Blergh
    vCash

Music that Needs to be Skated to for the Olympic Season

I was listening to some of the film scores that are nominated for the Academy Award (Anna Karenina, Argo, Life of Pi, Lincoln, and Skyfall) and started thinking of Olympic routines.

If given the choice, what music would you pair up with which skater/pairs/dancers for Sochi?

After listening to the Beasts of the Southern Wild soundtrack, I think The Shibutanis can actually do wonders with it. It's grand enough to take the audience on a journey, it's varied enough to keep our interests, it's different enough to try to appease the critics that their routines are too similar (music choice is always the first step to answer that criticism), and it has great danceable moments (great portions for steps and other portions for lifts).

Here's a clip from soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFFiaTOAWIc

Since I'm in the soundtrack kick, I wonder if any dance or pairs team could pull off Zero Dark Thirty's more cerebral score. I'd love it if a single lady would have the guts to go for it like the main character in the film does.

vCash
    ^ Totally love that piece of music and when I watched the film I immadiately asked myself who could use this in figure skating lol. I thought of W/P.

I recently came across this video by Sigur Ros http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfJVAoTE2PI and was left totally speechless. I love the dancing to this song and thought it would be amazing if someone used a Sigur Ros piece for skating. Not necessarily this one, I think there are better suited ones for the ice, but they have such amazing music and if a skater/couple can handle experimental material/contemporary choreography I think it could work out really well.

vCash
    I want to see someone do Howard Shore's soundtrack for The Hobbit...Over Hill has a great crescendo that would make a magnificent step sequence...

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    Once There was a Hushpuppy almost always makes me tear up. It's such a joyful, triumphant song. I really hope one of the top teams uses it, either next season or in the quad after. It would be such a wonderful, uplifting program to watch. The Shibs and W/P would be great candidates. Someone needs to send it their way.

Sigur Ros would be wonderful. This was always my favorite song of theirs when I was in high school. I would watch the video all the time. It's so intense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ZtT4Th9Ys

I am a massive Bobby McFerrin fanatic and I'd love to see something of his successfully translated (and not Don't Worry, Be Happy). Such as Brief Eternity (which I believe is in memory of his father). It's unbelievably gorgeous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGqjerNVbts

I really need to comb through music appropriate for the ice dance SD. I hope we don't get a hundred Sinatra medleys with Sing Sing Sing tacked onto the end. I may cry for different reasons. Olympic A games must be brought.

Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I want to see someone do Howard Shore's soundtrack for The Hobbit...Over Hill has a great crescendo that would make a magnificent step sequence...
    I keep hoping that a certain blond, hobbit-haired ice dancer and his elfin partner will take advantage of the aesthetic situation and honor us with some Hobbit or LotR.

vCash
    Word. Somebody somewhere needs to skate to Shore's Hobbit or LotR. He's just too amazing of a composer!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luvsasha2 View Post
    Word. Somebody somewhere needs to skate to Shore's Hobbit or LotR. He's just too amazing of a composer!
    I am actually extremely surprised that LOTR wasn't completely overused when it came out. Great soundtracks.

vCash
    I really don't know why no one has ever skated to anything from Battlestar Galactica, particularly Roslin & Adama, which is already exactly 2:50 long and is absolutely gorgeous.

vCash
    There should be Carmen, of course! If that was V/M's, I'll be beyond happy!

vCash
    Here is another Bobby McFerrin piece without lyrics, Common Threads. I think Anna O skated to this, but just a snippet of it in her SP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGnT7gnJR3o
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I thought as soon as I heard it last summer that I would like someone to skate to some of the music composed for the Opening Ceremony of the London Olympics. The main pieces that come to mind are Caliban's Dream and And I Will Kiss, but I think any of the music composed for the ceremony by Underworld could work, and they could all be cut together quite easily as the same musical themes run through all of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    I keep hoping that a certain blond, hobbit-haired ice dancer and his elfin partner will take advantage of the aesthetic situation and honor us with some Hobbit or LotR.
    Yes. At least for an exhibition! Who cares about all these pop songs. Do it, Meryl and Charlie!!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I want to see someone do Life of Pi. That's a brilliant score.

I'm still holding out for an Edward Scissorhands program, though.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I want to see someone do Life of Pi. That's a brilliant score.

I'm still holding out for an Edward Scissorhands program, though.
    ITA on Life of Pi. That music is gorgeous.

As for Edward Scissorhands...that would've been PERFECT for Chait/Sakhnovki.

Team Voronov, party of 1
    vCash
    The video game nerd in me would love for some guy to skate to the Panzer Dragoon theme. It's so majestic, yet powerful and masculine, and just screams OLYMPIC GAMES GLORY. Maybe Joubert....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by circuscandy View Post
    "blond, hobbit-haired ice dancer and his elfin partner" Love the description!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I am actually extremely surprised that LOTR wasn't completely overused when it came out. Great soundtracks.

Love all the LOTR soundtracks! Bought the first one when we learned Todd E. was going to skate to it for 2001/2002. Originally he was going to skate to music from "Band of Brothers" (bought that one too, & I treasure it).

This goes back to 1996, but how about John Williams' "Summon the Heroes?" I think Brian B. skated to it as a pro, but I don't recall if an Olympic eligible skater used it for competition.

This also takes me back to 1998, when Shen & Zhao skated to a piece of music called "Mount Olympus." I was impressed with them from that moment on. A preview of great things to come for them?

vCash
    Platov did lord of the Rings when he first coached
    C/S. great program I read something about
    Pappa Chait bring TAT and she changed the program

vCash
    I've always thought that Dangerous Liaisons has a beautiful score that would be perfect for skating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Ba0krGzzY

vCash
    Born in the USA, Rocky III, and Patrick skating to that annoying violin guy that Evgeny has attached to his broken hip.