Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Um, Christina does not have the carriage and the spine flexibility to be a ballerina but I am thrilled to hear that she is working on this. It would take her skating to the next level, along with the 3f3t. Best of luck!
    She is sooo close to it not being an issue for me anymore, but yeah still way too stiff. I can see the "it" in her now as of this year though, she really has an insane amount of musicality and potential. If she could work on it more (there was an obvious difference in her carriage this year IMO), like a LOTTTT more, I think she could be a very big threat internationally. I love her basic skating and the confidence she's starting to project in her choreography and nuances, she's developing into a beauty. Very similar look and style to Arakawa (remember how stiff she was the first half of her career as well? Her spiral alone went from Tatiana Malinina to Nicole Bobek) IMO, I just wish she would train over-splits with perfect shoulder carriage every single day. She has almost no leg flexibility to speak of, which really in the end kills her beautiful line. At any rate I've been ambivalent towards her since her debut, but as of this year I rather like her and want her to sign up for a Sasha bootcamp (tm)!

vCash
    USFS needs to push for Polina for Worlds and Sochi. She's got the big jumps and the musicality already!!

She should not be told to "sit back and wait" for her turn, as they have done so many times in the past with other talented skaters.
    Last edited by demetriosj; 04-05-2013 at 11:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    USFS needs to push for Polina for Worlds and Sochi. She's got the big jumps and the musicality already!!

Somehow, I hope you're kidding...I really, really do...:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post

She should not be told to "sit back and wait" for her turn, as they have done so many times in the past with other talented skaters.
    I agree but highly doubt this will happen. Polina is already a star and beyond the jumps and hard content she is graceful and balletic. It has been awhile since we've seen a skater in the US who is really strong in both those respects, the last I can think of is Mirai before she went through puberty and got injured.

vCash
    1 Polina EDMUNDS USA 158.45 1 1 (107.76 FS, landed 6 triples: 3Lz+3T, 3F+3T, 2A, 1F, 3Lo, 3S+2T+2Lo, 2A). SP jumps: 3Lz+1T, 3F, 2A.
    Here's Edmunds' winning Gardena Junior FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJKpEQwWOs
    She debuted a new program to Edvard Grieg - I recognized the well-known "Morning Mood" as the 2nd half piece but is the first half also from Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Polina is a great jumper, but i hope people don't pressure her too much. She still has a long way to go before she has the artistry to match the top ladies. That being said, she'd have a top lady's score if she hadn't singled the flip in the FS and the toe in the SP. Very happy to see no URs from her at Gardena. Hope she has a great JGP season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    is the first half also from Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite?
    Yes, Solveig's Song

vCash
    Karen Chen's FS from Gardena: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miV5tUkVI0w

What a talented kid! I hope there's room for her on the JGP this fall.

vCash
    ^^^ Karen's FS is "The Godfather."

ETA this astute post from the Gardena competition thread in Kiss and Cry:
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    IIRC, she skated to The Godfather for her [Novice] FS last season [2011-12], and the dress looks familiar too. She needed a Novice-length FS here so I wouldn't be surprised if she used her old one.
    Chen's double Axel covers so much ice! And what a fast Biellmann spin at the end! I think by sending her to Gardena, USFS is very likely to give her a JGP opportunity this fall.

1 Karen CHEN USA 131.24 1 1 (89.94 FS, landed 5 triples: 2A+3T, 3Lo, 3Lz+2T, 3S, 3Lz, 2A). SP jumps: 3Lo< fall, 2A, 3Lz+2T.
    Karen reportedly is coached by Tammy Gambill now, although her Team USA bio has yet to be updated: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=101483&mode=I
    Thanks for identifying the first piece of Polina's new FS program:
    Quote Originally Posted by alexikeguchi View Post
    Yes, Solveig's Song
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-08-2013 at 02:13 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Wow, Karen Chen's jumps look so much better!

vCash
    Christina Gao tweeted this pic from the rink in NYC's Central Park today: "Having an amazing time @FSinHarlem with @agneszawadzki and @NastiaLiukin! A great event for a great cause!!" http://pic.twitter.com/tIR1dCz1wq

ETA that Alissa Czisny was there too - more photo links in the FS in Harlem thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...milton-Lysacek
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-09-2013 at 03:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Wow, Karen Chen's jumps look so much better!
    Tammi is quite amazing

vCash
    Sports Illustrated article on Agnes Zawadzki by Olympic columnist Brian Cazeneuve (April 10): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mor...zki/index.html
    (She visited the SI offices in NYC this past Monday after her Figure Skating in Harlem appearance.)
    Excerpt:
    In either case, Zawadzki's story begins in the old country. Her parents came to the States from their native, Gdansk, Poland when Agnes, mother, Jolanta, was pregnant with her. The parents divorced when Agnes was an infant and Jolanta worked double shifts as a nanny and housekeeper to pay bills. (Agnes' father died when she was ten.) Once Agnes began graduating from the mommy-and-me introductory skating classes in the Chicago area, the expenses included the skating lessons that can run roughly $60,000 a year at the advanced levels for coaching, choreography, ice time and outfits.
    And there is much to think about for what is the most important season of her career to date. She has decided to keep her existing short program, choreographer by David Wilson and skated to music from Sex in the City. Her long program will have a decidedly different look, a tango, though she won't reveal more details yet. The ambitious music of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue will be gone. She will bring back the Axel-toe loop combination jump that she abandoned last year in favor of an easier toe-toe combination. She'll add a triple loop, which she considers perhaps her weakest jump, and she may add a tricky Lutz-toe combo, since her triple Lutz is superb.
    Zawadzki will be guest starring at the Coon Rapids Ice Center in Minnesota on Saturday, April 27 at 6:30 pm and Sunday, April 28 at 2 pm: http://www.coonrapidsicecenter.com/iceshow.htm
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-11-2013 at 04:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Zawadzki will be guest starring at the Coon Rapids Ice Center in Minnesota on Saturday, April 27 at 6:30 pm and Sunday, April 28 at 2 pm: http://www.coonrapidsicecenter.com/iceshow.htm
    And skating two programs each night! One is her "I Will Always Love You" exhibition and the other is to "Sway," I believe.

vCash
    Great article on Agnes. I'm so glad she is keeping her "Sex in the City" short as I am a big fan of it! I don't know about her doing Tango music for her long program, but I'll wait and see.

vCash
    I like Agnes and I have no doubt that she can pull off a tango, but I don't think it is such a great idea, especially if she's trying to stand out in an Olympic year. Everyone will be doing tangos or skating to old war horses like Carmen. But if it's what she thinks is best then I look forward to seeing it!

vCash
    Team USA Triumphs at 2013 ISU World Team Trophy: http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2013/...d-team-trophy/
    “I couldn’t be more proud of Team USA,” team captain Ashley Wagner said. “Everyone went out and skated with their hearts and really pulled it together during a difficult time. It’s not easy to compete at the end of the season and a few weeks after Worlds. But here we are and everyone skated so well. I’m very proud.”

Simply put, Gracie Gold and Wagner were on fire for Saturday’s free skate with both ladies earning their best free skating scores of the season to propel Team USA to victory.
    “I’m ecstatic,” she [Wagner] said. “I’m tired. It’s been a long season. But season’s best at the last competition of the year, I can’t be happier. Even with the hair mishap, it was a fun program for me more than anything else.”
    “I need to work on choreography and have more intricate programs,” she [Gold] said. “I also need to work on doing the same thing at every competition with less up and downs. Just ups – good performances for next year.”

vCash
    Good for Wagner for opening and closing the season well in Japan. She absolutely needed this after falling 5 times in her last 3 competitions. Also, importantly for her, she held off Gold again.

Despite impressive jumps and spins, Gold left a little sour taste in my mouth by rushing her choreo sequence (and many other moves). Didn't help that she was skating before or after Asada, Wagner and Suzuki who all had amazing choreo sequences.

vCash
    Great comeback after the short by both US girls at WTT.

Watching Wagner's long program was a revelation of sorts for me. She is much more enjoyable to watch when she cuts the choreographic strings and lets go. For the first time watching her I felt like she really performed during that long program. Here's hoping she continues with this level of performance because she was spectacular! I also hope she continues to try the 3/3 in her programs starting with her first GP. Get the monkey off her back early so she can get more comfortable landing it in competition. Can't wait to see what her programs look like next season.

I continue to be impressed by Gold. She's got incredible jumps, speed, power and her spins are top notch. I think she is completely deserving of 7's in PCS for SS and that's a credit to her coaching team and to her. Having said that, I really hope she gets some outside input over the summer beyond her current coaching team. IN, PE and CH still have a lot of room for growth and her current programs don't match her style or performance ability. She's got a solid foundation to work with and I hope she looks for and finds the right person to help her improve in these aspects. What a great senior debut for her.

Can we fast forward to October now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Great comeback after the short by both US girls at WTT.

Watching Wagner's long program was a revelation of sorts for me. She is much more enjoyable to watch when she cuts the choreographic strings and lets go. For the first time watching her I felt like she really performed during that long program. Here's hoping she continues with this level of performance because she was spectacular! I also hope she continues to try the 3/3 in her programs starting with her first GP. Get the monkey off her back early so she can get more comfortable landing it in competition. Can't wait to see what her programs look like next season.

I continue to be impressed by Gold. She's got incredible jumps, speed, power and her spins are top notch. I think she is completely deserving of 7's in PCS for SS and that's a credit to her coaching team and to her. Having said that, I really hope she gets some outside input over the summer beyond her current coaching team. IN, PE and CH still have a lot of room for growth and her current programs don't match her style or performance ability. She's got a solid foundation to work with and I hope she looks for and finds the right person to help her improve in these aspects. What a great senior debut for her.

Can we fast forward to October now?
    I agree Gracie needs to go to a top notch choreographer who knows what to do with her and figure out how best to package her. She needs to start learning to project better to the crowd and understand the music that she is skating to. She's not a natural performer like some other skaters but the right choreographer will work with her on that. She seems to know what her weakness's are which is a good start.

Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast