Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Actually, the SoCal media regularly covers misdeads by the LAPD because they have such a history of corruption. It's possibly they may not have found Dorner's claims credible but I'm sure they would have looked into it just because piling on the LAPD is such a media tradition there and there would have been plenty of journalists eager to find another example of the LAPD engaging in misconduct.
    Yuppers. The only people I know here who support the LAPD is related to a cop. That's it. Everyone else thinks all cops suck and are corrupt, etc etc. They would have GLOMMED onto Dorner's case like a fly to honey. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the people on "Team Dorner" are SoCal residents for that reason. The LAPD has that bad of a reputation here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    You are making it sound like Dorner had no choice but to murder people in order to get the problem fixed.
    That's not at all what agalisgv is saying or suggesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Yuppers. The only people I know here who support the LAPD is related to a cop. That's it. Everyone else thinks all cops suck and are corrupt, etc etc. They would have GLOMMED onto Dorner's case like a fly to honey. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the people on "Team Dorner" are SoCal residents for that reason. The LAPD has that bad of a reputation here.
    I don't think that is true at all. I have lived in LA my entire life and think, for the most part, we are pretty jaded about the LAPD. I think we generally acknowledge that the LAPD has a bad reputation and is corrupt, but for the most part, unless the corruption rises to the level of a Rampart-level scandal or gets publicity like Rodney King, it is treated like an out-of-sight, out-of-mind issue.

A single police officer being drummed out of the force is not going to receive much notice, particularly when the evidence is he said, she said. There are plenty of instances of more egregious conduct being overlooked that received virtually no public notice. For instance, are you even aware of this 2011 racial and sexual harassment and retaliation case from 2011? It only got minor coverage in this minor local paper, not any significant coverage. Typically, only when the LAPD gets hit with a big verdict like it was nailed with in November does the local media take notice.

And where was the major outcry when, last May, the Inspector General issued a report that described significant problems with improper investigation of complaints and retaliation against complainants. What I found amazing were some of the numbers that were given for the results of internal affairs investigations during the quarter analyzed. Astonishingly, only about 10% of the allegations were found to have merit. Even more astonishingly, when the allegations were broken down, only 1/11 of the sexual misconduct, 0/15 of the ethnic remark, 1/10 of the discrimination, 0/14 of the retaliation, 0/79 of the biased policing, and 2/250 of the unauthorized force allegations were sustained. That is four out of a total of 379 allegations. Even setting aside the possibility that the latter two categories may have been prompted by allegations from outside the LAPD, the first four categories of allegations would have almost always been raised by other employees, who one would suspect had to have thought long and hard about raising their allegations. Yet onyl 2 of 50 of those allegations were found to have merit.

Moreover, the report examines how the LAPD dealt with six claims of retaliation during that same quarter. In four of those instance, no interviews with the alleged wrongdoers were even conducted.

I will admit that the report received a little coverage in the LA Times, but it wasn't like the public really sat up and paid attention. The response was what it generally is -- it's just the LAPD being the LAPD. In response, the Police Commission will issue some new policies and, in four or five years, we will get another report or scandal about how corrupt the system is.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    This was a horrible sequence of events, but leave it to The Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/tay...stopher,31287/
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I support the LAPD although I have no relation with any cops or the entire city of LA for that matter. I work with both first responders and the mentally ill.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234