Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

vCash
    Great stuff, triple_toe!

vCash
    Hey guys I was there live for the ladies short and I will be there live for the ladies free Saturday. I missed Gracie's SP warmup unfortunately, that was the only thing I missed from the event. Gracie had the look of terror throughout her entire short program but she fought through it. Not the best feet in the air so her landings were weak, she squeaked out a triple-triple but it was noticeably not rotated.

Ashley went on the warmup and looked a tad lethargic but energy increased over the 6 minutes. She did a couple of nice double axels, then a triple loop with her spread eagle entry. Then she did a nice triple flip right in front of me. After talking with John Nicks, she skated up and did a fantastic triple flip-triple toe [no two foot landing or UR] with a lot of speed coming out. She looked like she'd been training it all season, she probably has been.... She didn't have a good entry to her flip in her actual short and then added on a double toe, smart choice. The loop was very nice. The program was a bit tentative and her footwork sequence was meh. At least she didn't have any look of terror.

Wishing both girls great skates again on Saturday

vCash
    Given how everyone skated and how tough the caller was, I think Wagner going for a 3/2 only is a good strategic choice. She however really needs to pay a little more attention to her spins. If she had gotten level 4s on all spins she wold be on the 65 - 66 range and at least 4th or even higher, and that's just with a 3/2.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think it's silly to lose levels on spins at this point.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Yes.

vCash
    The judging in the Ladies SP was tough in some cases but suspect -

I think Gracie's 3toe was UR, but I think she managed a slight inside edge on her 3flip.

The most egregious call was for Kostner's 3-3. On Italian TV, the camera was right behind her combo and she obviously was more than 1/4 turn short, legs crossed and fell. She received neither a -3 GOE or a UR!

Murakami's 3toe was borderline but I think she squeaked it out. I wouldn't have given her a 2 for GOE on the combo.

Asada's 3x had and obvious 2-foot, but the judges gave her a 0.14. Shouldn't that have been in negative territory?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    It seemed like a lot of the ladies lost spin levels. People were speculating it was something to due with the ice. I think Yuna lost levels as well and that is why her score was lower than expected.

vCash
    I think the judges are somewhat bored with Yu Na. This is the opinion of some skating critics: that she has not grown at all. Thankfully she is performing to music that we all love in the FS, and I think she will win some gay and musical theater fan votes (for whatever those are worth). There is the matter of her having only six triples. I think if Kostner can attempt seven triples, with the beauty of her Bolero program, it would be her title. I simply have no idea what will happen on the ice. I would never have expected Mao to pop a 3L.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_E View Post
    It seemed like a lot of the ladies lost spin levels. People were speculating it was something to due with the ice. I think Yuna lost levels as well and that is why her score was lower than expected.
    Not only that, but there have been a LOT of falls and fallouts on spins so far...I'm wondering if it has something to do with the ice as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Not only that, but there have been a LOT of falls and fallouts on spins so far...I'm wondering if it has something to do with the ice as well.
    Since it is an NHL rink I wonder if the ice is harder than usual for figure skating. I know I spin WAY better (and uh, my spins are that of a bronze level adult) when I go to the neighboring rink that specializes in figure skating. The ice is just different when it is kept a little warmer.

It has been shocking how many spin mistakes there have been.

With the small rink size I expected a few more run ins with the boards and was happy that had been avoided, but then during the pairs event I noticed a number of falls slid into the boards, and K/S had a foot hit the boards during a lift- which had to have been terrifying for all involved, him- worrying about dropping her, her being potentionally dropped onto the board rail head first, and the lady in the audience who nearly got a blade to her face! Thank god he caught her/she caught him on the way down.

Sorry- not to do with ladies, but I am baffled by the fact that major events can happen on ice surfaces that don't meet the sport regulation. It doesn't seem like it should be Olympic ice or NHL ice- they need to pick one for the skater's to best prepare.

I'm not sure you can do much to regulate ice quality, but I very much think that is why there have been spin issues.

vCash
    Yay, we have three spots back!!! Ha to all of those who said it was nearly impossible! Though, I'm a little saddened that Ashley didn't skate the way she is capable of. It would have been nice if Ashley ended her season with a medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Yay, we have three spots back!!! Ha to all of those who said it was nearly impossible! Though, I'm a little saddened that Ashley didn't skate the way she is capable of. It would have been nice if Ashley ended her season with a medal.
    The real question is would even her very best skate have been good enough to beat Asada or Kostner tonight for a medal given their performances and scores. I am inclined to think no but it could have been close.

vCash
    I don't think Ashley has the firepower to medal unless a lot of skaters have off nights.

vCash
    Well, RD?

vCash
    ...Well that ever so mentioned 3rd spot was earned, are you all gonna start celebrating now?

vCash
    Thrilled for the US ladies!

Gracie placed 5th in the LP and 6th overall with a very respectable skate including 3/3. She definitely exceeded my expectations. Here's hoping she shows continued improvement heading into next season and sets herself up as a contender.

to Ashley who really fought through that long program. I think she really felt the pressure to help secure those 3 spots and despite the silly mistake on the footwork she really came through. I hope she brings the 3/3 with her next season, because she could really be a contender with it.

Overall a great showing by both girls IMO.

vCash
    After all the doom and gloom by certain posters here, Ashley and Gracie did MORE than enough to win back the coveted third spot. What a great night of skating!

vCash
    So excited! Both girls were great and I hope this means we get to see Princess Gao in Sochi! ((i know, i know...))

vCash
    Wagner knows she has to work really hard on 3-3 and 2 axel-triple toe combinations over the summer, and work really hard on her spin levels. She desperately needs that if she has designs on an Olympic medal.

Gold needs to continue focusing on improving her artistry, but mostly just keep going in the direction she is now. Gaining more experience and confidence, and with it greater consistency. We can already sense how dangerous a clean Gold would be to nearly everyone not named Yu Na Kim.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    So excited! Both girls were great and I hope this means we get to see Princess Gao in Sochi! ((i know, i know...))
    You know Wagner and Gold are going to the Olympics next year even if one just takes a giant dump on the ice at Nationals and leaves. This years Nationals shows how far into their corner the USFSA is now, and after regaining that 3rd spot for the U.S after all these years they will only be that much moreso. That 3rd spot is so wonderful and great as it gives several other ladies the chance to dream and shoot for the Olympics. I think Gao and Zawadzki have the best shots at it personally and that it will be one of those two if I had to guess now. I hope Gao, especialy if Zawadzki performs like she usually does at Nationals.

Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast