Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Cool Yamaguchi & Davis/White among Team Kellogg's™ Team USA Athletes for Sochi 2014

Press release: http://newsroom.kelloggcompany.com/2...m-USA-Athletes

Meet Team Kellogg's
    A mix of nine Olympic medalists and Sochi Games hopefuls make up Team Kellogg's roster. Olympic gold medalist and figure skating legend Kristi Yamaguchi will serve as co-captain, along with hockey great and Olympic gold medalist Jim Craig.
    Meryl Davis & Charlie White – Ice Dancing
    When Davis and White began skating together in 1997, their biggest hurdle was making eye contact with each other. But after working together for 15 years they've overcome that to become five-time national champions, Olympic silver medalists and world champions. They're now determined to bring home gold at the 2014 Games in Sochi.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Read the list. Jimmy Craig is the other co-captain. Wow, Jim Craig!

I almost never use the word "iconic" because that should be reserved for moments that really are - and now it's used to describe just about everything (thank you 24-hour news cycle for that!) but that young man (years ago - 1980) wrapped in the American flag on the ice after the semi-final win against the Russian team in Lake Placid is one of the most iconic American Olympic moments. I remember it like it was yesterday. I think almost everyone who saw it then remembers it like it was yesterday - our country needed that moment at the time (Iran hostage crisis) and those kids (and our hockey team was mostly young, amateurs - Craig, the goalee, was around 22 at the time) came through in a way that still is unforgettable - I'm getting teary again just thinking about it.

Of course it would have been the biggest let-down in the world if they had not won the gold two days later by beating the Finnish team - but they did it again! For those who didn't live through it, it is hard to imagine how riveted the entire country was on that USA/Russia match but we really were! And the USA team was the underdog by far; the Russians, a much more experienced team, were clearly favored to trounce us.
    Last edited by Willowway; 02-07-2013 at 06:35 PM.

vCash
    The Russians did trounce us two weeks earlier. I think the score was 10-2. I'm glad to see all of these folks. This sounds like fun.

vCash
    Glad to see Davis and White get endorsements. They have been great for so long- Silver in Vancouver and maybe the only lock on a US Team spot in Sochi. Congratulations!

vCash
    Saw this on their Facebook page. I'm sure they'll be eating lots of Froot Loops and PopTarts as a result.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Saw this on their Facebook page. I'm sure they'll be eating lots of Froot Loops and PopTarts as a result.
    Exactly what their nutritionist would recommend. ;P

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Always glad to see skaters get some endorsements and I'm happy for Meryl and Charlie. They've maintained a high level of skating for a long time, and always represent their sport well.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett