Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

vCash
    Ashley Wagner's interview with a Seattle TV news station at her final Stars on Ice tour stop in Vancouver last weekend (includes clips of her skating in the show and appearances by her fellow cast members): http://www.king5.com/sports/US-figur...207959541.html

ETA 2 photos tweeted by Seattle local news station KING5 on location last week in Vancouver:
    "In beautiful Vancouver w/ ashwagner2010 Great interview. Final night for @starsonice Canadian tour" http://pic.twitter.com/jKtbyMgh0n

"The @starsonice folks hit the streets of Vancouver, @AshWagner2010 & @Pchiddy mugging for the camera." http://pic.twitter.com/GlFodVwVFK
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-18-2013 at 03:00 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    WOW Caroline!! That's impressive!! She looks really good from that pic.

Any word yet on whether she is competing this season or not?
    Happy birthday Caroline !!!!

As for competing, she will probably get at least one GP event. ( I hope. )

vCash
    What a nice friend Grant Hochstein is :
    "I did up the rink for @carolinezhang 's 20th birthday. It's pretty fancy." http://pic.twitter.com/jPut8pLmry

ETA another photo tweeted by Hochstein: "Me and the birthday girl @carolinezhang" http://pic.twitter.com/IaTc5ieNQ8 (yum!)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-20-2013 at 09:10 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Wow. Caroline Zhang is 20! Where did the time go???!!!! Happy birthday and best of luck in the coming season!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Wow. Caroline Zhang is 20! Where did the time go???!!!! Happy birthday and best of luck in the coming season!
    That's just what I was thinking! I still remember when she first broke onto the scene as a junior and my mom called me all excited, having read about her in some Chinese newspaper where they explained that her name was "OO" (yuanyuan in Chinese, sounding like "round-round")

Time flies!

vCash
    Just wondering what y'all think...

Who's the better 6.0 skater: Caroline Zhang or Mirai Nagasu?

vCash
    I would love to see Caroline, Mirai and Rachael in Sochi. That would be neither realistic nor good for figure skating, I guess.

Realistically, I want Agnes, Gracie and Ashley. If Agnes can put it together in a year or two, and Gracie keeps it up in the meantime, I think that there may be a rivalry between them. Can that positively affect figure skating in U.S.? I think so. Agnes and Gracie for the 2013-2014!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    Just wondering what y'all think...

Who's the better 6.0 skater: Caroline Zhang or Mirai Nagasu?
    The first two years of Caroline's senior career were really good. She medaled at both of her GPs (bronze and silver) and came in 4th at the final. 4th at nationals with a beautiful FS and 2nd a junior worlds. The next year it became apparent her technique issues were a problem but she she still managed some really good performances and good placements (bronze at a GP and nationals, 4th at 4CC (behind the future Olympic medalists) and another medal at junior worlds).

After that everything went downhill. I will say for a while there Caroline cranked out really solid programs with consistency...much better than Mirai ever managed to do. Mirai's overall skating is far superior to Caroline's but I really wish Mirai had some of Caroline's focus.

It's strange how in 2008 we were looking at these two as the future. Various setbacks and pitfalls have prevented either from becoming the major world competitor we'd thought they would be.

Mirai still has a chance reclaim some of that 2010 magic but I don't think Caroline will ever get her basic skating to where she needs to be in order to compete at the top level of US skating. I love her to pieces and I wish her the best. Her Ave Maria and Lullaby for a Stormy Night are programs I will always love...

vCash
    Polina Edmunds skated her Senior FS at her club's competition this past Saturday (also her 15th birthday ) and scored 101.22 points (no detailed protocol available). She had scored 107.76 in her winning Junior FS at Gardena Spring Trophy in early April - I'll re-post the Gardena video link here in a minute.

ETA:
    1 Polina EDMUNDS USA 158.45 1 1 (107.76 FS, landed 6 triples: 3Lz+3T, 3F+3T, 2A, 1F, 3Lo, 3S+2T+2Lo, 2A). SP jumps: 3Lz+1T, 3F, 2A.
    Edmunds' Gardena Junior FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJKpEQwWOs
    She debuted a new program to Edvard Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite in Italy (her SP video from there hasn't shown up).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-22-2013 at 07:54 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by key65man View Post

Realistically, I want Agnes, Gracie and Ashley. If Agnes can put it together in a year or two, and Gracie keeps it up in the meantime, I think that there may be a rivalry between them. Can that positively affect figure skating in U.S.? I think so. Agnes and Gracie the 2013-2014!
    Agnes? She's not exactly a newbie any longer and the girl has never skated a senior long program that was anything beyond mediocre. I'm getting major Nikodinov vibes from her. Sure, she can skate a great short most of the time, but she can't make it through a long program, even with less technical merit than most of her competitors. I say Gao all the way.

vCash
    Cross-posting my reply to Stephanie's question in GSD... Leah Keiser's Team USA bio now lists Tammy Gambill in addition to John Nicks as her coaches: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=101024&mode=I
    Gambill coached Keiser when she won the 2008 U.S. Juvenile Girls title.

vCash
    I somehow missed seeing this April 15 sports business news article about Nike's new sponsorship deal with Gracie Gold: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...Nike-Gold.aspx
    Gold, 17, will be the company’s second figure skater. Nike signed Sochi 2014 hopeful Ashley Wagner, a 21-year-old from Virginia, earlier this year, and it plans to feature both athletes in public relations and marketing efforts aimed at driving the company’s line of women’s workout apparel.

Terms of the agreement weren’t available.
    Based on tweets within the past 2 days, Gold just visited Nike headquarters in Oregon:
    http://pic.twitter.com/0lkwOGssQv
    http://pic.twitter.com/oSc6fKWvux
    With 3-time Olympic gold medalist beach volleyball player Misty May-Treanor (trying a sit spin on the floor!): http://instagram.com/p/ZlpA-8LAiV/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-23-2013 at 03:23 AM.

vCash
    Interesting how Nike jumped on the singles "band wagon"...but not Meryl, who is already an Olympic medalist, and just about guaranteed a medal in Sochi? Can't say the same for Wagner or Gold.

vCash
    Looks like U.S. ladies singles figure skaters still are considered the most marketable "commodities" by the biggest corporations. At least Meryl Davis & Charlie White are sponsored by Kellogg's heading into the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Agnes? She's not exactly a newbie any longer and the girl has never skated a senior long program that was anything beyond mediocre. I'm getting major Nikodinov vibes from her. Sure, she can skate a great short most of the time, but she can't make it through a long program, even with less technical merit than most of her competitors. I say Gao all the way.
    Badmouthing Agnes….check….inspiring nick….check….my enemy list….check…

Actually, I quite understand your sentiment, and I will be happy to see Christina make the Oly team ahead of Agnes.

But, I do like Agnes because she can create a bit more unique aesthetics on the ice right now. Although I am not all too happy with her Gershwin LP in terms of choreography and performance, David Wilson may do some good for her with a Tango LP as he did with the SP. she may be able to do a better job with it than Christina with her Libertango LP because I think Agnes has better artistic disposition.

I hope that Agnes can pull off either 3Lz-3T or 3Lo and 2A-3T or at least 2A-3T next season. And, if she can manage no more than one mistake for LP at the same time, she may even be able to challenge both Ashley and Gracie at Nationals. Too optimistic? Sure. But, considering that Agnes did well with her LPs when she was junior, it is not out of reach.

Though she looks incredibly fit, to improve her jump, Agnes somehow may need to find a way to lose a few more pounds as long as the weight loss doesn't affect her metabolism and energy level negatively. Weight control is half the battle for ladies, and "fit" sometimes doesn't cut it in this business.

The next season is critical for her. I hope she makes it.
    Last edited by key65man; 05-23-2013 at 03:54 AM.

vCash
    I don't think Agnes' weight is an issue so much as her height, and maybe her general build overall where she has broader hips, which usually is not good for figure skating. The girl is all muscle and very thin and wiry through her upper body, if she lost weight, it would have to come in the form of muscle, which is unlikely to help her jumps. At 5'7" though it's not surprising she's not the most consistent jumper, you don't see many ladies of that height at the very top. Carolina is the exception, but she used to be really inconsistent too and her incredible speed helps her pull off the jumps, Agnes doesn't have the same kind of speed and further, Carolina's build is different as she really has no hips and her height is all in her legs. The other thing I wonder about is if Agnes' jumps aren't the most consistent because they are so huge. It must be harder to control the landing of these jumps when you go so high in the air.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I don't think Agnes' weight is an issue so much as her height, and maybe her general build overall where she has broader hips, which usually is not good for figure skating. The girl is all muscle and very thin and wiry through her upper body, if she lost weight, it would have to come in the form of muscle, which is unlikely to help her jumps. At 5'7" though it's not surprising she's not the most consistent jumper, you don't see many ladies of that height at the very top. Carolina is the exception, but she used to be really inconsistent too and her incredible speed helps her pull off the jumps, Agnes doesn't have the same kind of speed and further, Carolina's build is different as she really has no hips and her height is all in her legs. The other thing I wonder about is if Agnes' jumps aren't the most consistent because they are so huge. It must be harder to control the landing of these jumps when you go so high in the air.

Her jumps are big, and I agree with you that the size of her jumps is an important factor affecting her landing consistency. A bit more precisely, though, it is the total energy involved in a jump, and the total energy of a jump is correlated with weight. Shedding a few pounds can improve landing consistency in general.

I absolutely agree with you that her height may be one of the big disadvantages for Agnes. But, there is nothing she can do about it. She can do something about weight, though. Of course, provided that the weight loss does not diminish her ability to function normally.

I know weight loss sounds bad because she looks so fit and thin already. But, it is the Oly season. Agnes will have to do everything possible to gain a slight advantage.

Then again, her landing inconsistency may be a technical issue -- I don’t think it is, but only she and her coaches can know about it -- or it can be entirely psychological. If she can rectify it without losing any weight, then shame on me.

If she does well in Grand Prix events without losing any more weight next season, then she should keep things status quo. If not, she may have to try some slow, well controlled weight loss.
    Last edited by key65man; 05-23-2013 at 03:25 PM.

vCash
    Would like to see a dark horse, like Polina Edmunds for example, be the shining star at Nationals this pre-Olympic season!

vCash
    ^^I think Polina is still too new. I think someone like Courtney Hicks or Angela Wang has the most potential to shine at nationals. If Polina can get past the puberty monster unharmed I think she will put pressure on Gold and the rest of the post-Sochi US ladies. She's a little star already but I'm thinking her time will be later on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    ^^I think Polina is still too new. I think someone like Courtney Hicks or Angela Wang has the most potential to shine at nationals. If Polina can get past the puberty monster unharmed I think she will put pressure on Gold and the rest of the post-Sochi US ladies. She's a little star already but I'm thinking her time will be later on.
    Courtney Hicks has overcome a lot to get her jumps back after breaking her leg! (this in and of itself deserved a huge fluff piece on TV, IMHO, unless I missed something) Think she was on the way to becoming USFS's next anointed one until she broke her leg.....& her jumps are huge!!

Angela Wang has big, powerful jump combinations, and lots of star power, so I guess both she and Hicks could be considered dark horses in the race at US Nationals next year.
    Last edited by demetriosj; 05-24-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast