Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

vCash
    Ashley cancelled participating in THE ICE TOUR(on 24th and 25th July in Aichi, and on 27th and 28th in Osaka Japan) because of her schedule.
    http://www2.ctv.co.jp/theice/?p=223

As some of you were worrying, her schedule was too tight back and forth traveling to Asia. It's good for her to take enough time to train with RA.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Thanks, rosewood! I've re-posted your news in 2 relevant threads in GSD. (ETA: Mirai Nagasu was added to The ICE cast last month.)

Re-posting from the Broadmoor Open competition thread in Kiss and Cry and the Program Music thread in GSD:
    Quote Originally Posted by YukiNieve View Post
    Polina Edmunds' SP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTV6optlAp0

Really nice!
    Edmunds won the Senior Ladies SP event with a score of 58.81.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-02-2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: to add the news about Nagasu & the ICE shows in Japan
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Karen has been on my radar for the last two years and I'm really happy to see her continue to develop into a lovely skater. I just remember how she blew me away with her exhibition number in 2012 when she won the US novice championship. If you haven't seen it check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Y-bzrkJlU

I hope she has a good run on the JGP this year.
    Yes, thanks for posting. I recall seeing Karen then (must have been the first time I saw her), and her talent was obvious and impressive then too. And what a great job she did with those butterfly wings! That was a great concept for her and she did an excellent job. ITA with the commentators re that wow 3-lutz she pulled off skating in an exhibition with butterfly wings in hand. That said, it's just hard to know how young skaters with lots of talent are going to fare down the road. It's always a good idea for coaches and parents to to keep such a progeny's development balanced and avoid too much hype.

Karen has obviously grown since that exhibition, and as others have mentioned her lines and artistic sensibilities are blossoming quite wonderfully for a skater at her stage of development. I hope she continues to develop in a fruitful and positive way, and that as she matures she will still be 100% committed and able to reach her full potential.

Is she still coached by Tammy Gambill? One thing Karen might work on at some point is improving her leg position in the layback.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Karen Chen's previous coaches up through 2013 Nationals are still listed in her USFS bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=101483&mode=I
    She made the switch to Gambill earlier this year.

ETA link to Alissa Czisny's latest interview, published yesterday, that was posted in her news/updates thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3948655
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-02-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: To add Czisny interview link
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Karen Chen's previous coaches up through 2013 Nationals are still listed in her USFS bio: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=101483&mode=I
    She made the switch to Gambill earlier this year.
    Thanks. I saw Gambill listed on Karen's website. I hadn't checked out Karen's USFS bio. Tammy sure has a slew of talented skaters. Where and how does she find the time and make it all work, I wonder?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Courtney Hicks article about her program music, choreographers, and goals for this season: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Hicks plans to compete at the Los Angeles Open later this month; she says she is definitely going to skate her short program but hasn't decided whether to do her free. In addition, she will perform in the US Athletic Foundation show, "An Evening on Ice," July 20 in L.A., and in Parker Pennington's "Skate Dance Dream" show in Pittsburgh on July 27.
    ETA "Five favorite things with Yasmin Siraj": http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-03-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Polina Edmunds posted this cute video of her group having fun at 2013 Broadmoor Open, the Olympic Training Center, and other sites around Colorado Springs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKw7guGEV30

vCash
    Skate Milwaukee is this weekend. Last year Gracie Gold did the sp, I believe and Kiri Baga won the ladies. Any chance they or other national caliber skaters will be back?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Yes, I heard Gracie Gold plans to debut her "Sleeping Beauty" FS at Skate Milwaukee on Saturday.

vCash
    ^^^Boy I wished she had picked a different piece of music. I don't think she has the artistic "chops" to pull off the sophisticated and nuanced performance that would save it from being "cutsie" and Gracie is too bold for teenage-cute.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes, I heard Gracie Gold plans to debut her "Sleeping Beauty" FS at Skate Milwaukee on Saturday.
    Ha! I wanted Gracie to skate to Chaikovsky, although I really wanted it to be the Piano Concerto No. 1. I agree with you AA, Sleeping Beauty is more Mao's department and that lovely Chinese skater, Li Zijun.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia!!!

Here is my long winded report

I saw Gracie's LP today. She was anxious, and while she did a flawless 3z3t in the warmup, and at least 2 other flawless, epic 3z's in the warmup, she had a bit of a lean with a pause on the landing of her opening 3z. She still managed a very nice 3t on the end of the lutz, though, so good for her.

Her jump layout was...3z3t, 3sal, 3loop (she hung in the air FOREVER on this, it may have been doubled today), then 2a, ina into 2z, 2(?)a2t (wonky on the axel), 2f2t(? not sure about the combo) After the opening section she obviously backed off the jumps. I'm not 100% sure of the order of the last 4 jumping passes. Also, she may have wanted to do the 2a3t combo where the first 2a is, or perhaps she was just ahead of the music. It looks like she's supposed to end that jumping pass on a big clash of the cymbals

I really loved the music cuts and the program as a whole!!! There is a LOT going on in this program, transitions wise, and she handled those very well, although she did seem to rush through the inside spread eagle at the end. I really liked the ending, although today she seemed to end up too close to the boards. There was a part after the step sequence where I thought she didn't make it work, but 85% of the program she pulled off very well. It is a lot more lyrical than last year's effort, but it's not a ridiculously insipid pwetty pwincess program. They let her power shine through. The dress....well, it's pink. But she handles the choreography very well and it doesn't look unnatural on her for the vast majority of the program. She's got parts she can improve on, to be sure, but this is a very good vehicle for her, imo. There is just one little arm gesture at the very beginning that doesn't fit AT ALL and has to go. You'll know it when you see it.

Her flying spin is a 1 foot combo instead of flying camel this year. Her combo spin had 2 variations on the forward sit, but she only showed one in the actual competition, iirc. She ends the change foot combo with a very nice simple layback (yeah!!!). The new variation was like a shoot the duck with a twist position. It looked interesting enough, without being a struggle for her. Her final spin is a layback/beilman. All spins are very well choreographed to the music.

All in all, the program seemed to take 2 minutes. She's in great shape and covers a ton of ice. She gains speed effortlessly, it's remarkable to watch. And watching her jump live, I don't know how to describe them - she simultaneously shows effortless power and ...daintiness... for lack of a better word. It's all so clean and effortless. She doesn't shock with her height, but she just stays airborne for so long. She looked very focused and a bit anxious today, but she reacted very well when things went a bit south here and there (the 1st lutz and the 2nd axel). She kept her warm up jacket on a long time, but it is always chilly in this arena. Oh - and she cut her hand again, I think on a catchfoot spin. She seemed to enjoy showing her sister, who was waiting to take the ice when Gracie came off. Hopefully she will gain confidence as the year goes on.

There were some big guns on the judging panel. I think I heard Gale Tanger's name and another nationals caliber judge who's name I forget. David Santee was the caller.

I missed the first 2 skaters of the 2nd group, but was able to see everyone else. For the most part, it seems that choroegraphers have adjusted to COP and the tweaks to COP have helped immensely. I saw some very nice choreography today!

ETA: Gracie had a 113 something for her FS. Given all the doubles, it seems a bit high. But it's a very good program in every respect, so I'm guessing the PCS is high.
    Last edited by Coco; 07-13-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Thanks, Coco, for cross-posting your impressions of Gracie Gold's FS debut today from the Kiss and Cry forum.

Gracie scored 113.96 (54.25 TES/60.71 PCS -1 for time deduction?) at Skate Milwaukee today, landing 4 triples (was told 3Lz+3T, 3S, 3Lo, 2A) and I heard she focused on her choreography in the second half and watered down her remaining jumps (2F, 2Lz, 1A+2T).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-13-2013 at 09:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Thanks, Sylvia!!!

Here is my long winded report

I saw Gracie's LP today. She was anxious, and while she did a flawless 3z3t in the warmup, and at least 2 other flawless, epic 3z's in the warmup, she had a bit of a lean with a pause on the landing of her opening 3z. She still managed a very nice 3t on the end of the lutz, though, so good for her.

Her jump layout was...3z3t, 3sal, 3loop (she hung in the air FOREVER on this, it may have been doubled today), then 2a, ina into 2z, 2(?)a2t (wonky on the axel), 2f2t(? not sure about the combo) After the opening section she obviously backed off the jumps. I'm not 100% sure of the order of the last 4 jumping passes. Also, she may have wanted to do the 2a3t combo where the first 2a is, or perhaps she was just ahead of the music. It looks like she's supposed to end that jumping pass on a big clash of the cymbals

I really loved the music cuts and the program as a whole!!! There is a LOT going on in this program, transitions wise, and she handled those very well, although she did seem to rush through the inside spread eagle at the end. I really liked the ending, although today she seemed to end up too close to the boards. There was a part after the step sequence where I thought she didn't make it work, but 85% of the program she pulled off very well. It is a lot more lyrical than last year's effort, but it's not a ridiculously insipid pwetty pwincess program. They let her power shine through. The dress....well, it's pink. But she handles the choreography very well and it doesn't look unnatural on her for the vast majority of the program. She's got parts she can improve on, to be sure, but this is a very good vehicle for her, imo. There is just one little arm gesture at the very beginning that doesn't fit AT ALL and has to go. You'll know it when you see it.

Her flying spin is a 1 foot combo instead of flying camel this year. Her combo spin had 2 variations on the forward sit, but she only showed one in the actual competition, iirc. She ends the change foot combo with a very nice simple layback (yeah!!!). The new variation was like a shoot the duck with a twist position. It looked interesting enough, without being a struggle for her. Her final spin is a layback/beilman. All spins are very well choreographed to the music.

All in all, the program seemed to take 2 minutes. She's in great shape and covers a ton of ice. She gains speed effortlessly, it's remarkable to watch. And watching her jump live, I don't know how to describe them - she simultaneously shows effortless power and ...daintiness... for lack of a better word. It's all so clean and effortless. She doesn't shock with her height, but she just stays airborne for so long. She looked very focused and a bit anxious today, but she reacted very well when things went a bit south here and there (the 1st lutz and the 2nd axel). She kept her warm up jacket on a long time, but it is always chilly in this arena. Oh - and she cut her hand again, I think on a catchfoot spin. She seemed to enjoy showing her sister, who was waiting to take the ice when Gracie came off. Hopefully she will gain confidence as the year goes on.

There were some big guns on the judging panel. I think I heard Gale Tanger's name and another nationals caliber judge who's name I forget. David Santee was the caller.

I missed the first 2 skaters of the 2nd group, but was able to see everyone else. For the most part, it seems that choroegraphers have adjusted to COP and the tweaks to COP have helped immensely. I saw some very nice choreography today!

ETA: Gracie had a 113 something for her FS. Given all the doubles, it seems a bit high. But it's a very good program in every respect, so I'm guessing the PCS is high.
    ^^^Thanks for a report in detail, Coco. You are the best! YAY Sounds Gracie's Sleeping Beauty is so nice. Hopefully someone will upload a video. I'm thrilled.

vCash
    Sounds like Gracie has made strides to really perform her programs and listen to the music more. The key will be to do it in big time competitions when the nerves are there.

vCash
    Looks like she knows where she needs to improve and is making the necessary adjustments. Curious to see how she develops this season...again, for her I think it's gonna be 90+% mental. She'll be in great shape, ready to go but will her mind be where it needs to be?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Looks like she knows where she needs to improve and is making the necessary adjustments. Curious to see how she develops this season...again, for her I think it's gonna be 90+% mental. She'll be in great shape, ready to go but will her mind be where it needs to be?
    I agree. I think the only person that can stop Gracie is Gracie herself.

vCash
    I can't wait to see this program. I really want to like Gracie.

vCash
    Thanks for the detailed report on Gracie. Can't wait to see this program!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Courtney Hicks debuted her Senior SP at LA Open yesterday to the Soul Surfer soundtrack (click on the article link in post #906 above for more info on her programs). She tweeted this 15-second video clip that includes her big 3F+3T combo (she reportedly landed 3Lz, fell on 2A & scored 58 points for 1st place): http://instagram.com/p/butG9MF9g9/

Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast