Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    the world championships in Vancouver next year?
    No, in Japan.

From Icenetwork's Ladies' SP article:
    For Gold, the experience here is more about practicing alongside European, world and Olympic champions, handling major media attention, and getting more exposure to international judges than it is about skating two programs.

Ouriashev has stressed the importance of watching the likes of Kim and how the Olympic champion carries herself on and off the ice. Gold, who is both a competitor and fan of Kim's, realized that worlds can be much more intimidating than she expected. So far, she has not worked up the nerve to approach the gold medalist, but she might try later during this event.

"I'm kind of waiting to ask for a picture," Gold said.
    Follow-up in IN's FS article:
    Earlier in the week, Gold said she was hoping to get a photo with Kim. She had a chance to achieve that goal at lunch when Kim was sitting at the next table.

But, Gold said, "I chickened out."

She'll have another opportunity Sunday at a skaters banquet.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-17-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Wow is Kim an idol of Gold. That is a cute story. Gold has such a sweet innocence about her, it is amazing she still feels gunshy around the Worlds best, when she is becoming one of them herself at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Ummm, she had help. Had Wagner lost her top 5 placement, Gold's move up might have meant nothing.
    Of course, I was kidding

After Junior worlds: She's the saviour of US Ladies! Send her to Sr Worlds!

After not making the GPF: No, she's not!

After Nationals: Yes, she is!

After 4CC: No, she's not!

After Sr Worlds: Yes she is!

See?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSatterwhite View Post

See?
    No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    No.
    She is! She is! She is! She is! She is!

*runs away covering ears*

vCash
    Very gracious and sportsmanlike comments from Ashley...

vCash
    "She refused to look away from the big, wrinkled pachyderm at center ice. Instead, she hand-lettered a locker room banner in her mind and told reporters she was on a crusade." Holy mixed metaphors, Batman! Love the quotes from Ashley and Gracie, though!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    It know it's super early, but I'm interested to see which US lady gets the no. 3 spot at '14 Nationals for Sochi (it's been sooo long since I said that. It felt good *takes drag on cigarette*) Czisny, Gao, Zawadzki, Nagasu? It will be interesting to see who is super motivated by the opening up of the 3rd spot

vCash
    After all is said and done, it really comes back to me that Wagner actually landed 6 clean triples (including flutz). It was the level 3s in the 2 spins and the fall in the steps that caused her about 3 points in total (and that's before counting any additional PCS she would have gotten for being inspiring). Adding the 3 points back she would already have been 4th.

In hindsight, as much as I hate to admit, if she had given up working on the 2axel3toe and worked on her non jump elements instead, she could very well have been the bronze medallist. It was evident that her steps suffered the most from her spending more time on the 2/3s and 3/3s and looked weakest at Worlds. When clean and skated with inspiration and attack, the program can be very convincing and command high PCS. I said a few times before that it's too late for her to debut those combos at Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    After all is said and done, it really comes back to me that Wagner actually landed 6 clean triples (including flutz). It was the level 3s in the 2 spins and the fall in the steps that caused her about 3 points in total (and that's before counting any additional PCS she would have gotten for being inspiring). Adding the 3 points back she would already have been 4th.

In hindsight, as much as I hate to admit, if she had given up working on the 2axel3toe and worked on her non jump elements instead, she could very well have been the bronze medallist. It was evident that her steps suffered the most from her spending more time on the 2/3s and 3/3s and looked weakest at Worlds. When clean and skated with inspiration and attack, the program can be very convincing and command high PCS. I said a few times before that it's too late for her to debut those combos at Worlds.
    I was thinking about this, Marco. At quick glance of the protocols, she would've finished 4th above Murakami but for the freak fall in the FW sequence. She probably would've been 4th ahead of Osmond after the SP had she simply shot her hands above her head on the 2toe (like she had all season long). The second-guessing on the 3-3 and 2x-3t kept her a little less focused. Then again, weren't spins somewhat problematic at this rink? That seems to have been suggested in other threads and on other message boards. Also, it's suggested above that Ashley's focus seemed to shift towards getting 3 spots, not winning for herself.

Also, I didn't really dig too hard into the protocols, but would Ashley have been around Carolina or Mao's point totals with all level 4's and a 2x-2t? BTW, if we are talking about that 2nd jumping pass - Why not just strategize and change it to a 3t-2t? Heck, that's another point.

vCash
    Wagner was too focused on getting the U.S 3 spots and not enough on her own goals. She didnt attack and didnt look like a winner. I am dissapointed in her. Still I am sure the USFSA and U.S judges have already booked her and Gold tickets for the Olympics by getting 3 U.S spots back but if she wants to do the Team Event at the Games over Gold, remain #1 U.S female over Gold, and be a silver or bronze medalist at the Olympics, much different attitude and approach is needed.

vCash
    I thought both Ashley and Gracie did their jobs.

Ashley wasn't as on fire as she was at the beginning of the season. She did look like she was skating to secure spots, not necessarily make it to the podium which is both silly and smart at the same time. Silly b/c you always want to strive to be the best but smart b/c there wasn't much chance of her getting onto that podium unless one of the top 3 had a meltdown. She did lose points on levels and that's what cost her 4th place but I'm happy with what she accomplished.

Gracie still looked a bit jittery/unfocused at times but she seems to be slightly better at controlling her nerves and not letting the performance slip away from her. She held it together, stayed on her feet and didn't pop any of her jumps. I still think she was overscored in the FS but whatever. I'm glad she was able to put together two respectable skates and hold up her end.

I'm proud of both of them for doing what hasn't been done since 2007.

Did anyone else see Phil Hersh's proclamation that Gracie Gold is now the #1 US lady? How the hell did he come to that conclusion? I guess he thinks b/c Gracie has outscored Ashley in the FS twice that she (Gracie) has now leapfrogged Ashley to become #1 despite the fact that Gracie has never beat Ashley in total points, or the fact that Ashley won two GP events plus GPF silver, another US title and placed the highest at worlds. It's redonkulous how quickly Phil jumps on and off of bandwagons...

vCash
    I think Wagner is still U.S #1 for now but I wouldnt be surprised if the USFSA is ready to anoint Gold U.S #1 next year, and unless Wagner does something great she will be demoted to the U.S #2. It is clear the USFSA wants the next Kwan, and while I dont think Gold will ever be a Kwan who dominates at the World level and wins a bunch of Worlds (granted the field and international competition today, and scoring demands are both light years harder than the Kwan era, no direspect to the great Kwan of course) she is obviously more of a possability to become that then Wagner who is an older skater who would do well to win 1 or 2 World medals (probably not Gold) after the big guns retire before she retires herself. Is Gold someone who could have a long reign as top American and become one of the top in the World for many years and win a boatload of World medals? Quite possibly not, but she still is more of a possability than Wagner, and that probably makes her a juicier proposition to the USFSA. Wagner could slip back into her more suitable role, a reliable and soild #2 who helps ensure 3 spots for the U.S. A kind of Super Flatt.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I would love for Ashley to stick around 1-2 more years after the top 3 inevitably retire after 2014. If the top 3 were not there the past two years, she would be a 2 time world medalist.

Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    It know it's super early, but I'm interested to see which US lady gets the no. 3 spot at '14 Nationals for Sochi (it's been sooo long since I said that. It felt good *takes drag on cigarette*) Czisny, Gao, Zawadzki, Nagasu? It will be interesting to see who is super motivated by the opening up of the 3rd spot
    Gao. The others are too headcase-y.

(For personal reasons, I would love to see Czisny make it, but I predict she will be 7th).

Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Wagner could slip back into her more suitable role, a reliable and soild #2 who helps ensure 3 spots for the U.S. A kind of Super Flatt.
    I think Wagner would have something to say about that. She is not comfortable as the #2.
    Last edited by leafygreens; 03-18-2013 at 06:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I think Wagner is still U.S #1 for now but I wouldnt be surprised if the USFSA is ready to anoint Gold U.S #1 next year, and unless Wagner does something great she will be demoted to the U.S #2. It is clear the USFSA wants the next Kwan, and while I dont think Gold will ever be a Kwan who dominates at the World level and wins a bunch of Worlds (granted the field and international competition today, and scoring demands are both light years harder than the Kwan era, no direspect to the great Kwan of course) she is obviously more of a possability to become that then Wagner who is an older skater who would do well to win 1 or 2 World medals (probably not Gold) after the big guns retire before she retires herself. Is Gold someone who could have a long reign as top American and become one of the top in the World for many years and win a boatload of World medals? Quite possibly not, but she still is more of a possability than Wagner, and that probably makes her a juicier proposition to the USFSA. Wagner could slip back into her more suitable role, a reliable and soild #2 who helps ensure 3 spots for the U.S. A kind of Super Flatt.
    Oh I definitely don't doubt that's the way they are thinking, but Phil bothers me by stating something to be fact when it's based on nothing but his assertion that Gracie has surpassed Ashley...which is fine if he thinks that but there is zero proof to his statement. If Gracie had placed 5th and Ashley 6th, okay you might think that. But Ashley has never placed 2nd to Gracie.

Phil flip-flops so frequently b/w his saviors it makes my head hurt.

It's obvious that Gracie is a podium contender but until she actually makes it to the top of a podium (not the one in Phil's head) or at least places higher than Ashley at an event, I think he should refrain from making such statements...

vCash
    It was clear at worlds that Ashley was the #1, and I'm going to venture a guess that she'll bring her A-game to keep it that way. She just looked very taxed at worlds in her programs by the end of it all. It's been a very different season for Ashley Wagner, something to get used to. Pressure, injury, illness, SHOW SKATING (something which eats into training time, she's not used to that) etc. These things add up.

Gold was fantastic aswell but she reminded me more of a kid phenom than a ladies champion at worlds. Still a long way to go artistically before she gets there, and I think she will in time

vCash
    post deleted

vCash
    The rivalry between Gold and Wagner will be good for both. I am quite sure next year they will remain the 2 best Americans, even if others raise their game to try for the 3 women Olympic team, and both will badly want to be #1. Wagner seems even hungrier than Gold in general, so she might even want it more, but whether that will overcome the superior overall talent and youth factor of Gold remains to be seen.

I am sure both want to be the skater to do the team event too. U.S might have a medal shot there. Then again they might let both do a program so both can medal. Canada definitely has a stronger overall team (equal dance, much stronger pair, much stronger man, equal lady), Russia probably will too (much stronger pair, stronger dance, stronger man if Plushenko competes, equal lady), so that would leave U.S fighting for the bronze in the Team event maybe.

vCash
    Ashley should probably do the short and Gracie the long if you look at their recent results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Ashley should probably do the short and Gracie the long if you look at their recent results.
    Yeah I think that would be the perfect arrangement. Wow Ashley morphed into a really strong short program skater finally in her career at just the right time to save herself.

Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast