Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Again, I just hope the two of them only worry about what they can control (i.e. their skating) and forget (or at least try to) about the whole 3 spots business.

ETA: also, remember that Wagner playing it safe for 5th puts more pressure on Gold for a higher (top 8) finish. Whereas if Wagner is successful at pulling off a more difficult skate and eeks out 3rd, Gold can be anywhere in the top 10. Best thing to do is just skate the best they can and let the chips fall.
    Last edited by RD; 03-05-2013 at 04:53 PM.

vCash
    I trust Nicks. If the decision's on him, I trust his judgement.

And NO, I don't see him telling her not to do the 3-3 or 2A-3T and her going out there and doing it anyway.

vCash
    Or, everyone could go lights out and Wagner might be 5th with her 10 triples between short and long.

ETA:

Mao/Yuna/Carolina
    Mao/Yuna/Carolina
    Mao/Yuna/Carolina
    Akiko/Russian
    Wagner
    Akiko/Russian

This is a very likely scenario, frankly.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    ^ which is EXACTLY why I think it's a lost cause hoping for 3 spots. The US women had their best opportunity last year but it was wasted. Even then, though, not like throwing in Zawadzki would enhance chances any (all due respect).

I just question whether in the big scheme of things, our team is good enough to do what it's being asked to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Wagner stated in her media teleconference call that "Mr. Nicks calls the shots and going into Worlds he'll make the final decision" [about trying the 3F+3T in the SP and/or 2A+3T in the FS]. She has been consistent in saying this all season long.
    Now that, is excellent!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Meh, I've been one of Gold's biggest cheerleaders on this board and I honestly don't hope for anything beyond a top 10 finish(and even then it's not a given).

Watching Mao at 4CC's and Kostner at Euros, it really hit me how different these skaters are from their early years. They always had excellent basics, but that extra something that takes someone to the next level as an artist wasn't there. In fact it has taken them years and a lot of bumps in the road to reach this level. It's not always a smooth ride to the top and that's ok.

The "vultures" can feast all they want. The ice is slippery and Gold is going to fall multiple times and she's going to find a way to pick herself up. Whether she picks herself up to become something bigger in the sport or does enough to make herself proud(yes the journey matters), only time will tell.

In the meantime, my hope is that she takes everything in stride and learns from her experiences. JMO
    Well said. ITA. Leave these girls alone. They certainly don't need the added pressure from fans.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The Professional Skaters Association (PSA) announced the 2013 U.S. Nationals winners of their EDI Awards for Best Performance on March 4.

From the PSA's Facebook page:
    The EDI awards are named after the late World and Olympic coach, Edi Scholdan, who died in the 1961 world team plane crash. Scholdan was the first president of the PSA and inspiration for the Education and Dedication International (EDI) Awards.

One winner was chosen from each category; Men’s, Ladies, Pairs, Dance, and Synchronized to honor and recognize the outstanding efforts of these skaters. The award is based on the "total performance" with an eye to costuming, presentation, music selection, choreography, style, and technique. Winners were determined by a committee present at nationals that reviewed all long and short programs at the junior and senior levels for each discipline.

Ladies Singles: Winner – Polina Edmunds (Junior Free Skate)
    Coaches – Nina Edmunds & David Glynn
    Choreographer – Marina Klimova
    Music – “Romeo and Juliet” by Nino Rota
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    She also said she's training the 2A+3T in her FS - here's the audio of the teleconference (13 minutes, with a few glitches): http://web.icenetwork.com/media/play...2010.swf&_mp=1
    Here's a Wagner article based on the teleconference call that was published today: http://fcnp.com/2013/03/07/wagner-aims-for-podium-spot/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Here's a Wagner article based on the teleconference call that was published today: http://fcnp.com/2013/03/07/wagner-aims-for-podium-spot/
    I read the whole article. It sounds like she's in good shape and she's mentally ready ....

snip from Sylvia's article (bold mine):

“I’m feeling pretty good about my training,” Wagner said. “Pretty much the same thing every day—working on the triple/triples and doing my run-throughs and just making sure that everything feels solid and I can mentally prepare myself for Worlds.”

Award winning choreographer and TV commentator Sandra Bezic said Wagner’s lack of triple/triple combinations have been a handicap when she competes against the top skaters in the world. At press time, Wagner was anticipating performing a triple/triple in her short program, but said coach John Nicks will make the final decision at the championships.

“The ladies field, the level of competition is insane, but at the same time for me that’s really exciting because it pushes me a little bit harder,” said Wagner. “At the same time, it means there’s less room for error. I know I’m going up against some really talented girls and I’m going to have to bring out the big guns so to speak. I’m absolutely aware of where all these top ladies are and I’m ready to bring the competition.”

vCash
    If Wagner is "ready to bring the competition" then she should do the 3-3 and not let it be the decision of Mr. Nick. She likes to "talk the talk", so just DO IT!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Gracie Gold had her pre-Worlds media teleconference call today and the most significant change to her programs is that she is swapping her SP combination and solo triple, according to Phil Hersh's tweet:
    said she will go to 3 Lutz-3T in short program rather than Flip-Toe, partly because less risk of wrong edge on her solo flip
    USFS tweeted:
    says she has a new costume for her short program that she will unveil in London.

says shes looking to put out 2-3 clean short programs per day to focus on her consistency.

would like to turn pressure into excitement for the World Championships.

"I want to go up against the elite and see how I match up"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    If Wagner is "ready to bring the competition" then she should do the 3-3 and not let it be the decision of Mr. Nick. She likes to "talk the talk", so just DO IT!
    Can't disagree.

vCash
    Gracie Gold had her pre-Worlds media teleconference call today and the most significant change to her programs is that she is swapping her SP combination and solo triple, according to Phil Hersh's tweet:
    I'm glad Gracie is going for the triple lutz-triple toe! I think the lutz is a stronger jump for her than the flip (not that any of her jumps are a weakness). I'm excited to see her new costume for the short. My hope for Gracie at Worlds is that she is finally able put out two strong programs this year.

vCash
    Gracie Gold had her pre-Worlds media teleconference call today and the most significant change to her programs is that she is swapping her SP combination and solo triple, according to Phil Hersh's tweet
    Finally! Stick with the same 3/3 for both programs!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Finally! Stick with the same 3/3 for both programs!
    I soooo agree! It made sense when she was in junior last year with the lutz being the mandatory solo jump, but why waste time on two different 3/3s when you don't need to?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    There's a ton of strategy here. John Nicks is playing Jutta Mueller.

I'm just guessing, but I think they may be working to see if they can get Ashley all Level 4's on spins and FW in the SP and LP. That alone would get her 66 pts. in the SP and around 130 pts. in the LP. Right there, you have Ashley able to achieve a total of 196 pts. w/ no 3-3 or 2x-3t if she does her jump layouts from SA and TEB. Maybe they think that will be enough for a bronze ...

But, I think they are counting on Carolina under pressure popping a jump or two and Mao UR'ing here and there (or missing a 3x and unraveling a bit), though.

FTR, I think if she's doing 3-3's or 2x-3t in practice with a high success rate, she should just go for it. Skate for herself

vCash
    I never understood why Gracie went for different 3-3s especially when she's more consistent at hitting the lutz-toe. So what is her solo jump going to be? 3F? She'll run the risk of getting the same edge call. I think she should do a 3L. Her 3L is great, it's easier, and with the added +GOE she'd probably get more points than doing a 3F with all of the edge deductions.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Gold tends to have a better success rate landing 3F (even with an edge call) than 3Lo.

Here's a short article on her: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...tions/1972335/

vCash
    Gold tends to have a better success rate landing 3F (even with an edge call) than 3Lo.

Here's a short article on her: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...tions/1972335/
    Thanks, Sylvia.

Reading the article about obtaining 3 spots made me think that newcomers like Gracie, under normal circumstances in the past where the US always had 3 spots, would've had time to relax and learn how to perform on the big stage because there were 2 others to 'help out'. Unfortunately, 2 US ladies are being thrust into a situation that, in addition to regular performance issues, they are also burdened with trying to get a high finish because it's all up to them and them alone.

Frankly, I think the standard is a little stringent.

vCash
    I think Gracie should start doing 3lo in her SP next season. It's worth more than a flip with an edge call and where it's not her most consistent jump, I think doing it in the SP would help her get it more consistent. She's capable of a gorgeous 3lo when she doesn't mess it up. So really, I think that would be a smart idea, instead of being a problem jump, it could become a money jump, when Gracie hits the 3lo properly it's a +1 or +2 GOE worthy jump.

Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast