Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Even with some mistakes, Gold was 5th in the LP. That's remarkable given the depth of the ladies field this year. Only the big guns (and lovely Li of China) beat her today.

vCash
    Hey guys just reporting what everything looked like today from the stands. Gold was supremely confident on warmup and really nailed that aspect. Yesterday she looked so scared, today she looked relaxed. Program was pretty darn good, and jumps were much better than yesterday in terms of quality. The crowd didn't seem super into her performance at times, however. Little bit of skating through the music instead of to the music. Not to criticize her, she totally nailed it Just pointing out what I got from her performances. Hoping to see strides of improvement heading into next season

Ashley had a good warmup and looked confident. Nailed all her jumps, 2axel-3Toe was clean on 1 foot but she stepped out. It looks as though her triple-triple is better than her axel-toe. I'm still in awe of her 3F-3T on warmup yesterday. She skated the first 2/3 of her LP like a real champion. There was some interesting quality to her live today that I didn't get from anybody else (can't even explain it), she really captivated the audience. 2A-3T was definitely not as good as on warmup though. Something really changed skating into her 3Lo-2A though, she got wobbly and was way off her feet. You know how the rest went. Good for her getting that 3F done though, she looked like a hot mess skating into it.

Interesting to point out that Ashley's footwork was AWFUL throughout SP and LP, I'm not even surprised she fell on it in the long. She's really got to step up her game there, it was so clearly lacking behind the rest of her skating. Weird because it was good early in the season.

Anyways that's it What a great event and WOOHOO 3 SPOTS!!!!!

vCash
    It goes w/o saying that the 3 spots will have a ripple effect on the likes of Alissa, Christina, Agnes, and Mirai. There will be more hope to achieve an Olympic berth and probably more motivation in training and competition. At Worlds, it will also mean a little less pressure.

vCash
    So Gold ended up being the saviour of US Ladies after all . Her moving from 9th to 6th sealed the deal.

Title-less
    vCash
    The ISu season's best list is updated. If rules don't change, then Wagner, Gold get 2 gps; Nagasu, Gao, Miller, Agnes Z., and Wang each gets at least one (Gao or Nagasu may get 2, not sure where they and Czisny are in world standings after the older season's scores are out, esp with Czisny).

If US wants Hicks on GP, then she'll need the host pick, I think. Cesario will get a sr B I suspect; if she's lucky she'll get a gp invite when someone decides to skip gp. I think both are good enough and ready for senior events.
    Last edited by jlai; 03-17-2013 at 09:33 AM.

vCash
    Just got through watching G.G. & Ashley's respective long programs on youtube, and am delighted for the both of them, especially the fact that they both helped to earn 3 spots for the US women next year! To me that accomplishment was more important than a medal by far, way way more important. I am soooo proud of them both.

WTG, G.G. & ASH, WTG!!!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    http://espn.go.com/olympics/figuresk...ympic-table-us
    "For us, what we accomplished, with this strong international field, is more than standing on top of that podium," Wagner said. "It's something we haven't been able to do for, what, five seasons now? The fact that Gracie did it with me her first time out, it's huge."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    IDK if anyone caught this in the K & C at the very end of Ashley's performance. But Nicks mumbled something to her and she turned to him and said 'We did?' I assume he informed her that they achieved the 13 minimum for 3 spots?

vCash
    I think Gold will be a contender next season. I was so impressed with her speed, spins and jumps. I really enjoyed her skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSatterwhite View Post
    So Gold ended up being the saviour of US Ladies after all . Her moving from 9th to 6th sealed the deal.
    Ummm, she had help. Had Wagner lost her top 5 placement, Gold's move up might have meant nothing.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    The ISu season's best list is updated. If rules don't change, then Wagner, Gold get 2 gps; Nagasu, Gao, Miller, Agnes Z., and Wang each gets at least one (Gao or Nagasu may get 2, not sure where they and Czisny are in world standings after the older season's scores are out, esp with Czisny).
    Czisny will definitely drop out of the top 24 world standings after the 2010/2011 season points are removed so she won't get anything unless USFS gives her a host spot. I think USFS will politik enough to get Gao and Agnes two spots...not sure about Mirai. Given past history my guess is that Wang and Miller will wind up on the JGP again :-/ but maybe the third spot will induce USFS and one or both of their teams to go for the GP even if it only means one assignment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    IDK if anyone caught this in the K & C at the very end of Ashley's performance. But Nicks mumbled something to her and she turned to him and said 'We did?' I assume he informed her that they achieved the 13 minimum for 3 spots?
    Ashley almost seemed more focused on getting that 3rd spot back then even lading on the podium. I know she takes it personally that she's part of the reason why we lost the 3rd spot back in 2008. Which was ridiculous since she was only 16 and was the new kid and there was no way a team of a struggling Meissner, and an inconsistent Bebe Liang were going to finish high enough to keep 3. I also think she remembers that she didn't get to go to Vancouver even though she finished 3rd and she doesn't want that to happen again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSatterwhite View Post
    Maybe Gracie needs to finish in 9th place in the SP at all competitions. She seems to love coming from behind that position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Ashley almost seemed more focused on getting that 3rd spot back then even lading on the podium. I know she takes it personally that she's part of the reason why we lost the 3rd spot back in 2008. Which was ridiculous since she was only 16 and was the new kid and there was no way a team of a struggling Meissner, and an inconsistent Bebe Liang were going to finish high enough to keep 3. I also think she remembers that she didn't get to go to Vancouver even though she finished 3rd and she doesn't want that to happen again.
    That is why I think she might have a better shot to medal in Vancouver than she had at these Worlds. She had too many things going against her to medal at this years Worlds, peaked too early in the season, loss of confidence after a couple shaky outings, loss of training and momentum after injury, and the overwhelming pressure to regain 3 spots and of Gold challenging her. In Vancouver next year she will likely go in as a contender but obviously not the favorite, without all that much to lose, and will be able to attack in true Wagner style and go for a medal. The only one completely out of reach for her (and most everyone) is Yu Na Kim. Sure she cant beat a clean Asada or Kostner, but how often those two skate cleanly. Their Worlds efforts were far from clean, yet amongst their better competitions. She has to improve of course, up the jump content, increase her spin levels, continue defining her style to increase PCS, but I think now she knows where she stands, and overall this season was a fair success, and she will go to work on what she needs to improve in the off season. She is one determined and tough skater.

I think the U.S might go into Vancouver with 2 medal contenders, and they might have a decent shot (40% or so) to nab 1 medal from either Wagner or Gold (although very unlikely both on the same podium).

vCash
    It will be interesting to see how Ashley handles the change in mental mindset from this season to next. She's always been SOOOO focused on getting those three spots that I really do think she can forget her own personal placement altogether. Not so this next season. She's going to have to get down and SELFISH about her skating and focus on doing the very best SHE can do; USA's reputation be hanged. She needs to pull out that fighter mentality that we know she has and forget about playing it safe. She can do it, but it will take some adjustment.

vCash
    the world championships in Vancouver next year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Yeah that is what I was mostly referring to as some of the big stars will likely skip Worlds, but even the Games in Sochi are possible for them to be medal contenders I guess. As I said Asada and Kostner are not infalliable (Kim isnt totally either but I cant see her making enough errors to lose to a U.S skater no matter what, maybe on a given day enough errors to an on fire Asada and Kostner, but as she is more consistent than they are that is unlikely even).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Yeah that is what I was mostly referring to as some of the big stars will likely skip Worlds, but even the Games in Sochi are possible for them to be medal contenders I guess. As I said Asada and Kostner are not infalliable (Kim isnt totally either but I cant see her making enough errors to lose to a U.S skater no matter what, maybe on a given day enough errors to an on fire Asada and Kostner, but as she is more consistent than they are that is unlikely even).
    The World Championships are in Saitama, Japan next year, not Vancouver.

vCash
    Finally feeling excited about US Ladies again! Congrats to Ashley & Gracie.

I think Ashley would have been devastated to not get the three spots back- it is all she talked about in interviews and has been such a theme throughout her career with 2008, 2010 and now 2013. 2008 was not really her fault and she did her job last year so I am so glad she will not carry that burden into next year. She didn't skate lights out- but her rebound after that misstep fall was solid. She has grown so much as a skater this quad. I am so glad that she will in all likelihood get her Olympic experience next year. I realize a podium finish may not be in the cards if she doesn't up the technical ante but I think she may finally get her World medal in 2014 if some of the big guns skip. I hope so.

Gracie- I am so thrilled she silenced the naysayers who wanted to dump her after 4CC. She was absolutely the right choice and the judges seem to like her. With 2 totally clean skates, she likely would have been almost challenging Mao for the bronze. Fifth in the free skate and even more than that, she fought through those nerves. I assume USFSA will urge her to get some better choreo and if the PCS improve, the sky will be the limit. I would not be surprised to see her as US Champion, maybe in the Grand Prix final and an outside shot at the podium next year.

I am really excited to see who pops up as contenders for spot 3 next year. Gao is my sentimental fave after this season and I hope Wang & Miller will at least be part of the conversation. I enjoyed Miller more than anyone at Nationals.

vCash
    Oh sorry, I thought they were in Vancouver for some reason. Either way she has a good shot to medal at Worlds with some absences, and an outside shot to medal at the Olympics, which can increase depending on her off season. Gold the same. It is hard to say which of the two has the better shot at either event right now.

Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast