Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    A few years ago a figure skater named "Mia" was the American Girl Doll of the Year and had a couple of kids' books in her line.

If I do say so myself, we FSU-ers wrote a few stories under "Continue the Story" threads. Maybe we should start another one after Worlds this year. You can search for the old ones in the archives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Flying camels and Tiger mothers (Andy Schell) - this book is hilarious!
    I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it sounds good.

vCash
    "Blade of Glory" (2007) starring Will Ferrell

vCash
    Iceman brought up Belita, the ballerina/ice skater contemporary of Sonja Henie in another thread. I hadn't thought about her in a long while, but I searched the web and found that her movie "Suspense" is now available on DVD. It is a film noir about a love triangle/murder in an ice revue. I ordered it and am hoping the story is as good as the skating. I will let everyone know of it lives up to expectations.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Here's a press release for a new skating fiction/contemporary romance novel titled Laying Low in Hollywood by "former professional skater and ‘Holiday on Ice’ performer, Jean Stanberry": http://www.sbwire.com/press-releases...vel-212619.htm
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Does anybody remember a teen skating novel (I purchased it at a book fair in the early 90s) about a girl who skated and the coach forced her to cut her hair after she messed with her ponytail too many times?

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    I knew somebody who wrote a romance that featured a skating coach. After it was published, she told me she'd bring her daughter to our rink for early morning patch and see all the skating mothers flipping through her book to see if any of the characters resembled them (none did). The book is Hero at Large.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    I watched "Suspense" a movie starring Belita and Barry Sullivan. It was the story of a man who becomes obsessed with the star of an ice show and plots to take her Svengali husband's place. The acting is a liitle thin, but the skating is worth the price of the DVD. Some of the numbers are on YouTube.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=yDvAFbi-ats

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=6c04O57jS-E

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...eature=related

Belita was a British ballerina who competed in the 1936 Olympics at age 12 in figure skating. She did skating movies and shows as well as ballet, and danced with Gene Kelly.
    Last edited by aliceanne; 03-02-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12