily and that's it. After Vancouver you had Mirai, Rachael and Ashley but now after Sochi even if Ashley and Mirai retire you have Gracie, Agnes, Gao, Hicks, Wang and Edmunds just to start with.

vCash
    Too soon to tell. We don't know how many will flame out early.

How many suspected in 2006 that Meissner/Hughes (promising up-and-comers at the time) would fail to be relevant in just two short years?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Courtney Hicks has overcome a lot to get her jumps back after breaking her leg! (this in and of itself deserved a huge fluff piece on TV, IMHO, unless I missed something) Think she was on the way to becoming USFS's next anointed one until she broke her leg.....& her jumps are huge!!

Angela Wang has big, powerful jump combinations, and lots of star power, so I guess both she and Hicks could be considered dark horses in the race at US Nationals next year.
    Hicks and Wang are both great talents but they don't have the star appeal of Edmunds IMO. Polina just has that personality that's infectious, and she has the hard jumps plus great spins, lines, and already is pretty strong artistically for one so young. She's had lots of dance training and it shows, she's very graceful even while being all limbs.

Courtney to me really needs to work on becoming more graceful and artistic, to me she sometimes seems like a bull in a china shop, the explosive jumps and power cannot be ignored, but until she learns to control them, her skating is still a bit clunky and all over the place for my liking. When she won the junior title she seemed to have more star quality and verve so maybe it's just a matter of time until that comes back, but in the meantime, I feel like it would just help her to breathe and take her time with the elements so everything doesn't come off as rushed, frenetic, and sometimes sloppy.

Wang is a very well-rounded skater and she has great jump technique and nice artistry too. I guess the biggest thing is I find her a bit boring. If she can overcome her SP demons, I think she could do very well. Her spins and lines aren't the best though, I think probably because she's not as flexible as some of the other girls. And she's also an introverted performer, so I think her artistry maybe gets overlooked a lot because it's subtle. Her body type is also working against her, not in terms of weight, just in that she's short with short legs that don't fully straighten, so the effect of the spins and spirals isn't as wow as someone like Polina. But that's just minor, it shouldn't hold her back much. The consistency is what needs to be addressed as well as projecting to the audience more. If she's naturally shy, that might make things tougher, but I think a good choreographer could bring some distinct personality out of her.

vCash
    Judging my Gracie's twitter it looks like she was signed by Nike. Very nice for her!

Did I miss the announcement?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Judging my Gracie's twitter it looks like she was signed by Nike. Very nice for her!

Did I miss the announcement?
    See my earlier post in this thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3927329
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Should have known you'd be on it Sylvia!

Also probably should have read through some of the thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Hicks and Wang are both great talents but they don't have the star appeal of Edmunds IMO. Polina just has that personality that's infectious, and she has the hard jumps plus great spins, lines, and already is pretty strong artistically for one so young. She's had lots of dance training and it shows, she's very graceful even while being all limbs.
    I agree. Some posters feel she is too young, or too "new", but IMHO I feel that if she outskates the faves, she should win. I disagree with the wait your turn attitude from the judges.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    At this point, the second highest known Senior Ladies FS score of the early club competition season is by Panthers FSC's Franchesca Chiera (96.01) with 4 clean triples landed: 3Lz+2T, 3F+2T, 3Lz<, 3F, 3Lo+2Lo+2Lo<, 2A, 1S. Chiera, who will turn 16 in October and is coached by Artem Torgashev and Ilona Melnichenko in Coral Springs, Florida, had placed 5th in a competitive field of Novice Ladies at 2013 South Atlantic Regionals in October 2012. Her Senior FS at the Florida Open in early April was to Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts8Y3GxZR5o
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-25-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post

How many suspected in 2006 that Meissner/Hughes (promising up-and-comers at the time) would fail to be relevant in just two short years?
    Well, Kimmie was a surprise being WC, but I never thought Emily was relevant for anything other than assisting with 3 spots. Which is great in hindsight LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post

But beyond Kimmie there were no other US Ladies who had accomplished much of anything heading into 2007. And there is much more depth now then 2007. For that matter there is also more depth then in the 2010 Olympic year.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    But beyond Kimmie there were no other US Ladies who had accomplished much of anything heading into 2007. And there is much more depth now then 2007. For that matter there is also more depth then in the 2010 Olympic year.
    Not entirely true. Both Katy Taylor and Be Be Liang were 4CC medalists.

Plus Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu, Ashley Wagner, and Rachel Flatt were coming up and supposed to challenge Mao and Yu-Na.

We all know how that turned out.

You never know what will happen.

And what do you mean by "much of anything?"

IMO, Wang, Miller, Caesario, etc haven't accomplished "much of anything" either.

vCash
    ^ Precisely.

Excluding Nagasu, the only US women that have SOME sort of significant (international) accomplishment are Wagner and Gold. Gao would probably be the next step down, but she hasn't even been to worlds.

And remember, among the entire US field there exist zero world medals. Still highly unusual for American ladies...we are not out of this slump yet, although getting the 3rd spot back "seems" to be a step in the right direction...
    Last edited by RD; 05-25-2013 at 05:54 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    I agree. Some posters feel she is too young, or too "new", but IMHO I feel that if she outskates the faves, she should win. I disagree with the wait your turn attitude from the judges.
    I think so too. She has all the tricks. Her artistry and component aspects are there, perhaps not with the maturity of some of the other skaters, but I don't think that should necessarily hold her back. Mirai won in 2008 when she was 14. I think Polina could feasibly come in 3rd at Nationals this season and might even deserve to win if she hits it out of the park. I know I'm in the minority, but to me, she's really that good, already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I think so too. She has all the tricks. Her artistry and component aspects are there, perhaps not with the maturity of some of the other skaters, but I don't think that should necessarily hold her back. Mirai won in 2008 when she was 14. I think Polina could feasibly come in 3rd at Nationals this season and might even deserve to win if she hits it out of the park. I know I'm in the minority, but to me, she's really that good, already.
    ... Is this just like your love for Christina a couple seasons back?... Polina has potential, but her time has not come yet. She isn't mature enough, nor consistent enough yet.

vCash
    I think a big factor for Edmunds in this coming season is going to be how consistently she can fully rotate her jumps. Last season she was impressively consistent in terms of landing her jumps in competition, but her scores varied within a large range for "clean" programs. If she can skate as well as she has been with squeaky-clean content, who's to say she can't medal at nationals? I still think she's a darkhorse, and will be going into nationals with no senior international experience, but she could be a contender.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    I think a big factor for Edmunds in this coming season is going to be how consistently she can fully rotate her jumps. Last season she was impressively consistent in terms of landing her jumps in competition, but her scores varied within a large range for "clean" programs. If she can skate as well as she has been with squeaky-clean content, who's to say she can't medal at nationals? I still think she's a darkhorse, and will be going into nationals with no senior international experience, but she could be a contender.
    Yes this is what I'm trying to say. Polina's URs come and go, certainly, with a bunch of URs, Polina is unlikely to wind up anywhere near the US Nationals podium, nor does she deserve to, HOWEVER, if she can land her content cleanly with no URs, I do think she could do quite well, for reasons I already mentioned (hard jump content, strong spins and lines, lots of dance training, speed across the ice, and that personality that draws you in). If Polina can start rotating her jumps consistently and keep up the other aspects of her skating, then I do think that would show she is "there" enough to compete with the big girls already. Whether this happens this coming season we will have to wait and see.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Ashley Wagner reveals that her Olympic season choreographers will be Shae-Lynn Bourne (SP) and David Wilson (FS) in this May 28 article: http://www.teamusa.org/News/2013/Jan...ey-Wagner.aspx
    Excerpts:
    “I’m always annoyingly close to a medal,” Wagner said. “For me, I think the difference is the triple-triple. It sets people apart.”
    “I think that last season, I waited too long for the triple-triple,” she said. “By the time it came around to do it in competition, I crumbled under pressure. I am not going to allow myself to do that this season.”
    She plans to train with Nicks on a day-to-day basis but hire a secondary coach who can work alongside Nicks in practice and travel to events.

“I have a couple of tryouts coming up soon,” she said. “I don’t want to pick a name of out a hat and settle. I want to make sure that I pick the right person. I’m confident that I will find that person soon.”

Her Stars on Ice cast mates have helped her narrow down choices.

“I’ve had to go through all of my coaching options while I was still on tour,” said Wagner, who plans to stay in Southern California. “They’ve had experience with all of the main coaches I’ve been thinking of. I have a handful of options right now but I don’t want to pick anyone until I’ve done my tryouts.”

The decision will likely come in the next week or two.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-29-2013 at 12:28 AM.

vCash
    Thanks for the information, Sylvia. Interesting choices re Ashley's new choreographers, plus the fact she's auditioning for an assistant coach to travel with her to competitions.

vCash
    One thing comes across loud and clear to me in that article - she's already feeling the squeeze of the Olympic season.

And it is refreshing to hear her admit that she wants it all - not the typical canned fodder you often get in these "interviews". (Although, IIRC it's not the first time she has said that. She also mentioned wanting gold in Sochi shortly after 2010 but that was before 2012 so at the time, she basically got laughed at)

Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast