Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Grrrr Russian podium sweep (not that I don't love the Russian girls...but we were SO CLOSE to a medal!).

vCash
    We got hosed. I guess the judges love tiny girls who skate right through the music with small jumps. I can almost see this being like when the US swept the podium a couple times a few years ago. I was not impressed with the Russian girls. When the crowd is booing it's not a good thing. And i doubt if it's because someone with a Italian name got shafted.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    "We" didn't get hosed. Samantha Cesario lost out on a chance for bronze due to 5 under-rotation calls (4 on triples) and what appeared to me to be an under-scoring of her PCS marks. It was a "Black Swan" performance by her, just like at Nationals!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Title-less
    vCash
    Given the fact that the JGP final champ and 2nd place finisher are competing here along with the reiging jw champ, the Russian sweep is not that surprising. The US team and the Canadian team did about what was expected of them.

The Japanese team has got to be the most disappointed, along with the Korean team--rather disappointing results given the promise these girls showed in jgp.

vCash
    Samantha also left a tons of points on the table with her spin levels. The top two ladies got about 1.5 more on TES on the layback spin alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    We got hosed. I guess the judges love tiny girls who skate right through the music with small jumps. I can almost see this being like when the US swept the podium a couple times a few years ago. I was not impressed with the Russian girls. When the crowd is booing it's not a good thing. And i doubt if it's because someone with a Italian name got shafted.
    Russian chicks rotated their jumps and got the levels on their spins, Samantha didn't, I'm failing to see the wuzrobbing? Samantha was 2nd in PCS, which given Radinova's skate was fair. I would have given her higher PCS, but the marks for this competition as a whole were conservative so it's fine. It's not like Julia or Anna got that high PCS anyways, 52 and 49 is fine for where there skating is at, 6s are not huge PCS marks and they have good past results helping their reputations. Plus they both attempted 7 triples and 2 double axels not in sequence, while Sam only attempted 6 triples and her double axels were in sequence and therefore worth less. I wouldn't call Anna's jumps small either, they might not be the prettiest but some of those jumps were pretty big like the 2nd lutz and the flip at the end. The commentators were even commenting on how she had a lot of power.

URs and missed spin levels are the reason Samantha hasn't competed on the GP yet and why she didn't place higher at Nationals - it's something she needs to work on and I'm sure she realizes that now. The margin between her and Pogorilaya was not even that close, for Samantha to have won she would have needed 6 more points in PCS and she already got 3 points higher than Anna in PCS as it was, I think 9 points is excessive as that would mean Sam would have gotten 58 for PCS which at a junior event is practically unheard of. I agree that the judging system maybe needs to be altered so that URed jumps can still get +GOEs because what I saw from Sam was some big, pretty jumps that were nicely landed but a bit short of rotation. Look at the protocols and you'll see the GOEs for Julia and Anna were fair, Anna did get lots of minuses for her jumps, but the fact is she still landed and rotated 7 triples including two 3lutzes taken off the proper edge and two 2axels, got level 4 for two of her spins and level 3 on the other, and level 3 for the steps. Given that, the fact that she placed 3rd with a score of 160 I'm failing to find unreasonable? And Julia scored 165 which is also fair..

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Christina Gao is the latest skater to be featured on the Boston Nationals website: http://www.boston2014.com/featured-s...christina-gao/
    To those who asked earlier, she is taking this (spring) -- as well as the fall -- semester off (she alluded to it in the Harvard Gazette article I posted).

ETA this tweet by @SammiCesario:
    "Thank you for all of the support & kind words.. It's been a great season and I had fun out there tonight #JWMilan13"

This Junior Worlds Ladies' FS recap article includes quotes from Cesario, Hicks, and Siraj: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Last edited by Sylvia; 03-03-2013 at 04:46 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    We got hosed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ...This Junior Worlds Ladies' FS recap article includes quotes from Cesario, Hicks, and Siraj: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Sam mentioned wanting a Sr. GP assignment next year but will that happen, realistically speaking? I was thinking she might get a Sr. B event or two ...

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Do they give small medals for the SP at Junior Worlds?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Do they give small medals for the SP at Junior Worlds?
    Yes, for both the SP and FS portions.

Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Sam mentioned wanting a Sr. GP assignment next year but will that happen, realistically speaking? I was thinking she might get a Sr. B event or two ...
    Cesario is currently #23 on the ISU SB list (see the updated SB thread in GSD) but could be considered as a host pick for Skate America.

Title-less
    vCash
    Having seen Sam at nationals and jw, I think she stands up well to pressure. That said, the technical aspect of her skating needs to improve. I mean not just jumps, but basics and spins and all.
    I'm okay with Sam doing just sr B, as much as I root for her having a host pick.

Interesting that none of the US ladies (ETA: at junior world) surpassed Miller's or Wang's season's best--doesn't that mean Miller and Wang stand a better chance at a gp? (Of course, that depends on what happens at WTT and worlds too)Wang is on the cuff, but I hope her score holds up (fingers crossed). She has the technical ability to do senior and I hope she will.
    Last edited by jlai; 03-03-2013 at 07:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes, for both the SP and FS portions.

Cesario is currently #23 on the ISU SB list (see the updated SB thread in GSD) but could be considered as a host pick for Skate America.
    Well, based on conversations in the men's thread, it sounds like if someone is top 24, they have a good shot at being invited to a senior GP?

Anyway, reflecting back on Jr. Worlds, I figured that considering the presence of Radionova and Lipnitskaya, the best any US lady could've done was to snatch a bronze, so sending Hicks and Cesario (and the fact that they finished 4th and 5th) wasn't a real disappointment at all.

I'm admittedly late to the conversation re Siraj, though, but I think that the USFSA could've sent either Miller or Wang as the 3rd entrant. Another example that the 'Nationals take all' mentality' by the USFSA needs to be revisited.

Title-less
    vCash
    I did wonder a bit about Yasmin's small jumps at nationals, but her basic skating is sooo good compared to other US ladies I find it hard to begrudge her her chance at junior world. I feel for Wang though--last year her nationals placement was good enough but USFS skipped over her to pick Lam based on JGP results; yet next year, her jgp results were good enough but USFS used nationals placement instead. That's why I hope she gets a gp next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Russian chicks rotated their jumps and got the levels on their spins, Samantha didn't, I'm failing to see the wuzrobbing? Samantha was 2nd in PCS, which given Radinova's skate was fair. I would have given her higher PCS, but the marks for this competition as a whole were conservative so it's fine. It's not like Julia or Anna got that high PCS anyways, 52 and 49 is fine for where there skating is at, 6s are not huge PCS marks and they have good past results helping their reputations. Plus they both attempted 7 triples and 2 double axels not in sequence, while Sam only attempted 6 triples and her double axels were in sequence and therefore worth less. I wouldn't call Anna's jumps small either, they might not be the prettiest but some of those jumps were pretty big like the 2nd lutz and the flip at the end. The commentators were even commenting on how she had a lot of power.

URs and missed spin levels are the reason Samantha hasn't competed on the GP yet and why she didn't place higher at Nationals - it's something she needs to work on and I'm sure she realizes that now. The margin between her and Pogorilaya was not even that close, for Samantha to have won she would have needed 6 more points in PCS and she already got 3 points higher than Anna in PCS as it was, I think 9 points is excessive as that would mean Sam would have gotten 58 for PCS which at a junior event is practically unheard of. I agree that the judging system maybe needs to be altered so that URed jumps can still get +GOEs because what I saw from Sam was some big, pretty jumps that were nicely landed but a bit short of rotation. Look at the protocols and you'll see the GOEs for Julia and Anna were fair, Anna did get lots of minuses for her jumps, but the fact is she still landed and rotated 7 triples including two 3lutzes taken off the proper edge and two 2axels, got level 4 for two of her spins and level 3 on the other, and level 3 for the steps. Given that, the fact that she placed 3rd with a score of 160 I'm failing to find unreasonable? And Julia scored 165 which is also fair..
    And nine points is excessive when you consider that its not so much that Samanatha is the better skater. In terms of speed/power. As much as she's just the more mature performer. I found Anna a bit sloppy but well this is JR and she's quite young. How much can you penalize a girl Anna's age for being like that-at that age. I can see why the judges would look more at basic skating than maturity in Juniors.

vCash
    Throwing my $0.00 cents in as well as regards the results of Ladies Jr. Worlds Result, which I watched late last night on youtube (thanks to MaoFan).

Samantha Cesario did UR a lot of her jumps, at least those shown on replay, which I slo-moed (they were not 90 degress around or less, rather less than 180 degrees, but more than 90 degrees, unfortunatey, she'll have to work on that). BUT, her presentation and overall clean skate in terms of no obvious bobbles/mistakes outclassed that 3rd place horrible skate from that Russian skater that had so many *obvious* stepouts and hiccups in her skating. *yuck*

However, I have no problem with #1 & #2, they truly are jr. skaters and skate jr, small jumps, especially from the #2 skater, and the #1 skater reminds me of Tara Lipinski. On that note I would have given NONE of them (+) GOE on their jumps. They were rotated, yes, but certainly not in the category of an Irina Slutskaya or a Julia Sebestain, not to mention G.G. or even Courtney Hicks when it comes to power, height, and depth. But like I said I have no problem with them winning (i.e. #1 & #2) because first off they rotated their jumps and also skated cleanly, which wasn't the case with the rest of the field. Jmho.

Now onto Seniors and BIG WORLDS!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    "As of now" Triple-Triple in the short for Wagner, tweeted USFS about her pre-Worlds media teleconference call today [2/26/13].
    She also said she's training the 2A+3T in her FS - here's the audio of the teleconference (13 minutes, with a few glitches): http://web.icenetwork.com/media/play...2010.swf&_mp=1

vCash
    ^ As for Wagner 3-3 & 2A/3T, I'll believe it when I see it/them.

vCash
    Why split her focus and practice 2 new combos? She could use the 3flip3toe in both the short and the free.

vCash
    Would that be a wiser strategy point-wise?

Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast